M1 w/ window - best flat CPU cooler

Kibby

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Nov 4, 2018
Hi,

I am planning on getting M1 with window panel really soon and currently looking through dozens of build to figure out what would be the best. I am aware that in terms of cpu air cooling w/window U9S with double fans is the preference of most. But the thing is that I am really into flat coolers. Something like Dark Rock TF is awesome, but unfortunately probably too tight with the window. What would be the best flat cooler in this case? And what would be an optimal airflow direction in terms of rear/bottom fans with proposed cooler?

Cpu: 4790k 4.6 ghz oc
Gpu: Msi GTX980 4G Gaming (1080ti planned, something like Gigabyte G1)

Thanks

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
I think the C14/C14s and Darkrock TF would be too tight, you could go the L12s.

I cannot speak to the performance of the top down with the glass panel.
Another alternative would be the cooler that DAN over at Dancase had a part in. It is also all black from what I gather, quite pleasing on the eye and about 50mm tall so plenty of space.

Raptor_N60

Caliper Novice
Nov 5, 2018
I just happen to have a windowed M1, and I once tried to fit in the Darkrock TF, as I think it is the only top flow cooler that supports trident Z memory.
The cooler "kinda" fits. I am using 2700x on Strix B450-i motherboard, and without the top fan the cooler does not have any compatibility issues with the window, but you might want to glue the PSU to the front panel rather than mounting on the bracket for additional room.
However, the heat-pipes on the cooler seems to push against the ram, making the system unbootable under XMP. Hence the "kinda" word.
My setup was all mesh covered M1 panels with two Fractal design Venturi HP-12 fans on the bottom as exhaust, and my non-oc'd 2700x was hovering around 50 deg Celsius idle and 70-80 deg Celsius in Aida64.

Hope that my experience is of a help to you.

SmootyPoody

Efficiency Noob
Aug 27, 2018
Get A Noctua C14S and mount the fan underneath.. Make sure you use a SFX to ATX bracket and install the SFX PSU in ATX mode. Otherwise the fan cannot fit.

That is the best solution.

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
With a glass panel this is far from the best option. With the glass panel I found the c14s to be on par if not slightly worse than the d9l. The d9l is a fair margin worse than the u9s .

It may be the best top down option perhaps, if so you would want some serious air flow in the case .

With the normal perforated side on the case I was very happy with the c14s both thermals and noise. The glass starves it. Hence my completely unsupported suggestion of the L12 due to more clearance and potentially more air available around the heatsink.

Raptor_N60

Caliper Novice
Nov 5, 2018
With a glass panel this is far from the best option. With the glass panel I found the c14s to be on par if not slightly worse than the d9l. The d9l is a fair margin worse than the u9s .

It may be the best top down option perhaps, if so you would want some serious air flow in the case .

With the normal perforated side on the case I was very happy with the c14s both thermals and noise. The glass starves it. Hence my completely unsupported suggestion of the L12 due to more clearance and potentially more air available around the heatsink.
Did you happen to pair the C14s with any high profile rams? I am wondering if Trident Z will fit under the C14s in low profile mode..