GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
Paul did a video!!
He was wrong about the clockspeeds though.
Edit: Lol look at the 1080 mini in that eGPU dock.

Last edited:
Reactions: iFreilicht

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Yeah Paul had a nice and closer look at the end of that card's heatsink/fan/shroud. It certainly looks like we can shave off 10mm off that card to make it fit inside an S4-mini chassis.

Now to wait for availability! Does anyone have any clue about when this car will hit retail? Dang, waiting for this and the ASUS Z270i will be the longest few weeks ever... :(

Last edited:

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Looks like ~5mm of shroud before the heatsink
If the place I found saying it's 210mm long, removing 5mm should get us short enough to not have to cut through the S4's bezel, might even be able to trim the heatsink to make it so you don't need to mod the S4, even.

Reactions: CubanLegend

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Looks like ~5mm of shroud before the heatsink
If the place I found saying it's 210mm long, removing 5mm should get us short enough to not have to cut through the S4's bezel, might even be able to trim the heatsink to make it so you don't need to mod the S4, even.
Yup it looks like that shroud could be shaved off a bit before even touching the aluminum fins. But if we have to shave 5mm off the side of the aluminum fins we might also have to shave a little off the edge of the 100mm fan on the right since that fans blades seem to go as far out as the edge of the heatsink.

Still doable though, seems like theres more than 10mm of space between the end of the card and the heatpipe. So we should be fine dremeling off the shroud/fins/and a bit of the fan without having to even touch the heatpipe. :D

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Yup it looks like that shroud could be shaved off a bit before even touching the aluminum fins. But if we have to shave 5mm off the side of the aluminum fins we might also have to shave a little off the edge of the 100mm fan on the right since that fans blades seem to go as far out as the edge of the heatsink.

Still doable though, seems like theres more than 10mm of space between the end of the card and the heatpipe. So we should be fine dremeling off the shroud/fins/and a bit of the fan without having to even touch the heatpipe. :D
The only issue I have with trying to shave the fan i- how do you keep it even and balanced?
If you mess up the balance of the fan you may as well remove it

Reactions: CubanLegend

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Well unfortunately, Zotac packed up early and has already left CES, so Drew won't be able to get measurements of that card.

We'll follow up with them and try to get a review sample.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
The only issue I have with trying to shave the fan i- how do you keep it even and balanced?
If you mess up the balance of the fan you may as well remove it
Well the left is a 90mm static pressure fan, the right is the 100mm airflow one. Why not try to remove the plastic/metal shroud and use the extra space to swap the fans around?

Reactions: iFreilicht

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Well the left is a 90mm static pressure fan, the right is the 100mm airflow one. Why not try to remove the plastic/metal shroud and use the extra space to swap the fans around?

That is a pretty cool idea, and it might just work. But I do wonder how much of an impact it will have on cooling performance. They've gone to the length of choosing two different fans in the first place, so they probably had very good reasons for that.

Reactions: K888D

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
From the looks of the rear-view of the card, we might be able to cut 9mm from the GPU's fan shroud and that block of aluminum at the end of the heatsink.

Thats easy, Just use a grinder or dremel to cut the aluminum fins where they attach to that aluminum block by 8mm and it'll fit in the S4 mini with the wrap-around bezel on. Shave an extra 1mm (9mm total) to ensure 1mm of air so the wrap-around bezel isn't scratched during transport. And if worse comes to worse, just take off the wrap-around bezel. If the shroud is too big then just remove the metal shroud.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I wonder if it would be viable to have someone design a swappable shroud that looks nice and just leave it up on the website for those that want to 3D print through Shapeways or something. Then you don't have to butcher the crap out of a 900 dollar card.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
HOLY CRAP! ITS OUT FAM! ZOTAC 1080 mini $720 USD, 3 left in stock! I got mine!

GO, GO, GO!!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N11KVI8/?tag=theminutiae-20

If anybody wants specific measurements and any specific angle or pictures/video let me know. @Josh | NFC Sorry i can't do a sketchup but I hope having the real thing might help you with any measurements you might want for S4 fitment confirmation. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 3lfk1ng and Phuncz

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I'm not sure what I really expected for price, but I was certainly hoping for about $200 cheaper. I've got a little time before I need a card, so maybe in a few months prices will have dropped, or there will be other options on the table.