News ASRock releases new BIOS for basically every AM4 board !

ASRock has been generous this holiday by releasing new BIOS updates for basically every AM4 socket board they have ! The update includes Pinnacle Ridge AGESA 1.0.0.6, which is a newer version than Raven Ridge AGESA 1.0.0.6 or Summit Ridge AGESA 1.0.0.6.

Here are the more popular mITX board update links:

CAUTION: updating to this BIOS will wipe your overclocking settings, that also means manual memory timings ! Be sure to write these down !
CAUTION: if you are using an APU, be sure to update to the 18.10.20_NHDA drivers (link) before updating !

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
After checking other mITX board manufacturers, it seems all of them have updated their first gen and second gen Ryzen chipset boards !

Reactions: VegetableStu

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
How are things for the 1st gen Ryzen CPUs? Is there any benefit to updating to the newest BIOS? I'm at 4.70 now...
Anyone try this new update with their 1st gen Ryzen?

Reactions: thel3igo

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The new PinnaclePi AGESA 1.0.0.6 has what I've found yet again better (*) memory support and allow for higher clocks, as well as allow overclocking on the Athlon 200GE.

(*) "better" depends on a lot of factors, Ryzen 1000-series is very finnicky about memory in the sense that you can't just apply the same overclocks (through XMP) optimized for Intel as you can for AMD. Ryzen 2000-series addresses this profoundly though. For Ryzen 1000-series these updates have had mixed experiences on different board and CPU combos: some people can achieve higher clocks with older BIOS versions, some with newer BIOS versions.

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
Good news and thank you for this post. I'm going to get the ol' G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ back out and see if I can get more out of it vs. my 3200C14 Kit.

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2018
How would I find out if I have the 18.10.20_NHDA diver installed?

I believe I am running ver 1.30 on the Asrock B450itx and would like to know if updating to the 1.70 would be something I should do.
I have Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz ram that can only be run at 3000mhz. Would updating allow it to run at the rated 3200mhz? Are there any other benefits that come with the 1.70 Bios?

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
Asrock never learn how to create bios. AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac 5.30 - soc voltage setting is gone. If you set some lower ram timings at boot bios says about AMD ftpm coruption, but this option is off by default.
RAM overclock with 2400G still terrible. Can't get stable 3400mhz with uhq b-die.

Reactions: Phuncz

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2018
Start AMD's Radeon Settings and find the Software section, it should be there.

So, I am finally getting around to doing the BIOS update. I've been putting it off because they system works fine. But, I want to update it in hopes I can finally get the the rated 3200mhz speed for my Ram.

I looked for the Radeon settings. But my computer did not have this. So I went to ASRock's Website and Downloaded the "All in 1 with VGA Driver ver:18.10.20_NHDA"

And now have the Radeon settings. So I should be good to go with the bios update.

I downloaded off the link for the Instant Flash 1.70. And extracted to my flash drive. Which is formatted to Fat32. Now the only thing on my Flash drive is a file named B45GIA_1.70 And its Type is "70 File" and size is 16.384kb. Does all this look right? I would have thought the file size would have been bigger.

First time doing a bios update so I just want to double check everything with people that really know what they are doing.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If you are updating via the BIOS / UEFI menu, than having the "B45GIA_1.70" file on a USB stick is enough. It's called a "70 File" because the letters following the last dot in a filename is the file extension. In this case it's "70", even though it's just a version number for the firmware.

Just be sure to do this calmly and patiently. Don't stare at the progress bar, it's dangerous :D

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2018
If you are updating via the BIOS / UEFI menu, than having the "B45GIA_1.70" file on a USB stick is enough. It's called a "70 File" because the letters following the last dot in a filename is the file extension. In this case it's "70", even though it's just a version number for the firmware.

Just be sure to do this calmly and patiently. Don't stare at the progress bar, it's dangerous :D

Thank you so much for explaining that. I really wanted verification before I attempted anything myself just to be safe.

Thanks!

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2018
Bios Update was successful. But, unfortunately I still can't achieve the rated 3200mhz on my ram. As soon as I set it and try to boot it simply refuses to boot. Even though as soon as you load XMP it defaults to 3200mhz...

Whats weird is that I bought the set new from a Ebay store. Which listed it as 3000mhz but when it came in they were 3200mhz. I figured it was just a error on their part for listing it wrong.

But, now considering I can only achieve 3000mhz. I am starting to wonder whats going on. Not only does the package read 3200Mhz. But, the Ram stocks themselves read 3200Mhz.

Any thoughts? Or is ASRock simply not compatible with Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram.

lol and here I paid extra for the Corsair ram over the G-Skill ram...

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
DDR4-3200 isn't a guaranteed spec, it's an overclocking spec. Ryzen 1000-series is really fussy about all memory chips except for "Samsung B-die" memory and a rarer Micron series I forgot. Basically, if you have DDR4-3200 RAM and it's CAS Latency 15 or higher, you're out of luck and not expect speeds above DDR4-2933 rating. Having two sticks of 16GB or 4 sticks of 8GB also complicates things.

Ryzen 2000-series can often run these troublesome RAM sticks without much fuss.

About board auto-OC settings: I configured a friend's new Ryzen setup with a B450 board and Ryzen 2700X, with a click of a seemingly safe setting, it OC'ed the chip to constantly have the 8 cores at 4.15GHz and it was unstable.

Michael

Average Stuffer
Jan 3, 2016
DDR4-3200 isn't a guaranteed spec, it's an overclocking spec. Ryzen 1000-series is really fussy about all memory chips except for "Samsung B-die" memory and a rarer Micron series I forgot. Basically, if you have DDR4-3200 RAM and it's CAS Latency 15 or higher, you're out of luck and not expect speeds above DDR4-2933 rating. Having two sticks of 16GB or 4 sticks of 8GB also complicates things.

Ryzen 2000-series can often run these troublesome RAM sticks without much fuss.

About board auto-OC settings: I configured a friend's new Ryzen setup with a B450 board and Ryzen 2700X, with a click of a seemingly safe setting, it OC'ed the chip to constantly have the 8 cores at 4.15GHz and it was unstable.

How are Raven Ridge APUs with memory? Are they fussy or not with these newer boards? Thanks!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
What I've read they are a little more forgiving than original Ryzen but not by much. So still recommended to get Samsung B-die memory. Also because the GPU scales partly with RAM speed and those Samsung B-die memory chips can sometimes overclock to DDR4-3466 or even higher on the Ryzen 1000-series. I believe @confusis and @3lfk1ng hit those and high speeds on Ryzen if I remember correctly.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
3200 c14 is the sweetpsot, you can quite literally drive yourself insane playing with ram on the APU's trying to squeeze out more from them.
3200 c14 benches almost the same as 3600 c16 and 4000 c18, don't drive yourself nuts over it, there are seriously no "tangible" gains over 3200 c14.

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
My Flare X set is at 3466 C14, which is the best performance setting I could get after many attempts at higher clocks. It beats even 3700 C16.