Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

kdude

Cable Smoosher
Dec 5, 2020
Me seeing the shipment notification
Kodak Black Wake Up In The Sky GIF by Gucci Mane

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
What does batch 2 not come with that I would need to pick up? It includes v2 GPU holder and PCIe slot covers, right?

Correct. Unless you have a 1 slot card, you do not need to worry about Spare PCIE Slot Covers. And the V2 GPU holder is standard with all B2 orders.

Are the B stock cases still to be listed or have they sold out?

B-stock Black cases were listed already and sold out. We expect a handful of Extras and B-stock in Silver for B2. I would hang out in the discord if you don't want to miss the notifications for a B-stock drop!

Last edited:
Reactions: incunabula

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Update #27 - Batch 1 Complete, On to Batch 2 + New Accessories!

All cases in Batch 1 (Black) have shipped

• Everyone should have received an email with shipping and tracking information for their case.
  • We will be working on support requests in the coming days, as there were a few outstanding requests that we were waiting on parts in order to fulfill.

Winter One in Black! (Windowed Panel Group Buy details below!)

Batch 2 Production Starts this Friday

We've spent the last few days going through orders, support emails, and any special requests or modifications, making sure all our counts for Batch 2 are accurate. Production starts tomorrow!

Winter One Accessories are available

• Winter One accessories for Batches 1 and 2 are currently listed in our Online Store. The store will remain open until Saturday, Midnight, GMT.
  • Items listed include extra Perf panels, Solid panels, Windowed Panels, Spare PCIE slot covers, etc.
  • Please note that some items are group buys while others are accessories shipping next week.
  • Shipping *can* be combined for some items, but not all items. We are currently looking at combining shipping for panels/accessories if you bought them together, and we will make adjustments where possible.
  • There is also an option to ship these accessories and extras *with* your B2 case, if you have ordered one, for a lower fee. This should really help with keeping shipping costs lower.
  • In-stock accessories will also ship next week, unless you chose to have them shipped with a B2 Silver case, in which case they will arrive in the same box.

Windowed Panel Group Buy!

• The windowed panel was something heavily requested during the Kickstarter, and it’s something that took us a while to get right.
  • The panels themselves are machined, anodized, and bead blasted for a soft-touch finish that matches Winter One cases.
  • The window itself is made from cast acrylic that’s lightly machined on the edges for mounting to take place. This was the best option, as our packaging is not designed to ship tempered glass, and any TG that was flush with the panels would be very thin and likely to break in transit.
  • This item is a Group Buy. MoQ is 35 orders, and will succeed if either color makes it to 35. Currently, we're sitting at 10 orders of the Black and Silver Windowed Panels. If you want windowed panels, now is your chance!
  • Part Compatibility: these panels will not affect internal clearances or external dimensions. Any part that works with the existing Perf / Solid panels should work with the Windowed panels.

Batch 1 B-stock cases ship next week

• We dropped some B-Stock Black W1 cases on our Discord Server, earlier this week. They sold out within minutes.
  • Those of you who were lucky enough to snag black B-stock cases, they should be shipping out next week!

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
@WinterCharm Please check your email. Looks like DHL cannot process my package because 4th August invoice and November 2020 pledge figures are different >.< Man, so much hassle to get 400 USD (before tax), 8 months delayed piece of aluminum...

Woah, that should not be happening. Let me take a look at what's going on.

Edit: Bug in our reciept generation system has been solved. If anyone else has an issue with delivery due to invoice, please send us a support email and we'll take care of it.

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Windowed Panel Update

We're currently sitting very close to the MoQ for black and silver windowed panels.

I'm waiting on the production plan / schedule but if it all works out, we'll push forward with production! Once this happens, a few things will change:

1. We will be producing 25-30 sets (so 50-60 panels) each, of Black / Silver windowed panels.
  2. I will cap the stock to a 22 panels in the store to account for QC issues, and to allow people to purchase currently un-allocated panels.
  3. We will NOT be increasing Order Quantities once we push to production as our factory use will be locked in.
  4. If you think you want the panels, grab them now for a guaranteed spot.
  5. If there are extras and B-stock we will list them in December.

eblvrm

Chassis Packer
Apr 17, 2020
Woah, that should not be happening. Let me take a look at what's going on.

Edit: Bug in our reciept generation system has been solved. If anyone else has an issue with delivery due to invoice, please send us a support email and we'll take care of it.
Case delivered successful, thanks for swift reply with corrected invoice. Will be building in this thing in few months, when I'm back home.

Edit: Shipping price for the extra items on the website is accurate? 123USD shipping for one glass panel, two pcie slot covers and one GPU holder V2 is too much. With such high shipping price I'm gonna pass on those goodies...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: WinterCharm

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Case delivered successful, thanks for swift reply with corrected invoice. Will be building in this thing in few months, when I'm back home.

Edit: Shipping price for the extra items on the website is accurate? 123USD shipping for one glass panel, two pcie slot covers and one GPU holder V2 is too much. With such high shipping price I'm gonna pass on those goodies...
Our system currently doesn't support combining packaging sizes and consolidating shipping costs. It's extremely frustrating. We'll be manually adjusting those closer to when things ship, to reflect the cost of combining those shipments into one.

But I completely understand if it's not feasible to ship some of those accessories worldwide. The shipping cost even for a USPS flat rate box to some places *starts* at $30.

Shipping prices in general are insane right now, and I won't blame anyone in the slightest if they pass on things right now as a result. There's just very little we can do. For the case, we *heavily* subsidized the shipping costs.

Last edited:

Neptimus7

Caliper Novice
Mar 16, 2020
Has anybody gotten filters for their Winter One yet (i.e. Demcifilter), and if so, what's been your experience? If not, would people be interested in a group buy?

Reactions: WinterCharm

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019

Note: Sorry about the delay. This update was posted in our Discord about a week ago, but I forgot to put it here.​

----------

Update 28 — Batch 2 and Winter Design​

Hello everyone, sorry it’s been a while.

Due to the massive increase in aluminum price, manufacturing costs, and international shipping costs, we’ve come to the uncomfortable realization that we are going to be losing money on Batch 2. This is unavoidable no matter what option(s) we choose. We have made the decision to deliver B2, despite losing money, because we feel that it’s the right thing to do for our backers and customers.

I wanted to bring this discussion to our community, because transparency is important. Here are the options we considered:

1. Using our original supply chain, and the B1 manufacturers — For B2 they quoted us $30k higher than Batch 1. For those of you doing the math, we’d be losing ~ 26k on this batch as a result.
2. A set of new manufacturers for B2 - They quoted us about 44k for the production run, bringing our losses down to about $18k for Batch 2, after shipping.
3. Cancelling Batch 2 and refunding — This option would put us in the red for about $28k, since we’ve already ordered / produced some parts and secured packaging and paid for shipping of those parts / materials for B2. Most of that cannot be returned, so we’d have to refund B2, and we’d have a bunch of unused parts sitting around that would have to go to recycling.

Thus We’re left with a list of bad options, and not much room to maneuver. Unfortunately, most of this is due to circumstances we couldn’t have planned for. What would have been a simple Kickstarter + Web order 2-batch production run turned into a logistical nightmare as the global manufacturing systems attempt to recover from COVID-19.

Of those choices, Option 2 appears to be the most appealing, and minimizes our losses, while still delivering Winter One to you. There are some risks, but no more than with Batch 1, when our selected manufacturers were new to the process. There might be slight delays on our timeline, but we’re still trying to get B2 out by the end of the year.

As I’ve said before, B2 will be the last batch. It doesn’t make sense to build this product at today’s aluminum prices, and current manufacturing costs. I know a lot of people had reservations about the cost, but there was genuinely not a ton of margin in this product.

Had it been designed today, there are a lot of decisions we would have made differently, going for the safety of higher margins, and lower manufacturing costs, different materials, and different finishes. It would have been a compromise on our vision for Winter One, and would have lacked the sheer excess that First Edition W1 had, but would have been a profitable product.

----------

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017

Note: Sorry about the delay. This update was posted in our Discord about a week ago, but I forgot to put it here.​

----------

Update 28 — Batch 2 and Winter Design​

Hello everyone, sorry it’s been a while.

Due to the massive increase in aluminum price, manufacturing costs, and international shipping costs, we’ve come to the uncomfortable realization that we are going to be losing money on Batch 2. This is unavoidable no matter what option(s) we choose. We have made the decision to deliver B2, despite losing money, because we feel that it’s the right thing to do for our backers and customers.

I wanted to bring this discussion to our community, because transparency is important. Here are the options we considered:

1. Using our original supply chain, and the B1 manufacturers — For B2 they quoted us $30k higher than Batch 1. For those of you doing the math, we’d be losing ~ 26k on this batch as a result.
2. A set of new manufacturers for B2 - They quoted us about 44k for the production run, bringing our losses down to about $18k for Batch 2, after shipping.
3. Cancelling Batch 2 and refunding — This option would put us in the red for about $28k, since we’ve already ordered / produced some parts and secured packaging and paid for shipping of those parts / materials for B2. Most of that cannot be returned, so we’d have to refund B2, and we’d have a bunch of unused parts sitting around that would have to go to recycling.

Thus We’re left with a list of bad options, and not much room to maneuver. Unfortunately, most of this is due to circumstances we couldn’t have planned for. What would have been a simple Kickstarter + Web order 2-batch production run turned into a logistical nightmare as the global manufacturing systems attempt to recover from COVID-19.

Of those choices, Option 2 appears to be the most appealing, and minimizes our losses, while still delivering Winter One to you. There are some risks, but no more than with Batch 1, when our selected manufacturers were new to the process. There might be slight delays on our timeline, but we’re still trying to get B2 out by the end of the year.

As I’ve said before, B2 will be the last batch. It doesn’t make sense to build this product at today’s aluminum prices, and current manufacturing costs. I know a lot of people had reservations about the cost, but there was genuinely not a ton of margin in this product.

Had it been designed today, there are a lot of decisions we would have made differently, going for the safety of higher margins, and lower manufacturing costs, different materials, and different finishes. It would have been a compromise on our vision for Winter One, and would have lacked the sheer excess that First Edition W1 had, but would have been a profitable product.

----------

sucks to hear that your project has to be put on hold for now. I appreciate the transparency when it comes to your supply chain issues. Especially since I’m a logistics and supply chain management major. Love talking about that kind of stuff.

dudeperm87

Caliper Novice
Mar 10, 2019
Thank your for the update! I would be willing to add the difference in manufacturing cost on top. Don’t know if that is an option for anyone else thou.

Reactions: riba2233

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
I'm not involved in that I don't have an order at stake but I would go with option 2, less loss, wrap this up and maybe work on a new project, build relationship with manufactures for a future project. Basically finish this run, have more money for future stuff and have those connections for future things if this run goes well. Maybe sell me a power switch if you have any extra by the end of this. Even Dan for the C4 is considering internals being steel for ease of painting. Crazy times.

Reactions: robojim

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I'm not involved in that I don't have an order at stake but I would go with option 2, less loss, wrap this up and maybe work on a new project, build relationship with manufactures for a future project. Basically finish this run, have more money for future stuff and have those connections for future things if this run goes well. Maybe sell me a power switch if you have any extra by the end of this. Even Dan for the C4 is considering internals being steel for ease of painting. Crazy times.

We already decided to move forward with Option 2, (first paragraph of the update).

And yeah, materials pricing and manufacturing difficulties are an utter nightmare right now. Global shipping costs are crazy. If I was designing Winter One today, the material selection would be very different.

Reactions: rifter

dudeperm87

Caliper Novice
Mar 10, 2019
Thank you for going through with delivering the case at all!

Will the shortcomings of the first batch still be addressed?

Does the change of manufacturers bring new challenges to quality control?