CPU Zalman CNPS2X 65w i7 performance

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Hi all,

I had initially planned my to build my case around either the l9i or ar05 + hdplex 400w (basically the same height when installed, so a logical combo), but I'm now considering the cnps2x + a pico 160xt or g-unique as it would allow me to make my case a bit slimmer.

I've been trying to find a review/test of the zalman using a non-k 6700 or 7700 but can't find any. Most reviews are from years ago using 84w cpus, which it obviously doesn't stand up to very well. The roundup video @Josh | NFC put up on youtube (great vid btw) is using a 6700k, and @Kmpkt 's shootout he's working on, which looks to be amazing isn't necessarily applicable to this since he is using a 7700k.

Correct me if I'm wrong... I've got it in my head that when a cooler is outmatched by the cpu it's paired with, it's results relative to another cooler aren't necessarily reflective of the temp difference between the two coolers on a cpu more appropriate to it's abilities.

The SFF wiki says this about the cnps2x, "You probably wouldn't want to use this on anything >65W TDP, or more comfortably, a 35W TDP chip.", which makes me think it could manage, but maybe not very well. Has me a bit hesitant.

Also I saw on tom's hardware that the 7700 uses ~50 watts while gaming, compared to an i5 7600 that uses ~40 if I remember correctly. That makes me think the 7700 would be more of a strain on the cnps2x than a 65w i5 (is my logic on this off?).

I really tried to find results for the cnps2x on a 6700/7700 on my own, but my google skills have failed me lol. Maybe someone here can pull through for me?

TLDR:

Does anyone have experience with a sky/kaby lake 65w i7 using the zalman? What's a reasonable expectation for temp increase vs an l9i? Is there a more applicable review out there I've failed to dig up?

Thanks for any insight!

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I guess it would probably do just fine on my i7 7700. Just not sure of how much heat I'm taking on vs going with the l9i, but I guess in the end if it does the job I probably wouldn't notice any real difference even if it is a bit hotter.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Is cnps2x not discontinued right now?
In my past experience on zalman product i was always a bit disappointed by their fan bearing noise.

Anyway, i would like to point out that l9i has also advantage to let you orientate your fan as you want (as intake or exhaust). In smaller case, my experience led me always in exhaust mode as cpu fan is acting as global exhaust fan...better performance on long run as it's removing hot air from case...:)

Reactions: BeerNsoup

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Is cnps2x not discontinued right now?
In my past experience on zalman product i was always a bit disappointed by their fan bearing noise.

Hmmm, might be discontinued... but still from newegg.ca and amazon.ca for about $15 canadian cheaper than an l9i. Were you using the cnps2x or other zalman models, and on what cpu(s)? I'm under the impression it's pretty quiet unless it's tasked with a 95W+ cpu :/.

Anyway, i would like to point out that l9i has also advantage to let you orientate your fan as you want (as intake or exhaust). In smaller case, my experience led me always in exhaust mode as cpu fan is acting as global exhaust fan...better performance on long run as it's removing hot air from case...:)

Yeah that's actually a factor I've been really interested to see tested. @Kmpkt will be doing that with the finalists in his shootout which I'm pretty eager to see the results of. The cnps2x does have the positive of distributing air around to cool motherboard components though, and of course letting me build my case a bit slimmer.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
No it was cnps 8900 or something like that. Issue was the fan was not the highest quality possible and not replacable..:)

Reactions: Soul_Est