Power Supply 95W CPU (i7-8086K) with HD PLEX 160W?

kross

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 29, 2017
I'm currently running an i7-7700 (non-K) which is a 65W TDP CPU with the HDPLEX 160w internal power brick and 160w nanoATX. Running inside a Skyreach 4 Mini (love this case, BTW).

I'm using internal Intel graphics. I am NOT using a dedicated GPU.

Would it be possible to upgrade the CPU to a 95W TDP CPU and keep the same power supply?

I guess I could try it, and upgrade the power supply if needed. But I'd kinda like to know going in what I'm in for.

Thanks!
-- Kevin

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Should be more than enough power for the 8086K if there's no GPU to draw load. Max all-core frequency (ie. peak stock power draw) on the 8086K is 4.7 GHz. If you look at this article from Anandtech you can see this equates to a 123W draw. Unless spiking is violent you may even be able to manage a moderate overclock on the chip using the HDPlex AC-DC/DC-ATX combo (4.9 GHz all cores).

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12945/the-intel-core-i7-8086k-review/3

Reactions: thewizzard1

kross

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 29, 2017
Cool thanks!

Now I just need to figure out how to cool the CPU. The Noctua slim cooler works great for my 65w CPU. Noctua says it will work with some 95w CPUs. Not recommended for this particular CPU. But I also know they are being conservative, and I won't be running at 100%.

So my gut feeling is it will be okay, but if it isn't, there aren't many other coolers to choose from, that will fit in the S4MINI.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
LP53 with the fan off of your Noctua would probably be your best bet. @Thehack's J-Hack Mod Shop sells the heatsink as well as a 3D printed adapter for the fan.