Log *complete* S4MAX'23 / World's smallest 4090 build: Brickless 5l S4Mini, 4090FE, 7950X3D, 800W, water cooled

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
@petricor during the research of modern EK blocks (see unanswered message to you above) I found another brand new original Annihilator!!!

Upon inspection I found out that it's not 20mm thick, but instead a whopping 22.3mm thick. My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined... 😉

Lakimakromedia

Caliper Novice
Mar 21, 2019
This is what I did

It adds a significant amount of extra length onto the end of the power supply so might not work in every circumstance.
Anyway u need to solder wires to PS, u cannot drill those plate - i did this, and i regret it... (psu not working like it supose to anymore)

• Sad
Reactions: morj

cyrix

Caliper Novice
Dec 13, 2022
Anyway u need to solder wires to PS, u cannot drill those plate - i did this, and i regret it... (psu not working like it supose to anymore)
If you're talking about drilling through the pcb on the power supply on the output side, of course it isn't going to work; the top is ground and the bottom is +12v. Drilling through and putting a wire through the hole would cause a direct short circuit to ground for the main output. There also might be some communication traces in the pcb in the area that might get broken since it is a 4+ layer board. There are some power supplies that you can do that since the terminals on both sides of the board are the same polarity but not these.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
I finally managed to source an annihilator, so rereading this thread and (most) of the 2080 Ti/3090 adventures was a must! There will be a dedicated thread at a later date, but I’d like to throw this up here so that any new people can see that it’s still possible to do all sorts of watercooled minis. As for me, I'm currently in the early planning stages of an S4m-C variant of the S4Max, which means a few things.

1. I'll likely use the HDplex 250 GaN
2. I have less room in the gpu bay for radiators
3. Theoretically, the width clearance above the motherboard doesn't change, but I do lose a few mm of height

I'm considering an attempt using parts I have on hand - a reference 2080 (HKIV block), lots of 6/10mm g1/4 fittings an X570i strix and 3700x. The second secret sauce beyond the annihilator will be my VLP memory, acquired for my BR builds. I am hoping that I’ll be able to lay the gpu in the same layout as the 4090, with no new parts for the gpu block - only reductive mods where I trim a bit here or there.

Keeping with my penny pinching, the first mock-up will use the TX120 and a12x15 I already have. My goal is to utilize the saved space vs a 140mm combo to mount a DDC, although I have several DC-LT as reserves. If this combo proves to have some clearance, I will swap the a12x15 for a gentle typhoon+ strategic cutouts.

I’m currently debating a few things, such as upgrading to a 5600x3d if finances permit and possibly upgrading the gpu to something in the 30/4070 range. If/when I’ve got a shorter gpu, the radiator would likely be swapped for a 30mm thick offering like the GTS or XR5

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I look forward to starting the process!

immolationepoch

Efficiency Noob
Feb 8, 2023
I finally managed to source an annihilator, so rereading this thread and (most) of the 2080 Ti/3090 adventures was a must! There will be a dedicated thread at a later date, but I’d like to throw this up here so that any new people can see that it’s still possible to do all sorts of watercooled minis. As for me, I'm currently in the early planning stages of an S4m-C variant of the S4Max, which means a few things.

1. I'll likely use the HDplex 250 GaN
2. I have less room in the gpu bay for radiators
3. Theoretically, the width clearance above the motherboard doesn't change, but I do lose a few mm of height

I'm considering an attempt using parts I have on hand - a reference 2080 (HKIV block), lots of 6/10mm g1/4 fittings an X570i strix and 3700x. The second secret sauce beyond the annihilator will be my VLP memory, acquired for my BR builds. I am hoping that I’ll be able to lay the gpu in the same layout as the 4090, with no new parts for the gpu block - only reductive mods where I trim a bit here or there.

Keeping with my penny pinching, the first mock-up will use the TX120 and a12x15 I already have. My goal is to utilize the saved space vs a 140mm combo to mount a DDC, although I have several DC-LT as reserves. If this combo proves to have some clearance, I will swap the a12x15 for a gentle typhoon+ strategic cutouts.

I’m currently debating a few things, such as upgrading to a 5600x3d if finances permit and possibly upgrading the gpu to something in the 30/4070 range. If/when I’ve got a shorter gpu, the radiator would likely be swapped for a 30mm thick offering like the GTS or XR5

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I look forward to starting the process!
May I ask where you sourced the annihilator from? I've been looking for one but in vain.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
May I ask where you sourced the annihilator from? I've been looking for one but in vain.
I got lucky and bought one used from someone who no longer needed his. Now that I have one on hand, I'm toying with the idea of making a custom top out of copper in the same vein as petricor and stanleyguan did for the 4090 block. I'd absolutely love to work with the modultra lobo guys, as they have a nearly perfect base already. That might lead to an even lower profile block which would actually be somewhat accessible.

We shall have to see

Reactions: morj

RAAM

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2024
Superb build!!! I am very impressed and have seen a lot of things in my almost 72 years so not impressed by much, great job!!!!

I am new to SFF, first build, I though it was pretty small in a Fractal Ridge case that now has 12 fans, was going to add AIO but just not needed and it is fully filtered as well. I was looking into smaller cases but after seeing what you have done I might just spend my time and money elsewhere like finishing the last 1,000 hours on our full time RV complete remodel instead. Then build a few sets of tower speaker designs to see what works best for the audio system to go with the stereo 15" subs.

I am going to search for more cool builds here and elsewhere, fun stuff indeed:)

Rick

Last edited: