What did you do today?

jottwehh

Bonobo
Mar 19, 2016
Don't think I've got enough time to start a Build Log, but wanted to show my ideas for a ITX Case with less than 4l total anyway:

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
I did some QA on one of these today.

And well, I have never had a machine fail my tests so hard. Had to write up two pages of required improvements plus another six pages of recommendations. Nevermind SEMI, this thing doesn't even meet OSHA regs. Yes, this pokey little gas analysis machine has the ability to drop a 40 lb weight on you from a height of as much as 3 meters.

Also it came with a Cherry keyboard in a nice 75% layout...that was rubberdome because mechanical switches generate too many particles.
So really I should just burn the whole thing down.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Ended up wiping my most used and important external drive (this also contained my case designs among other things). To say that I'm demotivated right now is a grave understatement.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Like a full drive wipe or accidentally reformatted?
More like I overwrote part of it with dd and then picked the wrong superblock when trying to recover the filesystem. I have testdisk looking it over now. Checked the drive letters and still wrote to the wrong drive. Thankfully, this was not a client's system.

Update: Ran
Code:
e2fsck -b 20480000
on the filesystem with some success. The files and directories are there but cannot be read. Running
Code:
e2fsck -b 71663616
over it now. Going to make a copy of important data to my second external drive after this. Then I'm looking into NAS options (DIY or pre-built). #NeverAgain

Update 2: I "recovered" the data. Currently backing up some of it to my second extrenal drive.

Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Spent most of the day troubleshooting my DIY router. TLDR, my PCI ADSL2+ card has died. It was a sick little card, presented the ADSL side over a virtual NIC and bridged between them so the router software had full control of the PPPoE connection. I have a plan to build a new router w/ a more performant PCIe card that does essentially the same thing but also has VDSL2 capability on it as well. Unfortunately it wont be a cheap endeavour. I was hoping to get a few more months out of my current setup whilst I saved up some money for it but the current solution has been struggling a little w/ performance for a while now. One side benefit of all this messing about is that im now on PFsense and off the propriety Linux based solution (that used to be great until the developers got bought out by a larger firm and it all went downhill from there) so first step of the overhaul / upgrade is already in place.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If possible, try to get a VDSL2 card which support Vectoring and G.Fast, these will offer significant speed boosts when available, I recently had Vectoring enabled in my area.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
If anyone's going to catch Guardians Vol 2, could you confirm if that's Will Farrell on the very end of the end credits crawl? o_o

DntMesssWitRohan

Efficiency Noob
Apr 12, 2017
Brushing up my React JS skills with some more data testing. Thanks @DntMesssWitRohan for providing the case list.

I'd like to get this accessible online if possible, to have an archive of SFF cases somewhere, and easily be able to filter out cases with different rules.
That would be an awesome implementation to have. I would love to see what the end product is like if you wouldn't mind linking me to it when complete! :)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That would be an awesome implementation to have. I would love to see what the end product is like if you wouldn't mind linking me to it when complete! :)

I'm not sure how far it will take before I decide to move it online. I gotta pick a free host that would be good in running the backend code, and database. Heroku might be a good first choice. Right now I am just working with a JSON file that I created from your spreadsheet, but it doesn't give you the flexibility of updating and separating concerns of data like a database would.

For example, make the "volume" column that would be calculated automatically from L x W x H. Or the hard drive compatibility split up into different rules so to make it easier to filter more specifically. Like if you want cases that support at least 2 SSD's but don't need any larger HDD support.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I did some sketching, played a few games, and worked on a new case design that I had in mind. No, I won't be cancelling the RSC design (it's nearly complete). This design takes some cues from RSC another case design that I have yet to post.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Well done ! It's something I've contemplated on doing as a hobby, although it seems easier to do this with airsoft equipment than real firearms here in Europe.

Reactions: Ceros_X

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Take your time @VegetableStu . It's coming along very well.

Today, I head back to my primary residence (with one other person) after staying by my secondary residence (with seven other people) for two weeks. I have a technical interview coming this Wednesday so I must get ready. I have been told by my friends who currently work at the place that the technical interview is rather simple, to not over-complicate things, and merely "impress" the interviewer.

Last edited: