YASFF Build

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015

Sorry for potato camera :(

I built this based on the original parts off https://github.com/cokeeffekt/yasff
I forked it and did my own modifications: https://github.com/alex-ong/yasff

Main Changes:
  • More air slots, even in the base plate (#copying LZ7)
  • 6 PSU mounting points rather than 3 (Implemented this after horror stories from LZ7 thread)
  • Side panels are the same design now
  • Power button moved to back
  • 2.5" mounts can now mount vertically or horizontally to give more clearance to the fan

List of build materials (actual):

Build Log
I obtained the 3d Printed corners/edges from 3dHubs. That was painless. I ordered some 3mm plywood and 4.5mm matte acrylic off eBay and began laser cutting it. (Image is a video. click to animate :) )

After this was done, i had a whole bunch of panels. I sanded them, stained them and then varnished them.
Here's some unfinished panels (don't have pictures of after i varnished them unfortunately)

After finishing the panels i got around to inserting the threaded inserts into the 3d printed edges. It was really simple - put a soldering iron on the threaded insert and push gently. Took 10 seconds each:

Finally, I got around to assembling the whole thing.

Everything fit in fine. It took around 2 hours to build, including a 30 minute POST test outside the case since I had a new power supply.

Short video / Long Video:

Performance/Testing:
Noise
: Definitely louder than my old case. At load, there was no 180mm fan to keep things cool. The gpu fan at 60% is way louder when there are air holes on the side. The 80mm fan that i ended up installing was also pretty crap, and audible even at 25%. Everything in this case sounds louder. Also the 180mm at 50-70% was audible but not annoying, muffling the GPU fan at 60% (since previous case had no side holes). This case the noise is pretty aggravating. I would suspect its exactly the same audio performance as the LZ7 since they have very similar designs. The cpu fan is inaudible over everything else.

Thermals: Everything ran hotter than my previous case (due to no 180mm fan). The CPU actually performed pretty similarly (though 80mm fan had to go quite fast), maybe 60 degrees at load. The gpu needed to be throttled to keep fan speed around 60%.

Here's a rough chart of my findings:

Hopefully more people use YASFF - it is truly a cheap and easy build!

Last edited:

Ephixi4

Chassis Packer
Feb 7, 2018
How about mounting a 120 mm high static pressure fan on the back? Outside of the case of course. You could make like a small box for it so it's not just a bare fan sticking out and to have more focused flow and a dust filter.

Just my idea :p

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
How about mounting a 120 mm high static pressure fan on the back? Outside of the case of course. You could make like a small box for it so it's not just a bare fan sticking out and to have more focused flow and a dust filter.

Just my idea :p

I don't think it would help since the limiting factor while gaming (e.g OverWatch) for noise is the GPU, which would need direct air to it to shut it up.

Mounting a fan to the back would just keep the CPU cooler, but that's already fairly quiet. If i get around to removing one of my 2.5' drives (upgrading my m.2. to say a 1tb ssd) then i could install a 120mm slim fan on the side panel.

Another solution would be to get a EVGA 1060 since i heard they are actually quiet.

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
I like the wood panels. Would replacing the acrylic with wood be doable, too? Thinking that would be stronger

Ephixi4

Chassis Packer
Feb 7, 2018
I don't think it would help since the limiting factor while gaming (e.g OverWatch) for noise is the GPU, which would need direct air to it to shut it up.

Mounting a fan to the back would just keep the CPU cooler, but that's already fairly quiet. If i get around to removing one of my 2.5' drives (upgrading my m.2. to say a 1tb ssd) then i could install a 120mm slim fan on the side panel.

Another solution would be to get a EVGA 1060 since i heard they are actually quiet.
Ah I see now! Videos didn't load for me back then. What GPU is that? Maybe thermal paste change or even undervolting would bring down the temps a bit?

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
I like the wood panels. Would replacing the acrylic with wood be doable, too? Thinking that would be stronger
It's doable but no idea how strong it would be.
I stuck with acrylic because it was proven to work.
Ah I see now! Videos didn't load for me back then. What GPU is that? Maybe thermal paste change or even undervolting would bring down the temps a bit?
Msi 970 mini.

I can't undervolt without reflashing bios :(

The main annoyance is that 60% gpu fan in this case is far more audible than in my old case.

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Sep 14, 2017
Wow this is awesome to see a build come from my design. Looks great i really would like to see more builds come from it, really has me glad i documented it all and open sourced it!

Reactions: Choidebu

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
A shot of the new (improved) 2.5" holders - allows use of 80mm fan even with 2 drives.

I suspect that my gpu is just loud for some reason, and it is not a fault of the case. This conclusion is based on the fact that everyone else is using LZ7 and isn't complaining about GPU noise and this has an effectively identical design.

I'll probably go ahead and re-paste my gpu at some point. my warranty ends in december so probably then.

Last edited:
Reactions: cokeeffekt

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Alright after doing more research I solved my GPU fan noise and temp woes! It all came down to user error.
My baddddd mistakes:

1) I originally ran all testing in vertical orientation. I figured the 3D printed edges would be enough clearance to give the GPU air. I was wrong. This is why it was throttling. After these tests I ran it in horizontal (like the picture in this thread) with case feet and throttling ceased, and I haven't been gaming on anything intense. Therefore, after initial testing, the only thing that i've actually noticed is the noise.

2) Noise was because the fan curve was set wrong. I had it at 60%, which is 2300rpm. After reading a few reviews, they kept stating "2000rpm, audible but quiet" That's 50% on the fan curve. I disabled the fan curve on my MSI afterburner, and noticed it settled at 50%. I ran heaven again (this time in horizontal orientation, and default fan curve), and noticed that it was now... audible but pleasant and quiet. I tweaked it a bit and ended up at 48% which is 1850rpm.

60% fan on my old case was significantly quieter than 60% fan on this case due to no direct holes to the gpu, and a 700rpm 180mm fan masking the noise. After correcting fan curves, the noise is now good. Heat issues were because i was dumb and didn't have enough intake for the gpu in original testing.

Final results in heaven perfectly matched the reviews (53 fps @ 1080p 8x AA Ultra preset). No throttling or anything.

Mtthwmths

Trash Compacter
Jan 24, 2018
Way to stick with it and set the fan curves. I have an RX580 that is terribly loud on auto fans, and I haven't done anything about it in the 4 months I've had the card. You're the good example I needed ! :p

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Way to stick with it and set the fan curves. I have an RX580 that is terribly loud on auto fans, and I haven't done anything about it in the 4 months I've had the card. You're the good example I needed ! :p
Yeah the rx580 should be on par with a 280 for noise ,(similar tdp and cooler). My 280 was silent even at 50% fans (though it was in a Sugo sg09)

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
I've updated my build!

- Changed from Xeon 1231v3 + Asus z97i to Ryzen 2700x + MSI b450i

- Changed side panel from slits to open air, since it was creating a turbulent noise.
- Custom sleeved cables from WinKool on Aliexpress (only $30~ USD for 24pin + EPS + PCI-E)
- Added a 180 degree connector on the GPU so the case could actually close ($5)