Prototype 8.5 liter sandwich case with extra wide GPU cupport (2.7 slots)

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Just to show you what I've been working on lately.

Again, it's going to be 3D printable, but also CNC-able. The design is such as so it will reduce the 3D printing artifacts to keep the quality of the parts more aesthetically pleasing.

Looks very nice, and very machinable!

EDIT: Not certain but looks like 45 bucks in materiel, if you're going aluminium. A steel version would be sick though, only probably weigh 30 pounds.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Looks very nice, and very machinable!

EDIT: Not certain but looks like 45 bucks in materiel, if you're going aluminium. A steel version would be sick though, only probably weigh 30 pounds.

Oh yes, I'm not sure though if a lot of people would like to carry a 7 liter case in their backpack weighing 30 pounds plus equipment XD

The pieces also make it possible to flat pack. Although I will probably offer the option to sell them pre-assembled.

Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Oh yes, I'm not sure though if a lot of people would like to carry a 7 liter case in their backpack weighing 30 pounds plus equipment

The pieces also make it possible to flat pack. Although I will probably offer the option to sell them pre-assembled.

The steel version was a joke, really. Do some more renders of the CNC version though. See if you can't get more attention!

Reactions: CC Ricers

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The steel version was a joke, really. Do some more renders of the CNC version though. See if you can't get more attention!
Here's a render I made with a silver color. It's an older render as I haven't yet made the rear I/O in this one.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Could you do a version that is less deep to accommodate a Meanwell PSU + J-Hack Distro400 instead of a conventional PSU?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Wow, the bezels look really great. Could you give us more infos about the specs?

Thanks! Specs are the following for now:

Dimensions: 316mm L x 116mm W x 199mm , 7.3 liters
GPU: up to 305mm (12 in.) length, 2 slots
CPU cooler: up to 48mm height
PSU: SFX or SFX-L
Storage: 1 x 2.5" in front, optional 3 x 2.5" in bottom front
Cooling: 1 x 92mm fan in bottom front (with only 1 x 2.5" drive)
Material: ABS plastic, 6061 aluminum for later phase

Could you do a version that is less deep to accommodate a Meanwell PSU + J-Hack Distro400 instead of a conventional PSU?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Would the case be shorter from front to back or at the sides? Either way that will reduce compatibility with other parts. I could possibly make an adapter to work around it, but an overall smaller case would be something I'd consider later down the road.

Yeah, that looks GOOD. What fasteners are you using?

I'm using M3 hex standoffs for fasteners. The are attached to the other end with a second screw, and some of them lock and connect other pieces with them.

Are you going to be selling this project as well?
If you mean the .STL files, maybe not as readily as the last one. I'd like to do a pre-production run first in ABS, sell a couple of pre-made cases all in the same configuration aside from colors. Then I'll be able to branch out into other configurations and materials.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
So for the next plans I am still finalizing the design for the PSU mounting since that is the one thing that has stumped me the most. I foresee getting enough funds to print a case or two, plus some PC components that would suit more mainstream builds. They won't all be brand new (I always wanted to own a Asus 980 matrix) but will be enough for good thermal testing.

Expect to see a physical prototype in the next week or two. If a second one is possible I will have that one printed in a white color.

Reactions: Pallaf

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
So for the next plans I am still finalizing the design for the PSU mounting since that is the one thing that has stumped me the most. I foresee getting enough funds to print a case or two, plus some PC components that would suit more mainstream builds. They won't all be brand new (I always wanted to own a Asus 980 matrix) but will be enough for good thermal testing.

Expect to see a physical prototype in the next week or two. If a second one is possible I will have that one printed in a white color.

Asus 980 Matrix is one of the coolest cards I've ever seen. I'd also like to get me a ROG ARES II.

Reactions: CC Ricers

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
It looks to me like waterjet-cut glass panels would be very doable, with some nice thumbscrews.
I need to talk to my friends @ Radius West. They have a waterjet I could probably commandeer for a few things...

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
What about the price? How much would you charge for 6061 and ABS?

I am looking at $90 to $100 for ABS (this includes acrylic side panels). Still not sure on the price range for 6061. Just note I want to have it under $200 as I want to have this be a step below "premium" price tier.

Reactions: Windfall and Pallaf

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I am looking at $90 to $100 for ABS (this includes acrylic side panels). Still not sure on the price range for 6061. Just note I want to have it under $200 as I want to have this be a step below "premium" price tier.

Even selling it for 10-15 less than the 200 dollar base would be a huge reason to buy for some, but I still think SFX support is a must.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Definitely agree on the SFX support. I have just optimized the layout first for 3D printing so that it can be printed in beds with 300mm max length, but the case is designed to support 305mm cards. That's a bit more support than a few other sandwich style cases out there and still remain under 7.5 liters.

Also on a side note, I have placed the prototype Flex ATX case for sale if anyone's interested in that.

Reactions: Windfall