Motherboard Wishes for a future ASRock AM4 Enthusiast ITX motherboard...

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Sorry @ASRock System , I have been doing more reading on the old Interwebz...

So, would you please, Please, PLEASE push for the following Enthusiast X570 ITX motherboard...?!?

AM4 socket
X570 chipset
Ample power phases for Ryzen 9 3850X CPU
64GB maximum RAM
(2) DIMM slots w/ support for 32GB DDR4-3200 CAS 14 DIMMs (ECC support as well)
NO onboard video support
Chipset moved to bottom rear corner of motherboard (like with the X299 ITX motherboard)
Front side 2280 M.2 slot (like H270 / H370 / Z270 / Z370 ITX motherboards) that is for NVMe SSD only, x4 PCIe straight to the CPU
Two (2) rear 2280 M.2 SATA III SSD slots
NO onboard SATA ports, the backside M.2 SATA III SSDs are what you get
Gen 4 x16 PCIe slot
Dual 10Gb Ethernet
USB-C
USB
Audio I/O & Optical
CPU Fan Header
Water Pump Header
Chassis Fan Header
GPU PWM Input Header
NO RGB LEDs
NO RGB Headers

The ASRock X570E-ITX/ac "Little Monster AM4 Edition"...!!!

I will be glad to T&E a production sample for you, please include R9 3850X CPU & 64GB RAM kit, thanks...! ;^p

Last edited:
Reactions: danny.nguyen

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Sounds a little optimistic XD.

I'd love something similar, but without audio. With something of that caliber, I'd rather go with a quality USB DAC.

I share all the other requirements, SATA must die ! At least, drop a mini SAS HD if SATA is needed, it provides 4x Data from a single connector.

Reactions: 1s44c and Shaav

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Sounds a little optimistic XD.

I'd love something similar, but without audio. With something of that caliber, I'd rather go with a quality USB DAC.

I share all the other requirements, SATA must die ! At least, drop a mini SAS HD if SATA is needed, it provides 4x Data from a single connector.

Maybe a bit optimistic, but if the Ryzen 9 3850X CPU (7nm, 16 core / 32 thread, 4.3GHz base, 5.1GHz boost, 135 watts) becomes a reality; well, that is as close as we are going to get to a Threadripper on ITX, and it would damn well deserve a proper ITX motherboard...!!!

Not really saying that SATA must die, just that I only want it as two 2280 M.2 SATA III SSD slots on the backside of the motherboard, like ASRock already does with the X299 ITX (excepting the SATA only part) motherboard...

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Not really saying that SATA must die, just that I only want it as two 2280 M.2 SATA III SSD slots on the backside of the motherboard, like ASRock already does with the X299 ITX (excepting the SATA only part) motherboard...

On ITX, 4x SATA connectors takes up valuable space, just like that prehistoric 24pins ATX.

It's time to move to modern hardware, servers did it a long time ago.... :D

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
On ITX, 4x SATA connectors takes up valuable space, just like that prehistoric 24pins ATX.

It's time to move to modern hardware, servers did it a long time ago.... :D

But on my proposed AM4 ITX motherboard, THERE ARE NO SATA PORTS, just the two M.2 slots THAT ARE SATA III ONLY on the back of the motherboard, like on the X299 ITX motherboard...

And I totally agree on the 24-pin ATX connector, going to something smaller would be a boon for SFF builds...!!!

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
M.2 SATA are nice indeed, regular SATA not so much.

I don't know what's the current state of 10Gbe controllers. Mostly about their size and cooling requirements.

And with onboard SATA ports removed, the 8-pin CPU connector could be moved over by the 24-pin ATX connector, placing both right next to the PSU in a NCASE M1 chassis...

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
I quite like the layout of that Xeon ITX motherboard.

Remove the 2x SATA to increase the M.2 NVMe length, remove the Aspeed video controller to add more USB and maybe an USB-C and you'd get a great motherboard.

Reactions: Phuncz

Shaav

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 29, 2017
Hello guys,
hello ASRock

After spending a lot of time with my Z77E-ITC/ac and a very good experience with the ASRock customer support I was extremely into buying an ASRock motherboard for my Ryzen CPU. Sadly, all the ASRock mainboards didn‘t have enough USB-ports. I am still looking for a high-end mITX AM4 motherboard and hope you can help me out.

I don’t need:
- analog audio outputs
- video outputs
- SATA ports
- more than one NVME drive
- Ethernet ports

I would love to see:
- great Memory Overclocking
- BIOS created in cooperation with buildzoid.
- acceptable VRM cooling
- 8 USB-ports
- a price tag of less than 300€ hopefully
- something fancy such as:
— an optional monoblock with fins sothat it could be used as a top blower cooler, too. (to have a better cooling in the DAN A4-SFX it should be somehow possible to connect it to a Asetek 545LC water cooler)
— a fan for the VRM and or memory
— shrinking the ATX-PSU and 8-pin CPU connector would be great

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
I don’t need:
- analog audio outputs
- video outputs
- SATA ports
- more than one NVME drive
- Ethernet ports

I would love to see:
- great Memory Overclocking
- BIOS created in cooperation with buildzoid.
- acceptable VRM cooling
- 8 USB-ports
- a price tag of less than 300€ hopefully
- something fancy such as:
— an optional monoblock with fins so that it could be used as a top blower cooler, too. (to have a better cooling in the DAN A4-SFX it should be somehow possible to connect it to a Asetek 545LC water cooler)
— a fan for the VRM and or memory
shrinking the ATX-PSU and 8-pin CPU connector would be great

Gotta have more than one M.2 SSD; remember, every M.2 SSD removes two cables from your system...!

Gotta have Ethernet port(s), home run straight to the router...

I would not mind a Buildzoid model AM4 enthusiast ITX motherboard...

What do you need so many USB ports for...? I would need three USB-A (keyboard, mouse, webcam) & one USB-C (DAC), maximum...

Hybrid air / water monoblock too niche, locked into a specific layout; and extra niche because you want it to work with a specific AIO cooler, which is not even designed to be modular...

I think all of us here on SFFN would love to see reduced-size 24-pin connectors on our ITX motherboards...!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I’ve never understood why they can’t just have the motherboard take straight 12V power over and just do all other conversions (5V, 3.3V) on-board. SATA and similar could be powered through the board headers and already are in some cases (AsRock Deskmini lineup is the obvious one to me). Would be lovely to just have 8 pin 12V connectors as the basis for all larger draws (motherboard base power, EPS, PCIe)

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Gotta have Ethernet port(s), home run straight to the router...

Not only that -- wifi didn't keep up with the ISPs, I just signed a few months ago for a 150/15 Mbps Internet and the ISP doubled the download speed and then I doubled it again to 600/20 Mbps with December sales and some negotation on my end for about the same monthly fee... I can provide 150 Mbps speed over wifi for my tiny home but 600?? https://www.cnet.com/how-to/your-router-isnt-as-fast-as-you-think-it-is-heres-why/ Let's not try that... I have Cat 5e cables running everywhere except the desk itself, there is a small distance from the wall to the desk which now will have a tripwire but I rarely go that ways so it's OK.

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
I will push motherboard team member create another new account such like ASRock MB
By the way, I've passed you guy's opinion to our motherboard PM for internal discussion.

Sweet...!

I really hope that ASRock will make an Enthusiast-grade AM4 ITX motherboard as I outlined above...!!

And again, I would totally be willing to T&E said motherboard, but please include CPU & RAM kit...!!!

EDIT to add:

Made a few changes to the "Dream Board" spec list, more on the highlighted sections is below...

AM4 socket
X570 chipset
Ample power phases for Ryzen 9 3850X CPU
64GB maximum RAM
NO onboard video support
Chipset moved to bottom rear corner of motherboard (like with the X299 ITX motherboard)
Front side 2280 M.2 slot (like H270 / H370 / Z270 / Z370 ITX motherboards) that is for NVMe SSD only, x4 PCIe straight to the CPU
Two (2) rear 2280 M.2 SATA III SSD slots
NO onboard SATA ports, the backside M.2 SATA III SSDs are what you get
Gen 4 x16 PCIe slot
Dual 10Gb Ethernet
USB-C
USB
Audio I/O & Optical
CMOS Reset button & Error Code Display (accessed at motherboard I/O shield)
CPU Fan Header
Water Pump Header
Chassis Fan Header
GPU PWM Input Header
NO physical RGB LEDs
NO RGB Headers

The ASRock X570E-ITX/ac "Little Monster AM4 Edition"...!!!

Regarding the VRMs, improved heat sink for same (like on Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard)...

Regarding chipset, improved heat sink for same, heat pipe to VRM heat sink (like on Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard)...

Regarding CMOS Reset button & Error Code Display, I added a CMOS Reset button & Error Code Display... ;^p

Regarding GPU PWM Input Header, this is something that could be a really unique feature. This would be for use with a water cooling loop that has both the CPU & GPU, the motherboard would come with a 4-pin to VGA (mini 4-pin) cable & the GPU PWM Input Header would take PWM signals from the GPU and use that info to prioritize which signal is controlling the output of the CPU Fan Header. This would allow whichever of the two components that wanted more cooling to control the fan(s) on the radiator...

Thanks...!!!

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Is it okay to necro post if you are the OP...?

So, Computex 2019...

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact Mini-DTX X570 motherboard...

Please, @ASRock System , get whomever it takes to make us a true Enthusiast DTX motherboard...!

No bulky DAC, no MASSIVE DIMM.2 AIC

Just give us an AM4 / X570 DTX board with the following:

First / top slot is a PCIe 4.0 x4 slot, for included AIC - AIC will have TB3 functionality & one or two M.2 NVMe slots

Second / bottom slot is PCIe 4.0 x16, for a GPU

AM4 socket
X570 chipset
70A / true 8+2 phase VRMs
64GB maximum RAM
NO onboard video support (APUs need not apply)
Chipset moved to integrated rear I/O shield with integrated dual 40mm Noctua cooling fans (see the fans on the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact M-DTX)
PCIe 4.0 x4 slot
Included AIC for above (two M.2 NVMe SSD slots)
PCIe 4.0 x16 slot
One 10Gb Ethernet (NAS)
One Gigabit Ethernet (Network)
Thunderbolt 3
USB-C
USB -A
Audio I/O & Optical
CMOS Reset button & Error Code Display (accessed at motherboard I/O shield)
CPU Fan Header
Water Pump Header
(2) Chassis Fan Headers
GPU PWM Input Header
NO physical RGB LEDs
NO RGB Headers

Last edited: