Motherboard x370/x470 for ITX use?

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Apr 4, 2018
I did a quick search and couldn't find folks' opinions on this question. For those using the high-end AM4 chipset on mITX boards, what are the advantages over the B350/B450 poorer cousins? Are the higher-end chipsets getting put into motherboards with truly higher-end design and features?

Reactions: br3nd0

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
I did a quick search and couldn't find folks' opinions on this question. For those using the high-end AM4 chipset on mITX boards, what are the advantages over the B350/B450 poorer cousins? Are the higher-end chipsets getting put into motherboards with truly higher-end design and features?

Pretty sure the 4 series have AMD StoreMI technology over and above the 3 series. From what I can gather that's the only real difference. My next build will most likely be Ryzen flavoured, and I'll be using the 4 series just to try this out, for sh!ts & gigs.

Reactions: el01 and annasoh323

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
From what I've seen, pretty much every X series ITX board is identical to the B series board from the same manufacturer, implying that the extra features of the higher chip is being ignored. #marketing

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Apr 4, 2018
From what I've seen, pretty much every X series ITX board is identical to the B series board from the same manufacturer, implying that the extra features of the higher chip is being ignored. #marketing

That's a bit troubling since it brings up the PC tweaker's existential crisis: what does it mean to have the "best"? Leads into an additional discussion: has any brave soul collated information on all of the mITX AM4 boards?

I'm going to take another hard look at my sister's Gigabyte AB350 Gaming board... don't tell her but I'm keeping a weather eye for Ryzen 2/3000 series CPUs for a hostile takeover of her system if performance checks out. Still, I hold out hope that maybe the next-gen motherboards will have some differentiating features. But if history is any guide, then maybe we ought not to hold our collective breath.

What "extra features" theoretically could an X chipset offer over the B chipset on an mITX platform?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Theoretically? Not much. More USB 3.1 gen 1. Maybe an extra M.2 slot.

From PCWorld:

Note that the PCIex16 slot on the boards is from the CPU, so that PCIe 2.0 lane count is extra lanes from the chipset :)

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Apr 4, 2018
Theoretically? Not much. More USB 3.1 gen 1. Maybe an extra M.2 slot.

From PCWorld:

Note that the PCIex16 slot on the boards is from the CPU, so that PCIe 2.0 lane count is extra lanes from the chipset :)
Well, go ahead and file me under "let me Google that for you." Thanks.

Anyone here who uses X370/X470 boards: any particular reason you were drawn to the board you use? No dumb reasons here; just trying to get a lay of the land.

Saici

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
Using an AsRock B450 itx/ac and apart from the VRMs running at apparently 107°C it's running completely fine with 16GB 3000mhz RAM, an M.2 NVMe on a R7 2700X, stock.

I specifically gave B450 a try after comparing itx-x470/b450 boards and not finding a difference apart from StoreMi.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
For ITX, there really is no functional difference. The X?70 adds extra USB and SATA ports, but there really isn't anywhere to place them on an ITX board. It also allows for PCI bifurcation, but if you're at SFF level anyway, you mostly likely aren't going to be running two GPUs in a tiny case (space, heat, and power supply are all reasons).

This review shows the charts: https://www.kitguru.net/tech-news/l...ipset-preview-x470-features-at-a-lower-price/

You can still have 4 SATA ports with Bx50 because the SATA Express portion can be repurposed to compensate for that.

So for us, the B?50 chipset just makes sense to save money. Then you have to look at any differences from the manufacturer side. For ASUS, the boards are literally identical except for the chipset. For ASRock, the only difference is that on the X470 they use a top end intel wifi/BT card for 1733 Mbps./BT 5.0 versus a much lower level one on the B450 (433 Mbps/BT 4.2). That higher end card can be purchased for less than $30 usually -- but then you'd have to install it. So, for ASRock it becomes more of a choice.

Now, 4xx versus 3xx -- that's another question altogether. They did add some new features like StoreMI, XFR2, and PBO2. So if those are important, then you'd want a 4xx series board. If you're are just going to ever run an APU, then it also doesn't matter as much. The only sticky point is that most people have been saying that memory compatibility has been increased with the 4xxx series boards.

So, generally speaking, unless there is a huge price difference and you have a matching use case, the B450 is really the sweet spot for SFF AM4.

For ATX (and maybe mATX), then there are going to be more differences between the boards with number of USB/SATA ports and maybe even component quality. Then it becomes a little more of a decision about X vs. B chipsets.

Last edited:

miptzi

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 20, 2017
The only sticky point is that most people have been saying that memory compatibility has been increased with the 4xxx series boards.

Main and only reason in my eyes.... In hunting a b450i to get that improved "compatibility" with cost going low as possible...