Advice 5L or smaller case with 4080 advice

Macco_Pe

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 9, 2023
Hi all,
As I eye my DAN A4 v4.1 I cannot help but think about, and start to sketch out, a new build. As a fairly newbie to this world but a will to try I was thinking about watercooling a gpu and cpu in a smaller enclosure. So budget wise I can go the 4080, or similar, route (4090 is too much of a stretch) and am thinking 5L or less. Love my AMD cpus so that is also preferred. My idea is a:
Velka 5 - other suggestions?
B650 MB of some form, suggestions needed?
Ryzen 5 7800x3d
CPU water block - suggestions?
Pump/cooler - suggestions?
4080 deshrouded with aftermarket water block - which one?
PSU - Enhance ENP-7660B 600W

I have looked through loads of builds and threads but no found anything 100% so am throwing the question out there?

Any input greatly appreciated. Really would like to get into watercooling my builds 😊
All the best,
M

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
I'm not sure where you would put a radiator in a Velka 5, there is no unused space in that case.

Reactions: Macco_Pe

Macco_Pe

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 9, 2023
I'm not sure where you would put a radiator in a Velka 5, there is no unused space in that case.
No that is my ”worry” 😂😂 I have my DAN and it is runnig great but the ”smaller with more” bug has gotten me. I can pretty much move over my current setup to a Velka 5 with a new PSU but wanted to add some more to it 😊

Macco_Pe

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 9, 2023
Take a look at this build log for watercooled in 5l case. This build is highly customized and not for the faint of heart.
Yes I have seen that and my level is far beyond that! My hope was that a 4080 is smaller and therefore it may be possible without too much custo…..😊

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
You are "sketching out" a new build with pretty direct specifications and then want us to provide the solution for you. You are not sketching it, just throw out components and then ask us to sketch it.
It makes it obvious that you do not know what is involved with using different cpu's and gpu's and having small cases. Just in general, the smaller you go, the more humble hardware you need to use. Here you are casually talking about some of the hottest components that require the biggest cooling and the size of a K39. The parts and the case are having zero relation to each other. It's like being an architect that "dares to dream big" about a 30sqm studio apartment with a football stadium inside the closet. Is that really commendable for "dreaming big"? It's clearly not reasonable. And then ask others to solve it, makes it worse.

With watercooling, which despite the smaller waterblock, involves even more space than the regular gpu (that's already at the size of an ironing board). due to the piples, pump and radiators. This would require a case that has dual 240mm radiator support and good airflow inside. Even with the cpu - fitment is one thing, you can put a 14900 that consumes 250-300w under an L9i, but does it make any sense? So why would you do the same with a 320w gpu?

Macco_Pe

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 9, 2023
You are "sketching out" a new build with pretty direct specifications and then want us to provide the solution for you. You are not sketching it, just throw out components and then ask us to sketch it.
It makes it obvious that you do not know what is involved with using different cpu's and gpu's and having small cases. Just in general, the smaller you go, the more humble hardware you need to use. Here you are casually talking about some of the hottest components that require the biggest cooling and the size of a K39. The parts and the case are having zero relation to each other. It's like being an architect that "dares to dream big" about a 30sqm studio apartment with a football stadium inside the closet. Is that really commendable for "dreaming big"? It's clearly not reasonable. And then ask others to solve it, makes it worse.

With watercooling, which despite the smaller waterblock, involves even more space than the regular gpu (that's already at the size of an ironing board). due to the piples, pump and radiators. This would require a case that has dual 240mm radiator support and good airflow inside. Even with the cpu - fitment is one thing, you can put a 14900 that consumes 250-300w under an L9i, but does it make any sense? So why would you do the same with a 320w gpu

Having a bad day?
I was interested in getting the foras input to an idea, I did not ask you to solve it but asking for any recommendations on maybe what to look into, such as others have done both here and in direct messages.

Getting 320W, plus say 200W for CPU and other items, heat dissipated out of a 5L chassi is doable as has been proven by others and maybe picking ideas and parts from other industries make this more doable.

By my question I have been led down an amazing rabbit hole by forum members such as down prioritizing noise with server/industry components and pushing air from a fan with static pressure of 15mmHG through a 30fpi 120 radiator one could dissipate >450W of heat…..

So I hope you have a fantastic holiday and happy new year, let us all chase ideas and push them forward!