TechPowerUp 700W SFX-L PSU from SilverStone!

A higher wattage version of the SX500-LG? Dual Titan-Xs here I come :p

http://www.techpowerup.com/212925/silverstone-ready-with-a-700-watt-sfx-l-power-supply.html

Reactions: WiSK

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
LOL I was just on my way to post a topic here :D

Very very VERY relevant to the Kimera Habanero.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
You beat me on HardForum so we'll call it a draw :p

Really hoping the fan is suitable on this thing. It's Platinum rated so it's going to be marketed as a premium product so hopefully they spent the extra money on a proper fan controller.

Last edited:

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's a huge, huge deal for us. Now, basically any dual-GPU build you can come up with has an SFX option, and one that's absolutely killer on paper.

What a development for SFF.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yeah it must be awesome from your perspective, I'm too very happy about this because of this. Platinum would mean less heat emited at the same load as Gold, since they already could get 600W out of a smaller package, it comes as no surprise but still very interesting. Go SFX-L !

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Tom's has more details on this - and has confirmed that Silverstone released this info, so we know for certain that it's legit now:
Today, SilverStone sent us some juicy details about a new SFX-L format PSU: the SX700-LPT.

The SX in the name indicates that it is part of the SFX series, the 700 is for its wattage, the L for the longer SFX format, and PT for Platinum. Yes, you read that right; this is an SFX-L PSU that can push up to 700 W and packs an 80-Plus Platinum efficiency certificate.

It comes with one 24-pin ATX connector, one 8-pin EPS connector, three or four lines for SATA or Molex connectors (the total will be decided by how many connectors are on each cable, which is typically three), and most impressive of all, the image reveals not one, but two PCI-Express power headers (see the blue connectors).

To each one of these PCI-Express power headers you'll be able to attach a cable that ends in two 8-pin PCI-Express power connectors, meaning that technically, if you really wanted to, you could drive two graphics cards from this little puppy.

At press time, SilverStone hasn't yet revealed info on pricing or availability. And all of the exact juicy tech specs are still to come.

It has the exact cabling you need to power two GPUs, which is great to hear - using adapters with the 500/600W units they have is clearly a bit of a pain (let alone quite messy).

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
To each one of these PCI-Express power headers you'll be able to attach a cable that ends in two 8-pin PCI-Express power connectors, meaning that technically, if you really wanted to, you could drive two graphics cards from this little puppy.

They make it sound like such an iffy proposition when it's doable on the 600W with adapters :p

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
They make it sound like such an iffy proposition when it's doable on the 600W with adapters :p

Heh, no kidding. The full quote goes like this (emphasis mine):
To each one of these PCI-Express power headers you'll be able to attach a cable that ends in two 8-pin PCI-Express power connectors, meaning that technically, if you really wanted to, you could drive two graphics cards from this little puppy. Of course, any case that can house two graphics cards can probably house a full-size ATX power supply, too. But this will be useful for powering a dual-GPU graphics card in a Mini-ITX case, although you'll really be pushing the power envelope of the SX700-LPT if you decide to take that route.

Aahhhhem....

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Just realized, SilverStone is starting to have quite the portfolio of SFF PSUs:

ST45SF
ST45SF-G
ST30SF
SX600-G
SX500-LG
SX700-LPT
SX600-LPT

Now they need a 300W fanless :D

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I'll take one for my next build! I'm might even end up maxing out all 700Watts.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Neat backstory.

EDIT: Reading the story more closely... (emphasis mine):
The Silverstone 700W SFX-L power supply unit will be the most powerful small PSU on the planet when it is officially released in the coming weeks. KitGuru was given an exclusive first look at the newcomer on Thursday.

That suggests an availability in the summer, not the fall. Though, they still don't have the pricing locked down, apparently:
At present the 600W Silverstone Strider SST-SX600-G SFX modular 80 Plus Gold PSU retails for £104.99 in the U.K. and costs $118 – $125 in the U.S. The final pricing of the 700W SFX power supply units is unknown, but it is likely that they will cost a similar amount of money.

“We are working on final pricing, but it is possible that the new 700W SFX-L unit will be priced at a similar level,” said the expert.

I guess we can only wait and see!

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm wondering if they know that they could easily ask $150 for this PSU since it's so unique and I doubt people getting dual high-end GPU's will complain about $30.
When the SX600-G was announced, people were already throwing cash at their screens.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
It's possible the Gold will be $150 and the Platinum even higher, if they really do intend to release 2 units.

rawr

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2015
Welp time for me to build a super SFF tri-sli 980 machine.

(No but seriously 3*170W gives enough room for maybe a low power i7 :p)