TechPowerUp 700W SFX-L PSU from SilverStone!

A higher wattage version of the SX500-LG? Dual Titan-Xs here I come :p

http://www.techpowerup.com/212925/silverstone-ready-with-a-700-watt-sfx-l-power-supply.html

Reactions: WiSK

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The only thing is the transient power fluctuations may trip the overcurrent protection. Only way to find out is to try :p

What case would you do this in? Can't imagine anything you'd do tri-SLI in that couldn't take an ATX PSU.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
It's such a hassle trying to find single slot cards for high end. Other than the 980 Kingpin, I can't think of any in North America. If I recall correctly, that card has a taller PCB, so you then need to worry about that (depending on the case you use).

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This has four 6/8-pin PEG-connectors, I believe ? Would it even be enough with stuff like the Asus X99M-WS having a PEG-connector for the PCIe slots, two 8-pin CPU connectors and now Asus is coming out with sound cards that have a 6-pin PEG connector.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The second 8-pin for the CPU and the 6-pin for the PCIe slots should be optional. Could just do what I did for the SX600-G and use adapters to split the PEG connectors off the PSU though.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
In addition to higher capacity, Silverstone has implemented a new type of fan control. Instead of being adjusted by temperature follows the fan load rating, something that to do that it remains switched off even at low loads.

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/20641-silverstone-tar-formfaktorn-sfx-l-till-700-w Google Translated

I've emailed with Tony a bit about the SX700-LPT but was waiting for public confirmation before saying anything.

The new fan controller is load-based, meaning it'll start, stop, and adjust the speed based on the power load. However, it has a backup over-temp sensor that will kick the fan on regardless of load if the temperature gets too high.

It's the same fan as the SX500-LG so I don't think we'll get away from the "galloping" noise entirely but this new unit should resolve everyone's complaints about the semi-fanless functionality. :)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The Sharkoon SilentStorm one I have is also based on that same OEM and I believe it has the same fan as the SilverStone's but I have yet to hear the sound you mention. I have heard a cricket-like sound, but it's very faint and I need to almost squish my face to the case to hear it. The slightest white noise and I can't hear it.

Maybe it's caused by the fanless feature somehow ?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The galloping/clacking noise I hear is present through most of the RPM range. It's just drowned out for the most part by the whoosh of air at the higher RPMs. So that's why I think it's a bearing issue rather than anything to do with the semi-fanless functionality.

Last edited:

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
If it is a bearing issue, and Sharkoon uses the same OEM fan, why doesn't Phuncz's unit have the same issue? I'd imagine Sharkoon didn't ask the OEM to use better quality bearings for their shipments. The only other explanation is there was something wrong with the semi-fanless feature in the SX500-LG and after that thermal threshold was reached, it was consistently trying to turn itself on/off and causing that noise.

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/20641-silverstone-tar-formfaktorn-sfx-l-till-700-w Google Translated
The new fan controller is load-based, meaning it'll start, stop, and adjust the speed based on the power load. However, it has a backup over-temp sensor that will kick the fan on regardless of load if the temperature gets too high.

Hmm, so if this is true, over-provisioning the PSU will not matter. I was hoping that the extra 200W + Platinum efficiency would keep that fan off with a single gpu rig. Prior to FrozenCPU's fall, I was contemplating the purchase of a fan duct they had for use in the NCASE M1 from one of the side intakes straight to the SX600-G PSU. It's actually even easier to do this with the SX700-LPT (no modding required on PSU side), so it may still have to be done.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The only other explanation is there was something wrong with the semi-fanless feature in the SX500-LG and after that thermal threshold was reached, it was consistently trying to turn itself on/off and causing that noise.
Like I said though, the clacking is present even at higher RPMs, well above the threshold point. Phuncz may just have gotten lucky and his particular fan doesn't make the noise.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
True enough, I suppose we'd need more user accounts of those with Sharkoons to get a better idea.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Not really any new info but I like how at 3:30 Luke says it's not worth spending too much time covering the new RV01 because the XForma and SX700-LPT are the highlights of the video :p

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
True enough, I suppose we'd need more user accounts of those with Sharkoons to get a better idea.
Or Antec, Scythe or any of the other brands using the OEM design. I can only hear some whirring with my ears about 10-15cm from the fan when idle. But add the slightest white noise and it's inaudible. It might be some people having units with not so decent fan bearings.