GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
The one I linked to works with my card, CubanLegend's one locks my ram clocks at 405MHz.

You have nothing to gain by flashing my BIOS. Fans are still locked to a 37% minimum, clock speeds and power limits are the same.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Can the TI version of the zotac 1080 mini set it's fan speed below 37%?
The speeds 1080 (non -TI) mini's fan at 37% is incredibly loud!
And I'd rather not change the fans and risk voiding the warranty.

bananaboy93

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 28, 2018
Ah OK, I saw the black thin fans and SWORE someone managed to get Noctua's offerings on it. Maybe I'm just imagining at this point.

Either way I managed to get them to mail me two of the high rpm thin fans from their coolers, will see what I can manage with them :)

im trying to figure out a way to mount it on as I wait for my s4mini. I also bought a mini gpu 4pin adapter to connect the two fans directly onto the GPU. If you need a link to the cable let me know.

bananaboy93

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 28, 2018
Yep, there was definitely coil whine from the GPU using an SFX PSU (Corsair SF600 as a placeholder in this instance).

No, but I would imagine that would also shave a few degrees. I'm debating on using Kryonaut eventually. Also keep in mind the hot ambient (it's summer here) and subtract 3 degrees for a typical environment.

Thank you for the kind words!
  1. I used MSI Afterburner with the voltage/frequency editor (Ctrl+F to bring it up). There are guides on OCN and Reddit. You don't need the EVGA BIOS. This will work on any Pascal Nvidia card. The "L" key locks the frequency at the voltage you select, but I didn't need to do that since the card was steady the entire time during Heaven. It down clocks nicely afterwards at the desktop too.
  2. Every chip is different so you'll have to try it. For example, some people can do 0.900 V at 1900 MHz, while I needed 0.950 V.
  3. Yes, MSI Afterburner.

Hello, I just want to make sure I am doing this right. I can do all of that by installing the Noctua fans onto my GPU with a mini adapter and NOT having to flash my bios because thats too risky for me lol. Next, I can control the fans curve and undervolting with MSI afterburner? Please and thank you =)

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Hello, I just want to make sure I am doing this right. I can do all of that by installing the Noctua fans onto my GPU with a mini adapter and NOT having to flash my bios because thats too risky for me lol. Next, I can control the fans curve and undervolting with MSI afterburner? Please and thankyou =)
Yes, that is all correct. Just plug and play. As far as mounting, it is up to you. I would try mounting it using the S4M adapter, but you may get some noise with the fans being so close to the case. I just ziptied my fans onto my 1080. Check my build log for photos.

bananaboy93

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 28, 2018
Yes, that is all correct. Just plug and play. As far as mounting, it is up to you. I would try mounting it using the S4M adapter, but you may get some noise with the fans being so close to the case. I just ziptied my fans onto my 1080. Check my build log for photos.

I also tried zip tying it beforehand, I just didnt know whether or not I should tie em to the heat pipes. now that I know it can be done I dont have to worry!

kiba113

Efficiency Noob
Apr 25, 2018
this card is way too loud in my kolink rocket case even when i put it at lowest fan(37%). is there a way to make it more silent?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Six posts up, post #264. That's basically the easiest way if possible. Besides two pressure-optimized fans it also requires a PWM 4-pin fan cable adapter to the mini version so you can attach the fans to the GPU: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZKZEQA/?tag=theminutiae-20
If you use two PWM fans, you also need a PWM splitter, which is included in for instance Noctua NF-F12 fans (ideal for this sort of thing).

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
MSI Afterburner is software that can adjust fan curves, which will probably not solve the problem. The GPU is on the side of the case, but the perforation is really restrictive. This is something many copycat manufacturers ignore due to cost-saving. You can try and see if it is quieter with the side panel off. If you don't have enough airflow in the case, it might also be that the card is recycling hot air. Considering the Kolink case only supports a single 80mm fan, I'd look into that if you don't already have a decent fan in there.

kiba113

Efficiency Noob
Apr 25, 2018
yes afterburner cannot overwrite the gpu settings i think, my fan curve gets ingored pretty much

i think its enough cooled, its not really hot. its just that there are holes on the side which makes it really loud so i might just try to dampen the gpu side somehow

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
You can't "dampen" the noise, that would require a massively larger case to actually achieve anything because without airflow the card will only get hotter and thus louder. If the fans are the problem even when running at the lowest rpm, they need to be replaced. Ergo: the solution on post #264.

Unless the bearing in the fan is broken but finding a replacement will require you to contact the manufacturer.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Anybody ever get a measurement of the card without the shroud?

Trying to see if I can get it to fit in the Zotax AMP Box mini EGPU.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
What's the actual deal on this GPUs platform making the bios unhackable to drop the minimum fan speed?
And has there been any progress towards it?