Concept 5.37L Aluminum extrusion Frame

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
I think I'm going to make acrylic panels for this using 3D printed ... Umm shroud I guess you can call it to mount the acrylic

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
well damn... didnt realise chartup.com and also makerbeams shipping to be so expensive about 30 EUR

Last edited:
Reactions: el01

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Aw that's disappointing, I wanted to try out an idea inspired from yours but with using the threaded ends of the beams to attach the acrylic panels. I'll probably send an e-mail to ChartUp later to see if they might ship outside the EU.

We will find out soon before the weekend hopefully. I should receive a reply soon enough

ckaym

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2018
Btw, I ordered two types of construction kits (parts picked by me - not out-of-the-box kits) Makerbeam-1010 (they also have larger profiles 1515, but I need the smallest available), and the MakeBlock.
They're both good, and if you know exactly which and how many parts you'll need won't be too expensive.
So far I think I prefer the MakeBlock mostly because they have lower profile beams (come in 0412, 0808 & 0824, and have linkage, plates & brackets with various forms and 2-3mm thickness).
MakeBlock also seem to have decent US site:
https://store.makeblock.com/mechanical-robot-kit-series-STEM
I've set upon a design similar to Dan's A4 (C4 to be more precise) or Louqe Ghost S1.
Will have a 240mm rad (+fans) on top, and while I'm using my old air-cooled gtx1080 - only two 120mm fans on bottom to help cool the mobo, ssd etc... But ultimately when I find full-aluminium gpu waterblock (I've set upon EK's FluidGaming alu loop series - for light-weight build).
So in the complete build I'll have 53mm height (28mm rad + 25mm fans) on top and another on bottom (total of 106mm) and 180mm height in the middle for the m-ITX Mobo (I'm eyeing the new AsRock Phantom Z390 for it's Thunderbolt & dual m.2/nvme slots).
So total height of the final case would be about 290mm (with dual 240 liquid coolers).
This way I'll be able to keep it thin at 120mm width. Actually 126mm because of MakeBlock's brackets - that allows me to avoid increasing dimensions because of the frame. I'll have the thicker 0808 beam running on top/bottom & back/front (to keep the sides as thin as possible)
Actually the twin fans on top & bottom give very good rigidity of the frame.
Total length would be about 300-320mm (depending on if I decide to put SFX-L PSU instead of the smaller SFX).
So total volume would be around 10.5L and by rough estimates total weight should be under 7kg (because of the aluminium loop).
I'm waiting for few more brackets from MakeBlock and I'll post some pic (without the actual electronics. I'm waiting for the CPU/RAM fiasco to quiet off a little :), but you should be able to get visual idea and perhaps some recommendations.

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
I have ordered both the MakerBeam and the MicroRax extrusions. I'm hoping the MakerBeam ones will come in soon

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
I finally got my tracking number from Chartup.com just waiting for my tracking number from MicroRax.

I'm also waiting for the Zotac 1080ti mini and the VLP RAM.

I think I'm going to make it 2 different Cases once I'm done with fitting it. One with the flex PSU and one with the SFX PSU (around 7L) hopefully it can fit my EVGA 1070

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
I finally got my tracking number from Chartup.com just waiting for my tracking number from MicroRax.

I'm also waiting for the Zotac 1080ti mini and the VLP RAM.

I think I'm going to make it 2 different Cases once I'm done with fitting it. One with the flex PSU and one with the SFX PSU (around 7L) hopefully it can fit my EVGA 1070
Looking forward to it!

Please don't skimp on the photos! :)

ckaym

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2018
Please don't skimp on the photos! :)

Here's the main-frame (get it? ;)) of my MakeBlocks alu-case:

I'll have to add a middle "backbone" beams with few small plates to mount Mobo, GPU & water-pump to.
The beige 15mm (1.53 mm H2O) fans (NF-A12x15 PWM) are on bottom for general case coolness 8)
And right under the black 25mm (3.94 mm H2O) ones (NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM) I'll mount a 27mm thick 240mm Aluminium Radiator (from the EK's Fluid-Gaming series)

This is to be the 1st variant with 240mm rad for the CPU only (since there's no standard aluminium water-blocks for my Gigabyte Extreme gtx1080 :/ but it's doing fine on its OOtB air cooler, so I think I'll use it until I find a good rtx2080ti+alu-water-block on decent price in the future)
Current heigh is almost 26cm (12.4cm thick & 31cm long or ~10L)

Then I'll mod (to ver.2.0) the above frame/case to make it taller. Replace the beige 15mm fans with same high static pressure fans like the black ones on top and 2nd 27x240mm alu-radiator (so there'll be two same size radiators on top & bottom in single CPU+GPU loop ie with single D5 pump).
Height will become between 29~30cm (30 is my maximum so that I fit it inside a backpack like "Manfrotto Manhattan mover-50") while keeping the width & length, so volume will become 29.5x12.4x31 = 11.340L
Target max.weight for ver 2.0 is to get it under 7kg (incl. the dual 240mm rads liquid-loop)

Btw the pump I plan for both variants is EK's D5 (compatible with aluminium loops) with only plexi cover - no Reservoir.
There'll be longer tube before the inlet of the pump with QDC (Quick-Disconnect-Coupling) to which I'll have the reservoir (and drain-port) hooked when filling & maintaining the loop. This should allow me to minimize the needed space for the pump while still keep the convenience of big reservoir & drain-port.

Actually I should be able to shorten the case with 1~2cm if necessary, but currently above backpack can take up to 49cm long things so I can use the extra 1~2cm in the pc-case for easier cable & tubes management & perhaps extra couple of 2.5" drives.

Unfortunately with Intel's 9th gen price & availability fiasco I'm not yet 100% decided on CPU & Mobo (although the only m-ITX Mobo I've found with dual m.2 nvme bootable slots & Thunderbolt-3 is the new AssRock z390 Phantom Gaming, which doesn't leave too many options for CPUs :)
So probably the most important parts I'll have to pick the latest :/

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
Here's the main-frame (get it? ;)) of my MakeBlocks alu-case:
Thank you! haha

It's a really interesting build.

EDIT: How much do you think would cost to build something like an S4 Mini using the MakerBeam and MicroRax?

Unfortunately with Intel's 9th gen price & availability fiasco I'm not yet 100% decided on CPU & Mobo (although the only m-ITX Mobo I've found with dual m.2 nvme bootable slots & Thunderbolt-3 is the new AssRock z390 Phantom Gaming, which doesn't leave too many options for CPUs :)
So probably the most important parts I'll have to pick the latest :/
I'd opt to the i7-8700K if you are going with Intel.

Here is a link to the TechPowerUP analysis, the performance gain of the i9 9900K is minimal (especially in applications/games that seek to use more cores, not just one) if cost and performance are analyzed.

You can see in some screenshots below the comparisons and performance again against the i7 8700K, i7 8086K, i9 9980XE, i9 9900X, Ryzen 7 2700x, Threadripper 2990WX and Threadripper 2950X.

I hope It helps you.

If possible, please, keep updating us on your project.

Congratulations! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: AURMEND

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Holy shit... Can't wait to make mine. I'll be arriving back in the statStin about 36h.

Oh and MicroRax cost me about $100 w/ extra parts. I might have to cut it though because some pieces are too long

ckaym

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2018
How much do you think would cost to build something like an S4 Mini using the MakerBeam and MicroRax?
If possible, please, keep updating us on your project.

Btw I think these benchmarks are the ones (Un)Principled Technologies made, and probably even the 1st set (ie the worst - as in artificially slowing AMD's CPUs).
It's very true that 9900K is completely pointless for gaming (unless you really want some extra frames at 1080p for super high fps and have nothing better to do with your $$$).
But my main motivation for a SFF build is to make a single machine to handle both my work & gaming, which I'm sure the 2700X would handle just fine too :)
If Intel can't deliver the 9900K to under their own MSRP of $500 before the end of the year I'm not going to wait for them :) (and quite possibly will get some CPU+MoBo combo if I find good BlackFriday/CyberMonday deal)

Now about DIY S4Mini with MakerBeam/MicroRax:
I don't know about MicroRax, because I couldn't ever open their site ... hahaha :D
But MakerBeam are very decent. Good quality & little cheaper than MakeBlocks (well beam profiles are cheaper, but the rest is more expensive so it can balance out).
I made myself a test frame with size 32x30x12cm with 8x30cm & 4x10cm beams, and 8 corner plates.
The beams are 1010 profile (MakerBeam have also 1515 but I prefer the thinner profile and in my opinion it's plenty strong)

pack of 4 of the 30cm is €9,50, so 8 would be €19 (https://www.makerbeam.com/makerbeam-300mm-4p-black-makerbeam.html)
the 10cm beams are 16 in a pack for €12,25 (https://www.makerbeam.com/makerbeam-100mm-16p-black-makerbeam.html)
I used these brackets 12 for €6,95 (https://www.makerbeam.com/makerbeam-90-degree-brackets-12p.html)
Also have 4 of these nuts-stands €4,95 (https://www.makerbeam.com/makerbeam-knurled-nuts-4p.html)
The T-slot nuts are the secret sauce for these beams :) but they're rather expensive for nuts:
25 for €14,25 (https://www.makerbeam.com/makerbeam-t-slot-nuts-for-makerbeam-25p.html) if you can find them in a regular store I bet they'll be cheaper. Also I'm not sure if 25 would be enough for a build.
But you can also use these screws (https://www.makerbeam.com/makerbeam-square-headed-bolts-6mm-250p-for-makerbe.html) as their heads can slide in the T-Slot but square head makes it easy to tighten/loosen.
Another cool mounting option for the outer corners is with these corner cubes (https://www.makerbeam.com/makerbeam-corner-cubes-12p-clear-for-makerbeam.html). Just have to account for the extra 1cm they add, and I don't think you can use them for mounting anything else but corners.

So the minimum for a frame like the above I guess would be about €45~50, but can grow a lot if you get lots of beams, plates & nuts just for the fun of it :)
And don't forget the €17 shipping inside EU :/
For outside EU you have to check, but I guess at least you might save some VAT perhaps?

For something with exact size as the S4Mini you'll have to get longer than 30cm beams and cut them to S4Mini-ish size.
Cutting aluminium seems to be easy. Just keep in mind that the threaded hollow core (ie the threaded hole in each beam) is only threaded for few cm on each end, so when you cut it you'll probably need to make new threading yourself. Shouldn't be too difficult with proper tools.
They also have some Plexi sheets (https://www.makerbeam.com/polycarbonate-sheet-transparent-1p.html), but I think only in mid sizes (300mmx200mmx3mm) so they might come a little short for S4Mini sizes, or you'll have to stack them. But for the walls there probably many other options at your local hardware store.

I think both MakerBeam 1010 profiles & the MakeBlocks are very good options (but MakeBlocks might require less cutting), though to keep the price low you'll need to know exactly which and how many parts to get ... which I didn't so I'm playing around with both :)

That's why I'll post more detailed guide for my build (when I get it to more complete stage) so that anyone that likes it can order only the necessary parts for it and save themselves €100~150 :)

Reactions: AURMEND and BaK

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Btw I think these benchmarks are the ones (Un)Principled Technologies made, and probably even the 1st set (ie the worst - as in artificially slowing AMD's CPUs).
It's very true that 9900K is completely pointless for gaming (unless you really want some extra frames at 1080p for super high fps and have nothing better to do with your $$$).
But my main motivation for a SFF build is to make a single machine to handle both my work & gaming, which I'm sure the 2700X would handle just fine too :)
If Intel can't deliver the 9900K to under their own MSRP of $500 before the end of the year I'm not going to wait for them :) (and quite possibly will get some CPU+MoBo combo if I find good BlackFriday/CyberMonday deal)

Now about DIY S4Mini with MakerBeam/MicroRax:
I don't know about MicroRax, because I couldn't ever open their site ... hahaha :D
But MakerBeam are very decent. Good quality & little cheaper than MakeBlocks (well beam profiles are cheaper, but the rest is more expensive so it can balance out).
I made myself a test frame with size 32x30x12cm with 8x30cm & 4x10cm beams, and 8 corner plates.
The beams are 1010 profile (MakerBeam have also 1515 but I prefer the thinner profile and in my opinion it's plenty strong)

pack of 4 of the 30cm is €9,50, so 8 would be €19 (https://www.makerbeam.com/makerbeam-300mm-4p-black-makerbeam.html)
the 10cm beams are 16 in a pack for €12,25 (https://www.makerbeam.com/makerbeam-100mm-16p-black-makerbeam.html)
I used these brackets 12 for €6,95 (https://www.makerbeam.com/makerbeam-90-degree-brackets-12p.html)
Also have 4 of these nuts-stands €4,95 (https://www.makerbeam.com/makerbeam-knurled-nuts-4p.html)
The T-slot nuts are the secret sauce for these beams :) but they're rather expensive for nuts:
25 for €14,25 (https://www.makerbeam.com/makerbeam-t-slot-nuts-for-makerbeam-25p.html) if you can find them in a regular store I bet they'll be cheaper. Also I'm not sure if 25 would be enough for a build.
But you can also use these screws (https://www.makerbeam.com/makerbeam-square-headed-bolts-6mm-250p-for-makerbe.html) as their heads can slide in the T-Slot but square head makes it easy to tighten/loosen.
Another cool mounting option for the outer corners is with these corner cubes (https://www.makerbeam.com/makerbeam-corner-cubes-12p-clear-for-makerbeam.html). Just have to account for the extra 1cm they add, and I don't think you can use them for mounting anything else but corners.

So the minimum for a frame like the above I guess would be about €45~50, but can grow a lot if you get lots of beams, plates & nuts just for the fun of it :)
And don't forget the €17 shipping inside EU :/
For outside EU you have to check, but I guess at least you might save some VAT perhaps?

For something with exact size as the S4Mini you'll have to get longer than 30cm beams and cut them to S4Mini-ish size.
Cutting aluminium seems to be easy. Just keep in mind that the threaded hollow core (ie the threaded hole in each beam) is only threaded for few cm on each end, so when you cut it you'll probably need to make new threading yourself. Shouldn't be too difficult with proper tools.
They also have some Plexi sheets (https://www.makerbeam.com/polycarbonate-sheet-transparent-1p.html), but I think only in mid sizes (300mmx200mmx3mm) so they might come a little short for S4Mini sizes, or you'll have to stack them. But for the walls there probably many other options at your local hardware store.

I think both MakerBeam 1010 profiles & the MakeBlocks are very good options (but MakeBlocks might require less cutting), though to keep the price low you'll need to know exactly which and how many parts to get ... which I didn't so I'm playing around with both :)

That's why I'll post more detailed guide for my build (when I get it to more complete stage) so that anyone that likes it can order only the necessary parts for it and save themselves €100~150 :)

Nice work!
Btw my 600W Flex PSU got delivered.
I ordered the Enhance ENP-7660B

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Well I ordered the ENHANCE ENP-7660...B and if it has the "B" at the end you will be missing connectors for the graphics card.

Well I guess it time to mod this PSU and use 17gauge extremely thin Teflon wires. Hopefully I can...

Black GND
Yellow 12v
Red is 5V
Orange 3.3V
Blue -12V
Green PS-ON
White NC

I wonder if I can make something like GEEEK but more uglier

Last edited:

ckaym

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2018
... will be missing connectors for the graphics card.
Well I guess it time to mod this PSU and use 17gauge extremely thin Teflon wires. Hopefully I can...
I wouldn't mess around the PSU, because I don't know the 1st thing about it (except which cable goes where)
That's why I got the Corsair SF600 Platinum (should arrive any day now)
I hope you know what you're doing there!
Good Luck with the mod!

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
It's only replacing wires and what not. Should be easy, not if I was doing something more than that I wouldn't even attempt it. Also it has to be a flex at psu

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
I am knowladknowle enough to work on the DC side of the PSU, and since I haven't plugged it in yet there should be no risk to me. The only risk is my components but illIbe tearite each and every pin as well as the resistance of each solder to make sure I didn't ruin anything.

The only experience I have is rewiring a whole heating and AC system as well as extensive Electrical troubleshooting on cars and Satellite dish systems. And wiring several 3D printers from scratch. B

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Well upon further inspection it's actually extremely easy to solder on the 6+2 connection. The places where the wires are supposed to be are empty.

Any idea of what I should do with the rest of the wires? Should I just shorten them as needed or create something like this.

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
I'm going to have to modify the wires on the Enhance 600w Platinum. It's going to be a tight fit with all these wires. Going to use a thicker gauge wire straight out of the PSU then split it off.