Rumor 28 core ITX from ASRock Rack EPC621D4I-2M

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
I tried an es but wouldn't post. Needed at least a qs to boot. updated pic of a 28c in a mini-itx seen below:
all credit for case design goes to Josh!
what is the fw version you have in the epc621d4i? in worst case I have a production cpu also but that is 150W, that is running in my desktop config and I will not try to cool it in an s4m :) but the desktop mobo runs with the ES's, already tried it.

jpmomo

Trash Compacter
Feb 23, 2018
what is the fw version you have in the epc621d4i? in worst case I have a production cpu also but that is 150W, that is running in my desktop config and I will not try to cool it in an s4m :) but the desktop mobo runs with the ES's, already tried it.
The cpu that I am currently using is a 165W TDP 8176. That is definitely pushing it in this modified s4m case. This device has a very specific use case and doesn't require any discreet gpu. I have tried several different versions of the fw including custom versions from the asrockrack folks. I couldn't get the es versions of the cpu to work.

rokabeka

Jul 9, 2016
same here, no gpu just nic(s). and the fun of cramming lots of horsepower into a 4L box :)

rokabeka

Jul 9, 2016
fyi skylake qm8x (Gold 6130 - 16cores, 120W) seem to work :)
fw version P2.20, bmc 01.30.00

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
EDIT: okay I shouldn't be tooting my own horn, but are those... horizontal RAM socket placements on the underside? o_o
EDIT: okay I shouldn't be tooting my own horn, but are those... horizontal RAM socket placements on the underside? o_o

Yes, they are?

Your post is sort of confusing, would you mind clarifying? Thanks! :)

rokabeka

Jul 9, 2016
'...are those... horizontal RAM socket placements on the underside? o_o'
on the epc621d6i, yes. on the epc621d4i-2m, no.
the good news is that it looks like you can have memory modules in almost any slots and keep the CPU happy, but then you ignore the memory populating guide of the manual (unsupported configuration?)
in worst case you lose some memory performance but unless you are memory bandwidth bound you do not care.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
. Adding a GPU means one is left with 1GbE networking.

eh, no, the virtuallink on the 20x0 nvidia cards are full blown USB C so it's really 5gbe networking.(and was already so when this was written)

Oh and there are USB A 5gbit adapters too, the QNAP UC5G1T doesn't have a captive cable and works with A-C. Club 3D has a USB A 5gbit variant AFAIK.

rokabeka

Jul 9, 2016
. Adding a GPU means one is left with 1GbE networking.

eh, no, the virtuallink on the 20x0 nvidia cards are full blown USB C so it's really 5gbe networking.(and was already so when this was written)

Oh and there are USB A 5gbit adapters too, the QNAP UC5G1T doesn't have a captive cable and works with A-C. Club 3D has a USB A 5gbit variant AFAIK.
plus this board also supports pcie bifurcation (a great tradition at asrock). I have two pcie x8 network cards installed right now.

Reactions: Damascus

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
plus this board also supports pcie bifurcation (a great tradition at asrock). I have two pcie x8 network cards installed right now.

Wait, so you have bifurcation on the EPC621D4I-2M? So the EPC621D6I probably supports it too? Because it's not listed in the manual of this two boards (they share the same pamphlet).

rokabeka

Jul 9, 2016
"PCIE7 Link WidthThis allows you to select PCIE7 Link Width. The default value is [x16]." from the manual. they do not mention other options e.g. [x8x8] but for epc621d4i they are there :)
BIOS versioning and release dates however differ from epc621d6i, so I can not confirm it works. I would say the chances are high tho.

Reactions: Windfall and morj