A4 or S4 mini for 2700x

Candyhands

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 26, 2019
So I'm definitely going to purchase one of these cases, I just can't decide between them. At the end of the day, it just boils down to which one has better cpu cooling performance. I'm just not seeing too much about the 2700x in either of these cases and would love any help.

madmax

Caliper Novice
Apr 17, 2019
The Skyreach 4 Mini is a HTPC case that does not support any internal PSU. As the 2700X does not have integrated graphics, you will have to add a GPU. But as external PSU aren't available with more than about 200W, this GPU had to be extremely low powered... Such a card in combination with a 2700X wouldn't make much sense. In addition, the 4 Mini just supports 45mm of CPU cooler clearance, which is absolutely nothing for a 105W TDP chip like the 2700X, no chance to cool it properly.

The Dan A4 can handle up to SFX-L PSUs which are available up to 800W, so you have much more power to fit an GPU with adequate performance. If you get your hands on a 92mm AIO, you have a good chance to cool the 2700X, but it still won't be ideal.

My suggestion would be to go for the NCase M1 with a 240mm AIO for your CPU.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
But as external PSU aren't available with more than about 200W, this GPU had to be extremely low powered... Such a card in combination with a 2700X wouldn't make much sense.
Huh? There are a number of much higher powered PSUs for the mini, including a 400w internal power supply that's compatible with an rtx 2070 card. Look up the HDplex 400w ac-dc. I have an S4m with an 8700k and a 1080 powered by a 450w power supply from GUnique.

In addition, the 4 Mini just supports 45mm of CPU cooler clearance, which is absolutely nothing for a 105W TDP chip like the 2700X, no chance to cool it properly.
Again, I have an 8700k in mine cooled by an l9i which performs just fine.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
So I'm definitely going to purchase one of these cases, I just can't decide between them. At the end of the day, it just boils down to which one has better cpu cooling performance. I'm just not seeing too much about the 2700x in either of these cases and would love any help.

The A4 will cool better if you use the 92mm aio, probably cools about the same as the s4m with an air cooler. The A4 will obviously have bigger gpu compatibility and supports standard power supplies.

If all you care about is cpu performance, get the a4 and the aio. If you care more about size, go with the s4 and get the hdplex 400w ac-dc and dc-dc combo and find a gpu that fits with it. Check out some of Josh's most recent streams on youtube to hear him talking about/building in the mini.

Reactions: Candyhands

Candyhands

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 26, 2019
If all you care about is cpu performance, get the a4 and the aio.

Thanks, I'll go with the A4 then. I'm def going to be using this computer for light gaming (probably just a 580 for the gpu), but nothing more than that. It's going to be a music production system that is going to travel around a little bit, so cpu thermals/performance are my main concern . Thank you.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Elerek