Motherboard A300 Mini STX and Z390 Micro STX up on SFFLab?!

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 29, 2019
I've been messing around with an mSTX concept that would allow the use of full size GPUs (maybe not the massive ones) with a mini STX sized motherboard in a case that should be the size of like an eGPU setup for a laptop. I'm at work and don't have my CAD models but a whipped up basic layout to help visualize it.

So a standard x16 slot would be placed on the back of the board allowing a riser to extend and turn 90 degrees so it would end up like a lot of SFF cases.

I just made this in power point, so none of this is to scale but resembles what I've done in CAD

I think this could be a compelling product for a company like Asrock, as they could bundle their own GPUs with it and not have to use really expensive mxm cards. The board could also be used in a regular mSTX case with out the dGPU (as long as the stand offs were tall enough).

Reactions: Bjornyyy

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
Has anyone looked at temperature drops for intel cpu when you disable the igpu? Can you disable permanently? Or better Q anyone know when coffee lake "T" cpus will be released?

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
Has anyone looked at temperature drops for intel cpu when you disable the igpu? Can you disable permanently? Or better Q anyone know when coffee lake "T" cpus will be released?
They have been released... but can't find any in stock at least here in UK.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
They have been released... but can't find any in stock at least here in UK.
Considering that they launched literally three days ago, that's no surprise. Wait a bit, they'll come around.

As for temperature drops when disabling the iGPU, they should be negligible. If you're using a dGPU, the iGPU is largely power-gated anyhow, with the exception of workloads making use of fixed-function hardware such as QuickSync video encoding.

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
Considering that they launched literally three days ago, that's no surprise. Wait a bit, they'll come around.

As for temperature drops when disabling the iGPU, they should be negligible. If you're using a dGPU, the iGPU is largely power-gated anyhow, with the exception of workloads making use of fixed-function hardware such as QuickSync video encoding.

I was referring to the 35w CPU's T series.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I cannot see the 9th gen either. I can see the F non igpu but no 35w T variants?
As I said, they launched 3 days ago. Probably haven't started showing up yet, but it's still logical for retailers to sell out and not restock (particularly for low-volume products) when replacements are on their way.

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Seems different generations MXM Standards are not compatible with each other? Which version MXM does this board use? Probably better check the MXM versions before diving in, not cheap those cards even 2nd hand..

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Pretty sure it supports A/B/B+ no?

"Discrete MXM slot with Type A/B/B+, up to GeForce GTX1080" - from the ASRock Deskmini GTX (Z390) product page

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Oh holy shit balls, they are stocking the friggen MXM cards themselves! That's sick as!

Just need to find someone who can make a custom full cover monoblock.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
Oh holy shit balls, they are stocking the friggen MXM cards themselves! That's sick as!

Just need to find someone who can make a custom full cover monoblock.
It's been there for a while I think? I must be honest I treated it with a pinch of salt, I understand why, but most things there seem to be out of stock/place holders. That said if/when they appear I think I would be moved to purchase because I really like the STX form factor (still a PC but not massively bigger than a SBC).