10L Acrylic PC case! (Previously 14L ATX PSU compatible case!)

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Good point, but I need some way to route PSU extension cable as well as mounting the PSU itself. It might mean taller cases, though. If you're game with it, it's a pretty quick revision.

Well it's up to you where you eventually want to put your case fans, we're here just to give suggestions based on what we know/experienced.

In my SG08, the PSU internal routing is something like this. The cable is placed on the corner sides of the frame. They use 90 degrees internal cable.

* Admin/mod, kindly let us know if image attachments like above is prohibited.

Last edited:

Sigmaeleven

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
Well it's up to you where you eventually want to put your case fans, we're here just to give suggestions based on what we know/experienced.

In my SG08, the PSU internal routing is something like this. The cable is placed on the corner sides of the frame. They use 90 degrees internal cable.

* Admin/mod, kindly let us know if image attachments like above is prohibited.

Neato. I'll take that into consideration.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Another that might cause the extra liter is the airflow chamber (as well as PSU mounting). Shaving off that chamber can really save some space but I want a properly ventilated and portable rig too! It can fit two slim 120mm fans up top (no support for radiator due to how the motherboard mounts, currently.

Also, I guess I will need vents on the side panels now. I really can see why the A4-SFX layout is really dominant around designing SFF cases.

I think that @dondan makes a good point that actually minimizing the air volume inside the case can obviate the need for extra fans.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I think that @dondan makes a good point that actually minimizing the air volume inside the case can obviate the need for extra fans.

This point is a very important one. As an example: many people have expressed concern with the thermal performance of Cerberus when seeing all the hardware we can stuff inside it, but our testing has indicated that the lack of abundant empty space means that it actually takes very few fans to cycle the hot air out quickly.

It's easy to posit that "smaller case -> less cooling -> hotter box", but one way to intuitively think about this is to look at something like the Mac Pro, which has only one fan, but has to cool an entire computer with a 6-core+ processor and dual workstation GPUs - and does that with very low noise. That works because the layout is smart, and the case is so small that it takes very little effort to replace the heated air with fresh (and cool) intake.

...Compare that to a 50L behemoth with fans all over the place, blowing every which way across the components, competing flows and vortexes of current, all being forced to work hard to recycle a substantially larger amount of air, and you can quickly see how inefficient that really is.

Obviously, layout matters a lot, but it's worth asking whether or not making the space for cooling will have a net improvement on cooling performance. Only testing can say for certain, but more fans does not mean better cooling in all circumstances. In many, it can actually make cooling worse.

Sigmaeleven

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
This point is a very important one. As an example: many people have expressed concern with the thermal performance of Cerberus when seeing all the hardware we can stuff inside it, but our testing has indicated that the lack of abundant empty space means that it actually takes very few fans to cycle the hot air out quickly.

It's easy to posit that "smaller case -> less cooling -> hotter box", but one way to intuitively think about this is to look at something like the Mac Pro, which has only one fan, but has to cool an entire computer with a 6-core+ processor and dual workstation GPUs - and does that with very low noise. That works because the layout is smart, and the case is so small that it takes very little effort to replace the heated air with fresh (and cool) intake.

...Compare that to a 50L behemoth with fans all over the place, blowing every which way across the components, competing flows and vortexes of current, all being forced to work hard to recycle a substantially larger amount of air, and you can quickly see how inefficient that really is.

Obviously, layout matters a lot, but it's worth asking whether or not making the space for cooling will have a net improvement on cooling performance. Only testing can say for certain, but more fans does not mean better cooling in all circumstances. In many, it can actually make cooling worse.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I knew it was the right choice to have my design reviewed in this forum. It is actually my first venture on scratchbuilding a case, so any opinion is very much appreciated!

I think in that case (pun definitely not intended.) I could get away with just one intake fan down there.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Btw i wonder why you ended up with different dimensions of GPU throughout the design iterations..

If you know you don't need full size GPU power and happy with ITX sized GPUs, then i guess the previous layout is just fine :)

Sigmaeleven

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
Btw i wonder why you ended up with different dimensions of GPU throughout the design iterations..

If you know you don't need full size GPU power and happy with ITX sized GPUs, then i guess the previous layout is just fine :)

I realized that I would rather use my existing long-ass GPU rather than spending another penny on ITX GPUs. Forking cash for the power supply is painful enough! :D

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Working with what you have forces you to get imaginative! I really like your design. Keep at it.

Sigmaeleven

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
Alright, I will update with a build log once my bolt fitting test (gotta know the tolerances in the kerf) arrives

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Major update! I've received my laser cut samples, it's not as precise as I'd hoped, but it's precise enough to fit snug and strong thanks to the screw bolt mechanism!

5mm acrylic definitely was the right choice as the material for this case.

What is the name/part number for that cable? Trying to find one on google is proving problematic.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
That was taken from my Node 304, but I believe this is what you're looking for: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/iec-c14

I have seen the IEC C14 mountable socket all over, but I was looking for a right angled NEMA plug to a panel mountable IEC C14 socket - the cable in the pic is perfect, but it doesn't look like they're available seperately.

A lot of the reviews for the IEC C14 sockets I have seen talk about poor quality. The fused ones with a rocker switch have really bad reviews, where it catches on fire sometimes. I'll probably have to splice one together myself. Thanks for the info!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I have seen the IEC C14 mountable socket all over, but I was looking for a right angled NEMA plug to a panel mountable IEC C14 socket - the cable in the pic is perfect, but it doesn't look like they're available seperately

It's a low-profile angled C13 to panel mount C14 that SilverStone, Lian Li, and a few other companies use for SFF cases. The easiest place to get one in the USA is NCASE: https://www.ncases.com/product/M1 Accessories