GPU M-STX and an "internal" PCIe GPU?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Hey!

I just tried doing a brief search to see if there were any threads about M-STX and discrete GPUs but didn't come up with anything.

As I understand it, MSTX boards don't typically have PCIe slots on them. I've heard of some folks using "MXM" video cards from laptops, which as far as I can tell are tremendously more expensive (and up until recently, a lot worse) than their desktop counterparts...

Is it feasible to use an "internal" PCIe "desktop-style" GPU with a M-STX board? Are there any boards that can do that and still have M.2 storage, Wifi/Bluetooth, and maybe even a SATA port?

If the stars align, I had a few ideas for case designs that I might wrestle trying to learn SketchUp to try to draft. It'd definitely be a useful skill to develop.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Mini-STX is the original version and the only way currently to hook up a GPU to one is via a M.2 to PCIe x4 adapter. That gives up use of the M.2 SSD port though.

There's the new Micro-STX from ASRock that has an MXM slot and multiple M.2, but at that point if you're going to cobble together a desktop GPU to it you might as well go Mini-ITX.

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
There's the new Micro-STX from ASRock that has an MXM slot and multiple M.2, but at that point if you're going to cobble together a desktop GPU to it you might as well go Mini-ITX.

Hey! Your STX160 is awesome and it could definitely be considered an inspiration for this idea.

I'll look into the Micro-STX from ASRock, but basically, the reason I'm trying to avoid using a Mini-ITX board is because it's extra 'width' compared to a video card. The reason I'd like to be able to use desktop video cards versus MXM is simply for how much more available and affordable they are.

Any idea if there'll be a MXM to PCI-e adapter some time in the future?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
but basically, the reason I'm trying to avoid using a Mini-ITX board is because it's extra 'width' compared to a video card.

What video card did you have in mind? There's not many significantly shorter than 170mm.

Not to discourage you, but I think it's important with such projects to step back and consider if you'd actually gain anything by going the route less traveled.

Any idea if there'll be a MXM to PCI-e adapter some time in the future?

This guy made his own: https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...sion-project-complete-some-kinks-to-iron-out/

I can't find the link, but I recall there existing an adapter you could buy. But it was expensive and huge.

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
I've never handled a video card that wasn't close to ~1/2-2/3 the width of a mini-ITX motherboard. Typical video cards are at least as long as a mini-ITX motherboard.

Looking into it, I think it's typically considered a GPU's "height," what I'm referring to. I'm thinking of a slimmer, rectangular case design where the GPU and the motherboard are vertically stacked. Reducing the size of the motherboard would be able to shrink the footprint of the case significantly, if I'm not mistaken. It would shave off about ~50-60mm compared to the EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING, ACX 2.0's height of ~111mm. (4.38" listed on Newegg)

Going off of the forum post you listed, there's this adapter I found. I'm a little confused as to why it has all that video I/O on it, though?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
To be clear, mobo width is from rear IO to opposite edge, and height is the other direction. So then you don't want Micro-STX then since that's taller than Mini-ITX.

Basically you want something like my STX160.0 build that LocoMoto linked. By using Mini-STX I was able to fit both a motherboard and that EVGA 1060 SC in a case that conforms to the ATX PSU width of 150mm (width instead of height since the case normally lays down horizontally).

Going off of the forum post you listed, there's this adapter I found. I'm a little confused as to why it has all that video I/O on it, though?

It uses a HDMI cable to transfer the PCIe signal rather than using a custom-built cable.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Sorry for not using the proper terms. Yes, I'm envisioning something very similar to your STX160.0 build. I'm going to do some more homework on STX boards, though ASRock's newest Z270 seems to be the most fully-featured one. With how many M.2 slots it has, it might even be reasonable to just use one of those for the GPU.

The rough idea is to make an "as-small-as-possible" case around a versatile STX board that still can accept common desktop-size components. Targeted at people who travel or go to LANs or whatever other similar use-case there may be. Likely, it would be presented similar to how the 'barebones mini-PCs' like NUCs and so on are sold, motherboard included.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
One thing to keep in mind about the Micro STX board, is how much data you can push through the PCH via those three M.2 slots. The entire PCH has a maximum bandwidth of PCIe 3.0x4. While running a GPU on a pure PCIe x4 link will give near full performance (5-10% performance loss at most), you also would need to put any other M.2 devices you plan on using as well as all USB devices on the same PCIe x4 link. At least on a standard Mini STX, you would be using your only M.2 for the GPU and then would have a measly SATA III HDD on the same link.

SIEGEX

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
Been considering a STX build myself. And after researching 2nd hand mxms the cost is ridiculous unless your in early as I have seen 980mxm's go for under $400, yet your still making a random buy "if" it doesn't work.

So in my mind I think merging x2 Stix together and the top stx will be the gpu housing would be more ideal.....even more so as from this point full modding can come in to play.

Now it's a matter of figuiring out how to cut and shut

Sorted......