Rumor 28 core ITX from ASRock Rack EPC621D4I-2M

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Eh, I would say if you really wanted to use this board, go big or go home. 10-18 cores would make more sense on the X299 platform unless you really want ECC as there are more features and better cooled components on the X299 itx board. 20 cores and beyond is where this board starts to really shine.

I would of assumed that the silver part being 85W would of meant cooler temps?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
It's almost a shame to put a VGA port on that but these mad lads did it again.

Now let's get Threadripper on ITX...

Reactions: NinoPecorino

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Playing devils advocate, I wonder if the lack of 10GB ethernet is down to keeping the costs low?
Unfortunately that is probably the case, although it's a pretty stupid one considering this is an ASRock Rack part.
It's designed for enterprise and ProSumer audiences. It's obviously going to be a super niche product that they probably won't even break even on the R&D all said and done, but it's a statement piece. So finish the statement and slap an Aquantia 10Gbit NIC on that sucker!
Aquantia NICs are low priced enough that it would barely be more than the cost of the chipset itself, (Chipset= $57per 1k, Aquantia NIC around $70).
No word on actual price yet, but similar boards have gone for around $300-$400. I think they can find a way to squeeze a 10G NIC in under $450 and still sell to anyone that was already willing to pay $400.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
I don't quite get those M.2 sockets either, I would've installed them edge wise on top between the PCI slot and the SO DIMM slot even if it meant they need to run FFCs to the bottom.

As for the Aquantia chip, I wonder whether there are vaguely server-like Ethernet features which perhaps it doesn't support?

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Crazy question: Who is going to be the first to put this in a sub 5L case?

In the real world, I think what I would like to see is a consumer Itx board with 4 sodimms, 2/3 NVME's, PCIE x16, Wifi and Bluetooth with Ryzen/threadripper. I'm hoping this board might point towards this.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
no I mean these two markers

eh I think you @Supercluster might want to add to the thread title ._. maybe a few others missed this thread because the title doesn't describe it
Seems to be the backside of the top so-dimms. So while it's entirely possible that they might use that method eventually, they definitely aren't with this board. Traces need to go somewhere!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Seems to be the backside of the top so-dimms. So while it's entirely possible that they might use that method eventually, they definitely aren't with this board. Traces need to go somewhere!

Definitely are RAM traces. Maybe you could heatgun some mounts on!

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
it's not needed, they're making two variants of that. the other one will have 6 SODIMM sockets and no M.2 sockets below it o_o
(see comment above)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's almost a shame to put a VGA port on that but these mad lads did it again.

Now let's get Threadripper on ITX...
VGA is standard for server boards though, I'm not surprised as this is from the ASRock Rack series. The real surprise is the single PCIe combined with no 10GbE networking. I guess they didn't have the room for the controller but it does limit the usefulness of the board.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
May be a silly thought, but can't they angle the SODIMMs to go over the CPU socket backplate and keep the M.2s?

I think the smallest case you can use the board in is the Lone Industries L5 with the Dynatron cooler, but it would be loud AF for desktop use. Realistically, the smallest practical build would be in an LZ7 with an NH-D9 DX-3647. I wonder if you can get an adapter plate for an Asetek cooler from China, then you could potentially use it in the A4-SFX.

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
May be a silly thought, but can't they angle the SODIMMs to go over the CPU socket backplate and keep the M.2s?
might need to check. the taller ones (for double storey stacking) has structural solder points to retain their shape, which would mean some welding work to the backplate. unless there's one out there that doesn't has/need those...?

also not sure if those would clear when the RAM is in place o_o

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018

I think the smallest case you can use the board in is the Lone Industries L5 with the Dynatron cooler, but it would be loud AF for desktop use. Realistically, the smallest practical build would be in an LZ7 with an NH-D9 DX-3647. I wonder if you can get an adapter plate for an Asetek cooler from China, then you could potentially use it in the A4-SFX.

I think the problem with Lone L5 would be the pico PSU. I'm not sure I would power a server CPU with an external brick.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I think the problem with Lone L5 would be the pico PSU. I'm not sure I would power a server CPU with an external brick.

Yeah, for the 205W CPUs you'd need G-Unique, which is not ideal for a $7K CPU. You should be fine with the HDPlex 400 in the LZ7 though, assuming you don't need crazy graphics. But the smallest reasonable build would probably be NCase M1, the other stuff is just for breaking records.

And I mean let's be real, I'd be shocked if anyone actually got this for a desktop build. But if Intel intends to use this socket for future HEDT, it's a nice preview of what's to come.

Syr

Cable Smoosher
Feb 17, 2018
This is quite exciting! I'd like to see what they can do for TR4 and/or epyc however. Maybe something will show up at computex.. maybe.
Currently I've been running a P-8136 on an mATX supermicro board in a Ceberus case, which are the smallest boards you can get for this platform while still exposing 100% of the IO. This one is considerably lighter on IO but technically gives you the best core density on mITX. Unfortunately its too IO-light to replace my current mobile workstation or my 4110 based server (which uses only 2 dimms but all 48 pcie lanes), but maybe at some point i might pick up one of these or a TR4/Epyc version if they make those.

Serve the Home Review.

Up to 32gb per ecc dimm... That image with the Dynatron B13 is the money shot, just when I thought I'd settled on a build! The presense of the B13 also means this is using a LGA3647 square socket.

Turns out @VegetableStu your hunch was right. The EPC621D6I model has 6 Ram slots at the expense of the M.2's.
The pictured cooler is a Dynatron B5, and the top down picture of the board clearly shows its P1/LGA3647 narrow. (I have a B5 and 2 P1 narrow boards)

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
This is quite exciting! I'd like to see what they can do for TR4 and/or epyc however. Maybe something will show up at computex.. maybe.
Currently I've been running a P-8136 on an mATX supermicro board in a Ceberus case, which are the smallest boards you can get for this platform while still exposing 100% of the IO. This one is considerably lighter on IO but technically gives you the best core density on mITX. Unfortunately its too IO-light to replace my current mobile workstation or my 4110 based server (which uses only 2 dimms but all 48 pcie lanes), but maybe at some point i might pick up one of these or a TR4/Epyc version if they make those.

The pictured cooler is a Dynatron B5, and the top down picture of the board clearly shows its P1/LGA3647 narrow. (I have a B5 and 2 P1 narrow boards)

How is the dynatron for noise?