Power Supply 500W FlexATX PSU

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
1. -12v. Not a problem we have a solution if needed.
2. Adapters, stock just awaiting customs clearance. Hopefully in next week.
3. We do have more 500W units available.

Is this FSP500 able to properly feed this rig please?:

- i9 7920X
- Asrock X299 ITX
- 64 GB RAM
- GTX 1080 TI ITX
- AIO 90mm
- 1 x 90mm Fan
- 3 x M2 Nvme
- 1 x SSD

I'm building inside a very tiny case,
so switching from SF600 to this FSP500-50FSPT will save a lot of space!

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
In case you didn't already know, Geeek makes custom modular Flex ATX PSUs in 400W and 600W variants.

http://www.geeekstore.com/shop/custom-flex-atx-modular-psu/

Hi. Im not sure if Geeek is really the one customizing these psus, to be honest. They seem like just rebranded and overpriced Custom FlexATX from TaoBao (I MIGHT BE WRONG, but they look the same to me). Here is an example: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...XriCc&id=550586245256&ns=1&abbucket=18#detail
Anyway, they look interesting, I might test them in my recent project, just to be sure.
Cheers

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
For sure @BernardoZ , Geeek doesn't produce this PSU, the 600W should be an Enhance PSU (goggled thanks to
@Jello ), probably direct modded from Enhance for them...
Fantastic this TaoBao, it's time to find a beautifull "China Girl" that could read and buy from this place! XD
Menawhile, Geeek is the way to go! (for me, of course!) (...and for @warfreak131 ;))

Last edited:

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 30, 2017
For sure @BernardoZ ,
Fantastic this TaoBao, it's time to find a beautifull "China Girl" that could read and buy from this place! XD

I managed to buy the ASL single slot / low profile GTX 1050 Ti from Taobao. Took a lot of time and patience using Google chrome since you can translate the entire page, as well as the google translate app which can translate in real time from your phones camera.

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
I managed to buy the ASL single slot / low profile GTX 1050 Ti from Taobao. Took a lot of time and patience using Google chrome since you can translate the entire page, as well as the google translate app which can translate in real time from your phones camera.
Will try for shure!
For next purchase, this should take time, and have no time now...
"My China Google Girl" !

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 26, 2018
Not sure if you guys are still looking at this PSU but I bought one to see if it'll work with the gtx 1080 ti mini. And it works! Just use One of the 8-pin eps and concert it to 2x pcie 6+2.

Been running stress test for hours without issue .The only thing I don't like is the startup test for power on & wake from sleep. The firmware testing seayense makes it really loud!

I've tried to hook up other fans by reusing the fan header on the PSU but without luck. Looks like the stock fan had a very low stayings voltage and all the noctua fans won't start at all.

I can't go past boot with a different fan that won't start. Seem like if the PSU detect that the fan is not spinispi then it would just shut down right away

I'm guessing nobody has figured out how to disable the initial start up sequence by the firmware?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Not sure if you guys are still looking at this PSU but I bought one to see if it'll work with the gtx 1080 ti mini. And it works! Just use One of the 8-pin eps and concert it to 2x pcie 6+2.

Been running stress test for hours without issue .The only thing I don't like is the startup test for power on & wake from sleep. The firmware testing seayense makes it really loud!

I've tried to hook up other fans by reusing the fan header on the PSU but without luck. Looks like the stock fan had a very low stayings voltage and all the noctua fans won't start at all.

I can't go past boot with a different fan that won't start. Seem like if the PSU detect that the fan is not spinispi then it would just shut down right away

I'm guessing nobody has figured out how to disable the initial start up sequence by the firmware?
So when you start the system or wake from sleep the fan is initially very loud? Does it then get quieter?

Too bad about replacement fans not working off the PSU fan header. I'm experiencing something similar trying to use 80mm fans to cool my 1050ti low profile card, but at least I can use motherboard headers.

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 26, 2018
So when you start the system or wake from sleep the fan is initially very loud? Does it then get quieter?

Too bad about replacement fans not working off the PSU fan header. I'm experiencing something similar trying to use 80mm fans to cool my 1050ti low profile card, but at least I can use motherboard headers.

Yep, very loud when boot and wake from sleep. Runs about 5 then tapper off and becomes quiet around 10 secs. It's usually decently quiet during gaming (I was only pulling ~250W total) from my system though. During gaming, the constant coil whine is louder and more audible than the psu fan.

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 26, 2018
I've got some good news!

After further testing, I've realized that the original 4-pin fan connector from the PSU does NOT map 1:1 with a regular 4-pin and I actually ended up killing one of my fan because I initially connected thinking it would map 1:1 (the usual black, yellow, green, blue).

The actual mapping is :
black - gnd
yellow - ctrl
brown - pwm
red - power (12v)

After looking through the spec from digi key for a similar fan I came to found out the actual mapping.

https://photos.app.******/S4TMs2GtoNHz9bHu9

I connected a noctua A9-14mm fan to it (with low noise adapter) and it's running super quiet now in IDLE. Even for boot/wake from sleep it's not super loud like before since the max RPM this fan can do is 1700 RPM with the LNA (13.5db vs 41 db from stock fan). The fan 92mm fan fits perfectly atop the PSU, I plan to make a mesh-like aluminum shroud to replace the original vent-less cover.

The fan is only 14mm so it only add a bit of height (14mm), making it a total 52mm or 2inch!

Super stoke that is mod is working.

Last edited:

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
I did a fan mod a few years ago replacing a 1u psu's 40mm jet engine of a fan with a 40mm noctua. Still works and I use it as a 12v brick for my s4m build. It also had the altered 4 pin layout, took me way too long to figure it out...

Reactions: NinoPecorino

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 26, 2018
I did a fan mod a few years ago replacing a 1u psu's 40mm jet engine of a fan with a 40mm noctua. Still works and I use it as a 12v brick for my s4m build. It also had the altered 4 pin layout, took me way too long to figure it out...

Yeah, killed one of my fans trying to figure it out lol. Good thing I just didn't keep plugging random fans into it. My initial thought was, maybe it just needs a fan that activate at very low voltage, but that clearly wasn't the case.

And yeah, I think just a noctua 40mm fan might be enough. The PSU runs decently cool at ~300w, and that's with a gtx, 1080 to and i7-2600k .I don't think I'll be to use an external 92mm fan like I did.

There best thing about the mod so far is not having the crazy jet-like sound during boot/wake.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Yeah, killed one of my fans trying to figure it out lol. Good thing I just didn't keep plugging random fans into it. My initial thought was, maybe it just needs a fan that activate at very low voltage, but that clearly wasn't the case.

And yeah, I think just a noctua 40mm fan might be enough. The PSU runs decently cool at ~300w, and that's with a gtx, 1080 to and i7-2600k .I don't think I'll be to use an external 92mm fan like I did.

There best thing about the mod so far is not having the crazy jet-like sound during boot/wake.
One thing to note about the noctua 40mm is that it isn't pwm. For a while I just let it run at 100% all the time and it still wasn't bad, but eventually I used a mosfet and a capacitor to make a pwm to voltage adapter for it. (The mosfet was pulled from a broken rc car ;) )