Sff coolers for overclocking

Spacepope94

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 6, 2017
Hi everyone,

New to the forum, I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

Are there any low profile coolers capable of handling an overclocked cpu?

Particularly, an 1800x. I want to squeeze out as much performance out of this CPU for my workload as possible. I'm new to overclocking and would like to run my 1800x at a range of between 3.8-4.0.

I'm using an s4 mini so there isn't a lot of room. Currently, I am cooling it at stock settings with an nh-l9i

Thanks

Spacepope94

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 6, 2017
There are other low profile coolers as well, but they won't suddenly give you -10C lower temperature compared to your NH-L9i (especially since you're using S4 mini)

Well unless you go this route: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/grandeur.220797/ :)

Edit: however, I'm not knowledgeable in OC, so maybe the others can help.

I'm starting to think overclocking isn't feasible with such a small case/cooler. Right now temperatures with the nh-l9i are good and stay below 80c under load

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Hi everyone,

New to the forum, I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

Are there any low profile coolers capable of handling an overclocked cpu?

Particularly, an 1800x. I want to squeeze out as much performance out of this CPU for my workload as possible. I'm new to overclocking and would like to run my 1800x at a range of between 3.8-4.0.

I'm using an s4 mini so there isn't a lot of room. Currently, I am cooling it at stock settings with an nh-l9i

Thanks
Short answer, there are none. Long answer, you have to hack some part of the case to support low profile water cooler or bigger HSF. Cryorig C7 has higher TDP at 100 watt over NH-L9i 95 watt, but with extra 10 millimeter of height.

The 1800X TDP is 95 watt and at full load stock it runs about 92-94 watt. You need quite a beefy cooling to overclock it. On a side note, better you go for 1700 as its overclock headroom is the same as 1700X and 1800X.

AP2

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 1, 2017
I’m using a Titan TTC-NC25/HS with my 8700k in a s4 mini. I don’t overclock, but the cooler has a tdp of 130. Maybe the AMD version will work out for you.

Spacepope94

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 6, 2017
Short answer, there are none. Long answer, you have to hack some part of the case to support low profile water cooler or bigger HSF. Cryorig C7 has higher TDP at 100 watt over NH-L9i 95 watt, but with extra 10 millimeter of height.

The 1800X TDP is 95 watt and at full load stock it runs about 92-94 watt. You need quite a beefy cooling to overclock it. On a side note, better you go for 1700 as its overclock headroom is the same as 1700X and 1800X.

I bought the 1800x because I didn't really know overclocking was even a thing. I just assumed it was better than the other two (it's the first computer I've ever built).

From what I've been reading overclocking is a luck of the draw that varies from chip to chip. If I'm understanding what your saying the 1700 can be overclocked to the same as an 1800x.

If I tried running it at 3.8Ghz would the TDP change or will it always be 65?

Would there also be any issues with stability because the jump from 3.0 to 3.8Ghz (1700) is more than from 3.6 to 3.8Ghz (1800x).

Spacepope94

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 6, 2017
I’m using a Titan TTC-NC25/HS with my 8700k in a s4 mini. I don’t overclock, but the cooler has a tdp of 130. Maybe the AMD version will work out for you.

Thanks, but it doesn't seem to be readily available stateside.

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
you have to hack some part of the case to support low profile water cooler.
What about hot rod mod with Corsair H5 SF ?
But not sure about mounting with side bracket to motherboard:

Last edited:

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
if not just sell the 1800x and grab a ryzen 5 1600 or ryzen 7 1700

EDIT:
you will also need super slim fans to go with those coolers

Last edited:

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
If I tried running it at 3.8Ghz would the TDP change or will it always be 65?

Would there also be any issues with stability because the jump from 3.0 to 3.8Ghz (1700) is more than from 3.6 to 3.8Ghz (1800x).
Don't quote me on this as my knowledge for overclocking is very general. In short, if you want to overclock Ryzen 7 family, go for the 1700, it doesn't matter if its base clock is lower than the 1800X, it's built off the same wafer which means it has similar tolerance. The clock difference is the result of "product binning" where AMD (or Intel), tests the processor and found at what speed/configuration the processor runs best at. For Ryzen 7, processor that runs stable at 3 GHz at 65 watt TDP goes as 1700, the one that runs stable at 3.6 GHz at 95 watt TDP goes as 1800X.

My friend who owns a computer store, an avid AMD fan and rain down on me about everything AMD. Suffice to say, all Ryzen 7 system he built overclock stable at 3.9 GHz with minimal voltage increase, even the 1700, which he built for his own daily use. So basically, the 1800X is generally not recommended if you're going to overclock as the price is too high and the benefit from the overclock is minimum. Still, there's also the golden bin or bin roulette or whatever the cool kids said it today. Some processors overclocks higher than the rest in one processor family, that one is luck of the draw.

For overclocking, you can throw TDP out the window as it will be higher than non overclocked model. TDP or Thermal Design Power is the theoretical maximum heat a processor generates when running. Matching a processor TDP with HSF/AIO rated TDP is a good practice, but you can put a higher TDP HSF/AIO to a lower processor TDP rating is still okay. Ryzen 7 processor XFR (extended frequency range) actually benefits from this since when it's needed, the XFR feature will boost the clock, basically automatic overclock, when it detects that sufficient cooling is available. I don't know if it works or not, my stock 1700X only reached 3.9 GHz on short bursts and that's with generous airflow and 120mm AIO inside my Phanteks Evolv ITX.

Still though, I'm not against overclocking, but for SFF, better just use the stock configuration. Some SFF users even underclock their system to make it as silent as possible.