Concept Hackintosh with Louqe Ghost S1 and Ryzen 7 2700x

NebuR

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
Hello everyone, i'm planing to build a hackintosh with the latest amd Ryzen 7 2700x using the sff Louqe Ghost S1 MkII.

At the moment i'm in the search for the perfect hardware but while searching for the i'm not sure for some components compatibility with hackintosh and i need some help.

I'm a software developer and this build is NOT for gaming, this is just for work, image processing and maybe video processing.

There is no budget but i'm not building a space rocket! Fill free to recommend other parts, i'm open to suggestions and when i have all the parts selected i'll create a build log.

Here is the list of the hardware i have in mind:
  • Case: Louqe Ghost S1 MkII
  • Power Supply: Corsair SF600
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

Monitor (not sure, one of those 2k ultra-wide 1440p)
  • LG 34UC99
  • Asus MX32VQ
  • Samsung C34J791

Hard drive (not sure)
  • Samsung 970 EVO

Ram (not sure)
  • HyperX Predator HX432C16PB3K2/16
  • Kingston HX432C18FB2K2/16

GPU (not sure)
  • Sapphire RX 580 Nitro
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G

Motherboard (not sure)
  • Asus - ROG STRIX X470-I

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
These are good choices.

Since you are looking alternative thoughts, G.Skill makes the of the best memory in the world right now and I have been able to buy it slightly cheaper that other brands. Micron is also a quality brand of RAM under the Crucial brand name and they guarantee compatibility. They have a compatibility tool on the Crucial site.

If you have thought about a CPU cooler and are not going to us an AIO or custom water loop with tophats, the Noctua NH-L9i has consistently been found to be the best overall CPU cooler when cooler height and square measurement are the main deciding factors.

AMD will be releasing the updated Polaris GPUs soon. You may want to wait a short bit to see what comes out. As it is, there is a big gap between the 1050 Ti and the RX 580 in performance. You might want to consider a more competitive GPU like the 1060 6GB. Beware though, Nvidia is releasing a new 1060 and while it has GDDR5 (faster RAM) indications are this new card will actually be slightly slower. In either the AMD or Nvidia situation, the near future will bring out the actual truth in performance.

Last edited:

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
in the ghost one can fit the noctua l12 with only the bottom fan (note this is the "discontinued" version that was brought back presumably for this case, NOT the l12S refresh). I believe in the low profile mode it'll beat out the l9i

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
...the Noctua NH-L9i has consistently been found to be the best overall CPU cooler when cooler height and square measurement are the main deciding factors.

AMD will be releasing the updated Polaris GPUs soon. You may want to wait a short bit to see what comes out. As it is, there is a big gap between the 1050 Ti and the RX 580 in performance. You might want to consider a more competitive GPU like the 1060 6GB. Beware though, Nvidia is releasing a new 1060 and while it has GDDR5 (faster RAM) indications are this new card will actually be slightly slower. In either the AMD or Nvidia situation, the near future will bring out the actual truth in performance.

in the ghost one can fit the noctua l12 with only the bottom fan (note this is the "discontinued" version that was brought back presumably for this case, NOT the l12S refresh). I believe in the low profile mode it'll beat out the l9i

There is also the Noctua NH-L9x65 SE AM-4, same footprint as the L9a, but thicker heat sink, which means more cooling capacity...

Since the OP is building a Hackintosh, he would want to go with an AMD GPU solution, be it the RX5XX series or the Vega series, as the AMD GPUs are better suited for macOS & Metal than Nvidia GPUs...

The worrisome thing about Hackintosh is that T2 security chip popping up in every new Apple computing product, I fear it my be the death f the Hackintosh movement soon...

If not the T2, when Apple transitions to their own CPUs in 2020, that will certainly nail the coffin shut on Hackintosh builds...

Reactions: Protools

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
These are good choices.

Since you are looking alternative thoughts, G.Skill makes the of the best memory in the world right now and I have been able to buy it slightly cheaper that other brands. Micron is also a quality brand of RAM under the Crucial brand name and they guarantee compatibility. They have a compatibility tool on the Crucial site.

If you have thought about a CPU cooler and are not going to us an AIO or custom water loop with tophats, the Noctua NH-L9i has consistently been found to be the best overall CPU cooler when cooler height and square measurement are the main deciding factors.

Hmmm.... I've always been inclined toward Corsair.