News [Guru3D] Gigabyte AX370 Motherboard (AM4 Socket) Pictures

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/photos-of-gigabyte-ax370-gaming-k3-socket-am4-motherboard-pcb.html

Looks like 6 x USB 3.0 and 2 x USB 3.1 on the rear I/O with 2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 internal headers.

Guru3D said:
  • AMD X370 Chipset (High-End) - So the most high-end chipset will be the X370 with that X for Extreme. This chipset will support Multi-GPU rendering (Crossfire and SLI) with two full x16 PCI Express slots (Gen 3.0). The chipset will support overclocking. Basically this is the chipset series you and yours truly will be after once Zen releases and yes you can expect a dandy overclocking software suite.
The only way I can make sense of this with the pictures provided is that the processor has 16 PCI-e 3.0 lanes that can be split into two x8 lanes for SLI and then the chipset has an additional 16 PCI-e 3.0 lanes to be divided into additional I/O (I see a x4 and 3 x x1 PCI-e slots, a x4 M.2 slot, the GbE probably uses x1, and perhaps the final 4 lanes are flex I/O with USB?). I'm curious if any of the USB or other I/O will be coming directly from the processor with the mention of Zen being more SoC flavored processors (but that could be limited to the lower end processors meant for tablets and such). It looks like there will be PS/2 port, 20-1 pin TPM, and single GbE on this board above.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
It may simply be that this is a lower end board and omits a second CPU-connected x16 slot.

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That's what I think too. But I find it odd that all the leaked boards we've seen so far seem to be budget boards with only one x16 slot :\

|||

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
If the CPU has 32 PCI-e 3.0 lanes coming directly off of it, running traces and putting in through-holes for a slot is basically free. It's only when you start needing to add switching elements, does it begin to add cost and design complexity to significantly increase the cost of the board. The only possible logic for not including a second slot when there are available electrical connections is if down-market CPU's will not have them. However, we know that AMD will be launching their high-end CPU's first, following it later on with down-market units.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Unlike the last board, this one looks like an actual production board with the proper silkscreening and everything.

What's strange however is that the 7-Phase (i.e. 4+3 phase) VRM matches what we saw on the B350-based board previously.
I had just assumed that the enthusiast x370 boards would opt for a 10 or 12 phase setup, maye it's not necessary? *shrug*

Also, the B350 they showcased as least offered two 16x slots, even if one was only wired for 4x (which doesn't matter)
Offering just one 16x on a full-size ATX board seems quite silly even if Crossfire/SLI support is slowing dying off.

Judging by all the mounting holes at the top, it looks like there will be some oversized VRM heatsink in traditional Gigabyte fashion but at least the socket clearance looks pretty decent.
By the placement of that hole just south of the 4-phase VRMs on the left, I wouldn't be surprised if this board had a heatpipe running from VRMs to the chipset around the socket. Also it looks like a more sturdy, perhaps beefier chipset heatsink (4 mounting points vs 2) will be used.

Merely speculating here because it's really hard to tell but the audio area looks like the board will use the Creative Sound Core 3D chip just like the one on the Z170-Gaming. It appears to have two more pins per side (can anyone else see 14?) and a different layout than what is typically found on a Realtek ALC1150 motherboard.

That bottom section looks like a copy+paste from the Z170-Gaming as well.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
Don't be scared, just make sure to follow the rules for the News section. But while AM4 is interesting, I don't think more ATX boards warrants it's own news post. If anyone spots a Mini-ITX AM4 board, that would definitely be news-worthy :)
Well, since AM4 chips wont need a chipset, I wouldn't be surprised if STX boards with 3 M.2 slots become a thing :p ITX would be nice though, but it's too big :c

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Don't be scared, just make sure to follow the rules for the News section. But while AM4 is interesting, I don't think more ATX boards warrants it's own news post. If anyone spots a Mini-ITX AM4 board, that would definitely be news-worthy :)
Amusingly, comment at the top when I looked was something to the effect of "Where's the ITX boards?"

Reactions: Soul_Est

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
It's a bummer that we've yet to see an more legit ITX or mATX boards.

Also, what is up with that 6-pin at the bottom? Additional power for m.2 and/or last PCIe slot? Kind of strange

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Those boards look awful compared to the new 270 boards TBH
That MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM (rawr) looks rather good feature-wise.

We've only seen about 3 boards yet, looking at the dozens upon dozens of ATX boards the 200-series Intel boards have, the AMD boards are still in the clear. Though it should be said that the high-end AMD chips didn't get much mITX love in the past.

Also, what is up with that 6-pin at the bottom? Additional power for m.2 and/or last PCIe slot? Kind of strange
Yeah that's definitely strange, more "OC stability" and bus-powered GPU support for people with crappy PSUs ?

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016

I mean artistically - it looks like they pasted strips of paper over things vs them being cool and metallic. Missed the mark IMO.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yeah I'm also in favor of a more subdued design, but this one passes for me (just barely though). I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty more boards, hopefully with some less shouty and contrasted designs. Or the total lack of design, that would be nice for a change.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016

We've only seen about 3 boards yet, looking at the dozens upon dozens of ATX boards the 200-series Intel boards have, the AMD boards are still in the clear. Though it should be said that the high-end AMD chips didn't get much mITX love in the past.

Yeah that's definitely strange, more "OC stability" and bus-powered GPU support for people with crappy PSUs ?
Additional PCIe power for LN2 GPU overclocking and/or multi GPU systems.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Going by those model numbers, I see no M-ITX offerings. *bursts into tears*

• ASRock X370 Taichi, ASRock X370 Gaming K4, ASRock AB350 Gaming K4 & ASRock A320M Pro4
  • Asus B350M-C
  • Biostar X370GT7, Biostar X350GT5 & Biostar X350GT3
  • Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K5, Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 & Gigabyte A320M-HD3
  • MSI A320M Pro-VD, MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium, MSI B350 Tomahawk & MSI B350M Mortar