Which CPU cooler orientation is best for Noctua U9BSE2

erotavlas

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
I have the Noctua U9B SE2 (similar to U9S), and I'm about to secure the cooler to the motherboard, but not sure which orientation to place it. I have the two fans with my cooler and in my original ATX case I had them configured to push air through the cooler and out the back of the case.

However this case has top ventilation holes so I have an additional option.

1) Is it better to have it so the cooler fans exhaust out the back of the case?
https://1drv.ms/u/s!An6UczaZhdfhkp51cInYKkpHwUQRBw?e=xI7JG3

2) Or should I exhaust out the top of the case?
https://1drv.ms/u/s!An6UczaZhdfhkp56I7rqBBhYcQvA9g

Exhausting out the top has the additional benefit that the fans don't overlap with the ram, but instead one fan overlap partly over the M2 slot. When the cpu cooler is oriented so the fans exhaust out the back one of the fans sits on top of the RAM modules, not a big deal but just wanted to mention it in case its an issue for the RAM having a fan on top of it.

Also I have this additional 120mm fan (regular thickness) where is the best place to put this fan? (anywhere but bottom because of my video card thickness)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An6UczaZhdfhkp556N25VpOGIe7n6Q

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
In general, your NH-U9B SE2 cooler exhausting air through the case rear is better.

As long as the 'push' fan does not physically have conflict with the ram modules, there is no problem. In fact, having airflow in this direction can potentially cool the ram modules as air is being pulled over the modules into the CPU cooler. Similarly, this direction of airflow can potentially cool the onboard M.2 drive (which is between the CPU and the display card).
Also, suggest to experiment with putting one of the two 92mm fans as an exhaust fan on the case rear. This may help exhausting hot air out of the case better (as it looks like your display card is an internal exhausting design.)

BTW, both your pics show exactly the opposite air flow direction. That is, 1st pic shows fans intaking air from rear rather than exhausting. 2nd pic shows this mistake as well.

For the 120mm fan, I suppose the only place to go is the bracket on the left side. You will have to experiment if it helps there, either as exhaust or intake.

Last edited:

erotavlas

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
The cooler fan will physically touch the top of the ram module when I tested it. Does this matter?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The cooler fan will physically touch the top of the ram module when I tested it. Does this matter?
Yes, it does matter. Long term speaking, the tiny little vibration of the fan might affect the ram slot, IMHO.
You can try to shift/slide the 'push' fan just a little bit up, if it is possible with the U9B SE2.
If not, if the touching is only very small, I would just use a file to shave off a little bit plastic off the fan's frame. As long as no physical contact, it will be OK. Slide a piece of paper into the gap to test for zero resistance.