Cooling Z390 phantom gaming-itx and Black Ridge

adamik17

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 26, 2019
Hi! I don't know where to post this question. I want to find out if the ASRock Z390 Phantom gaming-itx has any cleareance issues with the Alpenföhn Black Ridge. I will be using Corsair Vengeance LPX memory. If anyone here knows the answer, please respond. Thank you in advance!

owo

Treshy

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
Hi! I don't know where to post this question. I want to find out if the ASRock Z390 Phantom gaming-itx has any cleareance issues with the Alpenföhn Black Ridge. I will be using Corsair Vengeance LPX memory. If anyone here knows the answer, please respond. Thank you in advance!

owo

you NEED a flexible PCIe riser cable to do this, the cooler blocks the PCIe slot. You can see it in the pictures in the PCPP link JustinDulay posted above

kkeevviinn

Efficiency Noob
Aug 11, 2019

owo

The Alpenfohn will have no clearance issues if you are using the 92mm fan. But if you end up using the 120mm (Noctua NF-A12x15) fan you will need to modify the VRAM heat sink, which I ended up doing, and using VLP ram. Dont laugh at my botched job! lol im running a 9700k at stock clocks with no issues. idle temp is at 33c and while playing witcher 3 it stays under 65c. This is also in the Dan a4-sfx v4 case.

Last edited:
Reactions: XcPNehVYlE4A3C

snorlax

Case Bender
Feb 6, 2019
The Alpenfohn will have no clearance issues if you are using the 92mm fan. But if you end up using the 120mm (Noctua NF-A12x15) fan you will need to modify the VRAM heat sink, which I ended up doing, and using VLP ram. Dont laugh at my botched job! lol im running a 9700k at stock clocks with no issues. idle temp is at 33c and while playing witcher 3 it stays under 65c. This is also in the Dan a4-sfx v4 case.

Hi dude, is it possible to position black ridge so that heatpipes point to ram? (I mean let the bend part of heatpipes stays with vram)

futurewau

Average Stuffer
Sep 20, 2019

one question did you put the noctua on top of the heat sink or did you remove the black blackridge fan underneath and replaced it?

futurewau

Average Stuffer
Sep 20, 2019

Is it possible to put the fan on TOP of the heatsink instead of underneath?

Basefrq

Efficiency Noob
Nov 8, 2019
Is it possible to put the fan on TOP of the heatsink instead of underneath?
Of course. But there are a couple issues I discovered.
1. This crucial vlp ram suggested by optimum tech is incompatible with this mb.
2. 120mm fans on this cooler require the included brackets as oppose to screws which work with only 92mm bottom fan. The box comes with enough brackets for only one single slim fan and one single full size fan.

So if you are able to find vlp ram that is compatible with this board and you want to run a 2X 120mm slim fan set up, you will need to hit up black ridge about acquiring another set of slim fan mounting brackets.

wishbits

Cable Smoosher
Dec 11, 2019

So if you are able to find vlp ram that is compatible with this board and you want to run a 2X 120mm slim fan set up, you will need to hit up black ridge about acquiring another set of slim fan mounting brackets.

@Basenfrq

Just make sure to use "non-ECC" RAM. He linked the wrong one.

Your are looking for 2 of these:

-> PC4-21300U (JEDEC)
-> NON-ECC

Do you think the cooler will still fit with VLP and 120mm fan when direct-die cooling the Intel CPU?

Last edited:

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
i'm looking into aftermarket cooling solutions for this board to make it more compatible. can someone measure the vrm heatsink mounting hole spacing for me?

MPKWGWBGATES1189888

Cable Smoosher
Mar 29, 2020
2. 120mm fans on this cooler require the included brackets as oppose to screws which work with only 92mm bottom fan. The box comes with enough brackets for only one single slim fan and one single full size fan.

Sorry ... I saw you say that the Crucial LP Memory is not compatible

Do you mean this Memory ???

16GB DDR4 2666MHz VLP ECC UDIMM Memory Compatible with CT16G4XFD8266
US $110.00

Is this memory compatible with the ASRock Phantom ITX ?

Regards

Basefrq

Efficiency Noob
Nov 8, 2019
@Basenfrq

Just make sure to use "non-ECC" RAM. He linked the wrong one.

Your are looking for 2 of these:

-> PC4-21300U (JEDEC)
-> NON-ECC

Do you think the cooler will still fit with VLP and 120mm fan when direct-die cooling the Intel CPU?

Do you know for sure this RAM is compatible? It's not on Asrocks compatibility list. I only see the non-VLP version of this model. https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITXac/index.us.asp#Memory

Basefrq

Efficiency Noob
Nov 8, 2019
Sorry ... I saw you say that the Crucial LP Memory is not compatible

Do you mean this Memory ???

16GB DDR4 2666MHz VLP ECC UDIMM Memory Compatible with CT16G4XFD8266
US $110.00

Is this memory compatible with the ASRock Phantom ITX ?

Regards

CT16G4VFS4266 Is the one I tried but wasn't compatible. I don't think there's any VLP RAM on asrocks compatibility list. KVR26N19S8L/8 might work idk