Motherboard A300 Mini STX and Z390 Micro STX up on SFFLab?!

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Looks great, but I have some questions.

1. Will SFF Lab start stocking MXM GPU's as well? I would be interested in the Quadros.
2. Would Asrock do a AM4 version of the Z390M-STX MXM board?
3. As crazy as this sounds, but could a future STX board support a brickless build?

Reactions: Windfall

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I might just buy one of these when they're available for shits and gigs.

I really hope some custom cases and custom cooling mounts for the MXM card follow suit.

Something that allows me to mount a low profile CPU cooler on an MXM GPU would be really cool - or just a monoblock.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I'll be picking up an A300 board the moment they go live. I want to build a STX rig for each of my kids :D

Reactions: annasoh323

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Anyone know where you can buy MXM GPU's inexpensively?
It almost seems cheaper to buy a laptop and pull it out...

Edit: you can get them on TaoBao but they cost a fortune, naturally... Like $750 for 2060 and 1800 for a 2080

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Anyone know where you can buy MXM GPU's inexpensively?
It almost seems cheaper to buy a laptop and pull it out...

Right now my money is on AsRock offering Navi based MXM cards in-house for this platform. They're an AMD AIB partner now and seening as Polaris-based AMD cards in this format are already available from TUL/Powercolor this really isn't much of a stretch. Here's hoping they make a proper Phantom GPU cooler for this format as well (heatpipes etc). Without discussing the particulars of pricing, I can also tell you that the AIB for Nvidia gouges something fierce for their cards. I would expect AMD products from AsRock or anyone else for that matter to be significantly more reasonable in price which would likely remove barriers from the Micro-STX ecosystem.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Right now my money is on AsRock offering Navi based MXM cards in-house for this platform. They're an AMD AIB partner now and seening as Polaris-based AMD cards in this format are already available from TUL/Powercolor this really isn't much of a stretch. Here's hoping they make a proper Phantom GPU cooler for this format as well (heatpipes etc). Without discussing the particulars of pricing, I can also tell you that the AIB for Nvidia gouges something fierce for their cards. I would expect AMD products from AsRock or anyone else for that matter to be significantly more reasonable in price which would likely remove barriers from the Micro-STX ecosystem.
I'm wondering if there will be any HBM2-based cards in that form factor like Vega is today (Navi is rumored to be GDDR6 based), because fitting a single package of GPU+HBM2 memory on an MXM card would be pretty trivial and much easier to cool (since all the heat is generated on the single chip and then the VRM, no need to cool memory chips).

Didn't know Asrock is now an AIB, that's cool.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018

I thought MXM was an Nvidia property?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Interestingly, that connector is completely ignored in the motherboard manual, but one would assume it's a 19v connector.

Almost certainly 19V. I recently got a response from AsRock regarding the A300 board and it is 19V input only. I can't see why it would be different on the Micro STX.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
A card with HBM2 would be perfect for MXM since you're only cooling a single chip package rather than discrete RAM chips.