Power Supply 500W FlexATX PSU

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Modular cables on a modular PSU, now that would be interesting for SFF. Only need one SATA ? Use the standard cable. Need more ? Plug them in the in-line connector ! Need a short one ? It's included in the box man !
What do you mean by modular cables? Cables that have the same connector on their end as the PSU does?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yeah something like that but more elegant and compact. So you can branch of the main cable. I can't think of a suitable connector for this though.

So for instance:

A rough sketch but it might work better if the same connectors exist on the PSU's modular plugs as do on the in-line connectors, so you get to use the short cables too if needed for even more flexibility. But the Mini-Fit Jr plugs most modular PSUs use are very bulky for in-line. Maybe something less bulky for SATA at both ends, but use more robust and higher rated connectors for PCIe for instance.

Just a random brain fart, I haven't really thought this through much.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yeah something like that but more elegant and compact. So you can branch of the main cable. I can't think of a suitable connector for this though.

So for instance:

A rough sketch but it might work better if the same connectors exist on the PSU's modular plugs as do on the in-line connectors, so you get to use the short cables too if needed for even more flexibility. But the Mini-Fit Jr plugs most modular PSUs use are very bulky for in-line. Maybe something less bulky for SATA at both ends, but use more robust and higher rated connectors for PCIe for instance.

Just a random brain fart, I haven't really thought this through much.

I mean it's a very interesting concept, certainly, but it will take up space which quite a few won't have. The best solution to implement this would actually be to use regular SATA connectors inline, because those are compact and up to the task.
Maybe the best way to make this modular SATA business happen would actually be a SATA power socket on the PSU itself so stock expansion cables work with it.
I think for GPU or CPU power it wouldn't really give any benefits whatsoever because the connectors that are rated for the power required are quite bulky, so you might just make the PSU modular itself or include all needed connectors on the PSU cabling.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
As there are conflicting opinions on whether the wires for non-modular connectors should be black or colour-coded, I've made a strawpoll.

Current Poll: Black or colour-coded wires for non-modular connectors?

The advantage of all black wires are of course the looks, and there isn't really a disadvantage in having them on the modular cables, because they are easy to shorten, but the ATX 24pin connector is complicated and its cable will come out of the PSU directly, there's no chance it will be modular. So if it was colour coded, that would make it a lot easier to shorten the cable. And if someone really wanted all cables to have the same colour, they could still dye, paint or replace them all.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Nope, and there probably won't be. There's about 30 people that would buy one of these, we need at least 300, even without any modifications to the design.
TBH, there's little motivation for me to spend more time on this. The FSP400-60FGGBA is available from amazon right now and has enough power for most builds. Sure, the 500W would be even better, but there isn't a reasonable expectation anyone of us could handle the beurocratics and logistics of distributing this PSU.
Your best bet is to write to distributors and ask them whether they've got a unit left over from a client order or ask for an evaluation unit.

Hydak

What's an ITX?
Apr 24, 2016
I don't think it is the same power supply, but I saw a 500w flex atx on Amazon with platinum efficiency (70UDPB)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That is a 1U unit, which is a fair bit larger. Short FlexATX PSUs are 150mm*81.5mm*40.5mm. This 1U unit is 220mm*100mm*40.5mm, so wider and much longer.
It is even available as a 700W unit (FSP700-80UEPB), which is nice, but the power density is just 785.6 Watts per Liter, instead of the 1000 Watts per Liter the FSP500-50FSPT can offer.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
UPDATE!

Let's try this again! I've grown tired of looking on amazon every week to see whether this get's stocked.

We have to do this ourselves or it will never happen! So, I redid the first post and took a good amount of time to compile a form that gives me an idea of the interest in the PSU itself and its potential features:

FSP500-50FSPT Wishlist TEST FORM

This is a test-form to gather feedback on the way the questions are asked and whether their descriptions are understandable! The results from this form will be wiped when the final version of it goes live!

Please tell me if you find anything unclear or missing from this form!

I know that some of this was already discussed, but starting from a blank slate will be very helpful here.

If there are other forums where this could be of interest, please PM me and tell me about them! I'd like to get a good amount of exposure on this thing!

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'd skip the "Are you interested?" question. If they're filling out the form they almost certainly are. The better question would be "How interested are you?" to gauge if they're just idly curious or desperately wanting this PSU.

Most everything else looks good but then again I'm not the target market for this.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yeah that's a good point. Would you make that question a "On a scale from 1-10, how interested are you?", or a short text field?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I don't find 1-10 scales good for this because most all the responses will be lumped at one end of the scale or the other with little in-between. Maybe just a 1-3 scale from "extremely interested" to "somewhat interested" or something like that.

Edit: The link says "Whishlist"

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Thanks, changed all of that. 1-3 actually seems like a good option, everything above that is prone to generate noise over the data.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'd change the order from 1-Extremely interested to 3-somewhat interested since that's the typical order and that's how it is on the question asking about the modular connectors.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Oh damn that's confusing. 4 is left on the modular connector question but the highest value. I think it makes sense that the lowest value equates to the lowest interest, but I'll reverse the order of columns on the modular connector question. Good spot!

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
For me, I'd prefer a question of how important modularity would be.
I'll take what I can get, so if it's all that's available, I'd get a non modular power supply, but modularity is still a high priority for me when it comes to power supplies.

Similarly, color I'd rate as unimportant, which is not an option either.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Personally I'd like to get 1/2 just to have something that compact available, then figure out exactly what to do with it afterwards.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
For me, I'd prefer a question of how important modularity would be.
I'll take what I can get, so if it's all that's available, I'd get a non modular power supply, but modularity is still a high priority for me when it comes to power supplies.

Similarly, color I'd rate as unimportant, which is not an option either.

So again, a 1-3 scale from "not important at all" to "very important"?

If you don't care about colour, the question "Would you still get the unit even if it's not the colour you want?" covers that nicely, don't you think? You don't have to pick a preferred colour either. Maybe I should add an "I don't care." option there.

Personally I'd like to get 1/2 just to have something that compact available, then figure out exactly what to do with it afterwards.

Ideally this will go into retail at some point, but you're right, it might never get there so getting it while you can is a safe option in that regard.
Maybe it will convince other manufacturers that FlexATX is a viable form factor (just like they do now with SFX), in which case I don't really care about making a second run. Unless all those units are garbage, of course.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I just answered the poll.

When it comes to corporate communication, I feel that it's best to keep answers the most simple possible.
I would only keep the top 3 items, and gather the secondary questions in an annex, for marketing purposes.

You could try to persue a PSU maker, that could persue FSP to sell this PSU rebagded to their brand name ?
I guess an enthusiast-DIY oriented company, sensible to internet communities opinions. Lian-Li ?

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I just answered the poll.

Thanks, but it's not the final version, so you'll have to answer it again at some point. Did you find anything that could/should be changed to get more/better information?
The only thing that seems to be missing is a question about whether an SFX or ATX adapter bracket is desired.

When it comes to corporate communication, I feel that it's best to keep answers the most simple possible.
I would only keep the top 3 items, and gather the secondary questions in an annex, for marketing purposes.

What is this related to? The first post?

You could try to persue a PSU maker, that could persue FSP to sell this PSU rebagded to their brand name ?
I guess an enthusiast-DIY oriented company, sensible to internet communities opinions. Lian-Li ?

That's an interesting option that wasn't brought up yet. I'll explore that once the final poll has brought relevant results.