iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Holy shit. That printer is nuts. Any idea how print quality and strength compares to the SLS units Shapeways uses and/or alternatively to the Markforged line of Onyx printers?

Reactions: Biowarejak

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
They need to add a heater core to the chamber in the Fuse 1 to elevate the operating environment temperature and adapt it to be able to sinter metal powders.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
According to that tested video they are heating the chamber, part of why it doesn't have a window is apparently to aid in temperature control but i'm guessing its not getting hot enough to do sintered metals, also maybe the laser their using isn't powerful enough, over my head tbh. NFI how they compare strength wise to Shapeways, depends alot on what powder you load in there I guess. In that video they do mention one of their engineers printed out pushbike pedals and uses them on his bike so i guess fairly robust. There is a brief comparison near the end w/ a print that came off a shapeways printer iirc

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Holy shit. That printer is nuts. Any idea how print quality and strength compares to the SLS units Shapeways uses and/or alternatively to the Markforged line of Onyx printers?

I think strength would highly depend on the powder you're using, not so much the printer.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah probably, but they did mention that it a lower power laser that is just out of visible range which is part of why they managed to get the price down. Perhaps this doesn't matter, but again I'm not the most savvy about 3D printers, hence the question.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Let's show what you are printing guys!

Last edited:

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
What is the contraption??
Looks like his case design.

Yep it's the case I'm working on. Well... actually half of the case. You can see 3 out of 4 holes used to mount a motherboard.

Does that build plate actually have holes in it? Or is there glass over it
what printer is that?

Zortrax M200, it uses a perforated plate instead of glass. There are pros and cons of both solutions though.

Currently printing a modular case system
Wow that looks awesome! Is that PLA?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Intriguing!

-EDIT-

Actually I have a question, which brands of filament do you tend to use? Personally I use Hatchbox :)

Reactions: AleksandarK

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017

entropy

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2017
What materials are suitable for printing an entire case? Would PLA really last? My new 3D printer is arriving this week and I am looking for bigger projects. I picked up a cheap CR-10 that I am planning to upgrade with a better hotend and enclosure so I can print more materials. Its 300x300x400mm, so in theory it could print any SFF layout.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
PLA get's soft around 50 degrees C, I wouldn't risk printing an entire case out of it. Any other material will do the job. ABS, HIPS and PET perform well untill approx. 80 degrees. Compounds with PC withstand up to 110 degrees but they are pain to work with.

Reactions: Phuncz

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 29, 2017
PLA is great for prototyping. Fast to print and little to none shrinkage. I find it perfect for miniatures and figures too, where there's no stress nor heat involved.

That being said, I often use PLA even for structural parts (or a case frame in this instance); after a good epoxy bath it survives a nuclear winter. PET is the a great alternative and for me it replaced ABS altogether.