Ryzen 7 2700X & Radeon VII in this case?

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
Hey everyone!

I am doing an all AMD build with a Ryzen 7 2700X & Radeon VII and was originally going to use the Phanteks Shift X, but so many people told me not to, due to it's bad airflow and heat issues with powerful components even when liquid cooled.

I really like the look of the DAN A4-SFX, small and sleek. Would I run into any issues using this case with the 2700X & Radeon VII at all?

Here's my current build list:

I'm guessing I wont be able to fit the Kraken X62 in here?, so any other CPU AIO or air cooler suggestions for this case would be great.

TIA ?

Fazer

Trash Compacter
May 14, 2019
Hello.

If I'm right, with a big GPU like the Radeon VII, it will be impossible to put a 140mm AIO like the Kraken X62.

If you want an AIO, the best option is to go with the Asetek 645LT (92mm). Designed for the DanCase, it will go under the SFX PSU and should give good temps for your CPU.

Reactions: Dazr87

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
Hello.

If I'm right, with a big GPU like the Radeon VII, it will be impossible to put a 140mm AIO like the Kraken X62.

If you want an AIO, the best option is to go with the Asetek 645LT (92mm). Designed for the DanCase, it will go under the SFX PSU and should give good temps for your CPU.

I mean if there's a decent air cooler that would work, i'd be happy without the AIO, I did see the Alpenföhn Black Ridge, if that would be enough to cool the 2700X?

would I likely see heat issues with the Radeon VII in this case? I wont be doing any overclocking of the CPU or GPU either, just using them stock

Fazer

Trash Compacter
May 14, 2019
I mean if there's a decent air cooler that would work, i'd be happy without the AIO, I did see the Alpenföhn Black Ridge, if that would be enough to cool the 2700X?

would I likely see heat issues with the Radeon VII in this case? I wont be doing any overclocking of the CPU or GPU either, just using them stock

If you have low profile RAM it could be a good idea..

I can't tell if the Radeon VII will overheat in the case, @dondan should be able to give you the answer.

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
If you have low profile RAM it could be a good idea..

I can't tell if the Radeon VII will overheat in the case, @dondan should be able to give you the answer.
Oh ok, so that would be ram such as the T-Force Vulcan and Corsair Vengeance LPX right?

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
If you are looking to cool your CPU, you really should look at the Asetek 645LT - it's designed specifically for the Dan A4. The BlackRidge will give you good performance as well, and will generally give better GPU temperatures (since the AIO will dump hot air into the case and heat up the GPU somewhat).

The Radeon VII will also generate a lot of heat - it's a thirsty card. If you want both of these in the same A4 be prepare for high temps. Undervolting/thermal throttling will probably be a thing under the best of circumstances.

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
If you are looking to cool your CPU, you really should look at the Asetek 645LT - it's designed specifically for the Dan A4. The BlackRidge will give you good performance as well, and will generally give better GPU temperatures (since the AIO will dump hot air into the case and heat up the GPU somewhat).

The Radeon VII will also generate a lot of heat - it's a thirsty card. If you want both of these in the same A4 be prepare for high temps. Undervolting/thermal throttling will probably be a thing under the best of circumstances.
I'd be happy enough to go to the 2700 or even the 2600 if there's not too much performance difference?

Definitely wanna stick with the Radeon VII tho.

Would the change in CPU help much at all with this GPU temps in such small cases like the DAN and others?

Or should I go with a bigger more airflow type case when using such a power hungry GPU?

Cheers

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Or should I go with a bigger more airflow type case when using such a power hungry GPU?
SFF PCs are all about compromises. It comes down to how much you care about performance, noise, and size, and the balancing of all three. The smaller the case, the more difficult it will be to keep it both quiet and cool, thus limiting performance. So ask yourself which of those things is the most important to you, and plan accordingly. Can you fit a 2700X and a Radeon VII in a Dan A4? Hell yeah! Will it be loud because the fans are trying to keep everything cool? Quite possibly. But maybe you don't care about noise, and so that's no big deal: set your fans to 100% and go nuts. But marginally bigger cases will give you better cooling performance and thus be quieter, at the expense of added desk space.

Reactions: Dazr87 and Tazpr

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
So to weigh in as someone who's had both a Shift and a DanCase - the A4 will give better GPU cooling and the Shift will provide better CPU cooling.
If you go the DanCase with a 2700X I would highly suggest an AIO like the 645LT and you'll be fine - but it will be louder than a shift with a 140mm AIO - however a 2700 with a Blackridge would be cooler and hardly slower than the 2700X.

IMO go with the Dan as it's actually an easier case to build in and the Shift is not as small as it looks - it's gorgeous, but it's a pain and I had heaps of issues with mine.

Reactions: ermac318

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
But maybe you don't care about noise, and so that's no big deal: set your fans to 100% and go nuts. But marginally bigger cases will give you better cooling performance and thus be quieter, at the expense of added desk space.
Yeah that makes sense.

Noise isn't an issue for me, I'm just worried about keeping things cool enough so they don't break or stop working.

So to weigh in as someone who's had both a Shift and a DanCase - the A4 will give better GPU cooling and the Shift will provide better CPU cooling.
If you go the DanCase with a 2700X I would highly suggest an AIO like the 645LT and you'll be fine - but it will be louder than a shift with a 140mm AIO - however a 2700 with a Blackridge would be cooler and hardly slower than the 2700X.

IMO go with the Dan as it's actually an easier case to build in and the Shift is not as small as it looks - it's gorgeous, but it's a pain and I had heaps of issues with mine.
Yeah I'd be happy going 2700 route, no big deal.

Did you have the Shift or Shift X?

I was looking at the Shift X as I like the tall look it has, but I keep hearing not to use that case as I will have loads of issues using a Radeon VII in there. What issues did you have with it?

I'd prefer going the Shift X route, as much as I love the Dan, it's not readily available here in Australia, but the Shift X I can pickup locally, purely out of ease, but if it's going to cause too many issues, I might have to look at getting a Dan to Australia.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I'm just worried about keeping things cool enough so they don't break or stop working
Modern CPUs and GPUs don't have this problem. They will thermal throttle or turn off to prevent themselves from causing damage. True story, I was playing Rec Room in VR with some friends when I accidentally smacked my case so hard it knocked the stock Intel cooler (with its shitty retention mechanism) right off the CPU. Computer ran for a bit at a few hundred MHz until I figured out WTF was going on. CPU still works fine today.

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
Modern CPUs and GPUs don't have this problem. They will thermal throttle or turn off to prevent themselves from causing damage. True story, I was playing Rec Room in VR with some friends when I accidentally smacked my case so hard it knocked the stock Intel cooler (with its shitty retention mechanism) right off the CPU. Computer ran for a bit at a few hundred MHz until I figured out WTF was going on. CPU still works fine today.
Oh I see. So going with the Shift X or the Dan, worst thing I'd see is performance dips when it gets too hot? Here's me thinking things are gonna blow lol

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Yeah that makes sense.

Noise isn't an issue for me, I'm just worried about keeping things cool enough so they don't break or stop working.

Yeah I'd be happy going 2700 route, no big deal.

Did you have the Shift or Shift X?

I was looking at the Shift X as I like the tall look it has, but I keep hearing not to use that case as I will have loads of issues using a Radeon VII in there. What issues did you have with it?

I'd prefer going the Shift X route, as much as I love the Dan, it's not readily available here in Australia, but the Shift X I can pickup locally, purely out of ease, but if it's going to cause too many issues, I might have to look at getting a Dan to Australia.
I mean I'm in Melbourne - the Dan wasn't that much to get shipped here of SFFLAB.

The Shift is a bit awkward with its assembly (I didn't have the Shift X, just the Shift) but the issue is the orientation of the GPU means it's either intaking off the back of the motherboard - choking it of fresh air - or intaking against the window panel - choking it of fresh air. The DanCase has some of the best GPU cooling (I ran a 1080ti FTW3 in mine) because the GPU has a full side of unrestricted air to intake that's unpolluted from hot components.

The 2700 is a 65W chip, the Black Ridge is rated for 95 so it will be completely fine on it.

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
I mean I'm in Melbourne - the Dan wasn't that much to get shipped here of SFFLAB.

The Shift is a bit awkward with its assembly (I didn't have the Shift X, just the Shift) but the issue is the orientation of the GPU means it's either intaking off the back of the motherboard - choking it of fresh air - or intaking against the window panel - choking it of fresh air. The DanCase has some of the best GPU cooling (I ran a 1080ti FTW3 in mine) because the GPU has a full side of unrestricted air to intake that's unpolluted from hot components.

The 2700 is a 65W chip, the Black Ridge is rated for 95 so it will be completely fine on it.
Yeah I had a look and it was only $20USD to ship which is really good, the Sliger SM550 I also looked at but that was $87USD shipping, which is way more than I'm willing to pay for a case delivery.

I wouldn't mind having to open the lid or side glass now while gaming, but then I guess that defeats the purpose...

My Alienware 15 R3 laptop with the GTX1060 easily sits around 70-80c after some heavy gaming.

I've heard Radeon Chill can help drop the GPU temps by around 20c, would that be enough in this case so you think? Or probably better to give up on the Shift X and get the Dan?

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Yeah I had a look and it was only $20USD to ship which is really good, the Sliger SM550 I also looked at but that was $87USD shipping, which is way more than I'm willing to pay for a case delivery.

I wouldn't mind having to open the lid or side glass now while gaming, but then I guess that defeats the purpose...

My Alienware 15 R3 laptop with the GTX1060 easily sits around 70-80c after some heavy gaming.

I've heard Radeon Chill can help drop the GPU temps by around 20c, would that be enough in this case so you think? Or probably better to give up on the Shift X and get the Dan?
It's just software fan control and voltage control to manage temps, undervolting would give better results, but you could do that with either case and the bottom line is Dan A4 will give you substantially better GPU temps than the Shift.

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2019
It's just software fan control and voltage control to manage temps, undervolting would give better results, but you could do that with either case and the bottom line is Dan A4 will give you substantially better GPU temps than the Shift.
Ah cool, I wasn't quite sure what it did.

I think I'll go for the Dan. Seems the safer bet and saves me $220 not having to switch cases lol cheers buddy

Reactions: Tazpr