Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

srekal34

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2019
That is the plan, eventually. One issue I have right now Is waiting for water blocks and stuff to arrive, as I plan to water cool my own build for exactly this reason.
I would suggest you build in o11d mini with the same components to give a real comparison. Both for positive pressure with no exhaust fans. The case is cheap so it shouldnt be a problem.
O11d and its derivatives are known for not so great temperatures so you should shine as well.

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020

What Happens After Batch 2?

After Batch 2, Winter Design will take a hiatus to work on new ideas. In the future, we'll design our cases around lower prices, while still delivering the quality we are known for.

As always, we’re incredibly thankful to everyone who has supported us. All of your feedback, support, and comments have been awesome, and enabled us to make an incredible SFFPC case.
Keep that key switch power button. I would love to see a future case with that feature and I was impressed by the amount of work you put into the testing.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019

Update #26 - Batch 1 and 2 Updates and More!

Switching to Bi-Weekly Updates​

As things have slowed down a bit, we’re going to be switching to bi-weekly updates. Relaxing the update schedule allows us to spend the time finalizing the remaining B1 shipments, and getting B2 production sorted out.

B1 Updates:​

Batch 1's remakes had some QC issues that we are sorting out as we get the remade parts in house. We expect these parts to arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Here are some pictures of the incoming parts after QC2. (Please note, these are pre-cleaning) We're awaiting their arrival at this time.

End Plates
Rear Panels

Shipping System Update​

For international packages, we have moved from UPS to DHL after some of our users had a poor experience. We take that feedback very seriously and have made the change primarily for customer support reasons.

We will still be using UPS in the United States because their domestic shipping is very good.

B2 Update​

We’ve begun quoting for B2 and have started supplier / factory negotiations. We’re going to be balancing timelines and costs as we do this. Once these steps are complete, expect us to have more concrete timelines for Batch 2.

Accessories Update​

Once we have supplier pricing negotiated, we’ll be able to list some accessories and extras on the store at prices that are reasonable. Accessory orders will either be rolled in with existing B2 orders or purchased as standalone pieces.

Batch 1 B-Stock​

Batch 1 B-stock and spares will be listed after we’ve sorted out all outstanding support tickets and orders.

Batch 2 Extras / B-stock​

Batch 2 extras and B-stock will be listed after B2 is delivered, later this year.

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
What water-blocked GPUs have people managed to fit with two radiators installed? It just occurred to me that all of the options I was looking at are too tall according to the spec (Tuf, Strix, FTW3, etc).

srekal34

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2019
It's worth to mention it's not W1 fault. Almost all non-reference RTX 3000 are just too tall to be watercooled in SFF. Even for 3090FE you can only watercool with EK/Bitspower blocks. Bykski/Corsair with traditional layout will be too tall.

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
It's worth to mention it's not W1 fault. Almost all non-reference RTX 3000 are just too tall to be watercooled in SFF. Even for 3090FE you can only watercool with EK/Bitspower blocks. Bykski/Corsair with traditional layout will be too tall.
Case design was clearly laid out, I just didn't stop to think about it. I suppose one could do something bananas like use tx240s and a12x15s to get comfortable clearance for bigger cards and sfx-l supplies.

Reactions: WinterCharm

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
What water-blocked GPUs have people managed to fit with two radiators installed? It just occurred to me that all of the options I was looking at are too tall according to the spec (Tuf, Strix, FTW3, etc).

Reference and FE boards are the safest for any sort of GPU water cooling. Try and look for waterblocks that have ports toward the rear. These cards are unusually tall... however most of the 3080's have reasonably sized blocks.

The waterblocks I've seen work well in most builds are the EK and Bykski blocks because they have ports toward the rear.
The other route you can go is a bottom 280 and top 140, leaving room for the GPU block ports.

Remember a 280mm radiator is similar to a 360mm radiator in cooling capacity... so a 140mm radiator is half a 360mm radiator... so it *is* possible to accommodate larger / taller blocks, *without* having to resort to silly things like a tx240, and still come out with *better* temperatures than a dual 240mm setup.

A bottom 140 + top 280 can be used to accommodate a D5 pump in the bottom. A Top 140 + bottom 280 can be used to get around the very tall cooling ports on some 3090 water blocks, as it gives you 30mm extra clearance on the GPU height. (or 55mm if you choose to not put a fan in that spot, as well).

Winter One's cooling setup is *extremely* flexible, and people still have not realized how good 140 / 280mm radiators can be, when used properly.

Last edited:

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
Reference and FE boards are the safest for any sort of GPU water cooling. Try and look for waterblocks that have ports toward the rear. These cards are unusually tall... however most of the 3080's have reasonably sized blocks.

The waterblocks I've seen work well in most builds are the EK and Bykski blocks because they have ports toward the rear.
The other route you can go is a bottom 280 and top 140, leaving room for the GPU block ports.

Remember a 280mm radiator is similar to a 360mm radiator in cooling capacity... so a 140mm radiator is half a 360mm radiator... so it *is* possible to accommodate larger / taller blocks, *without* having to resort to silly things like a tx240, and still come out with *better* temperatures than a dual 240mm setup.

A bottom 140 + top 280 can be used to accommodate a D5 pump in the bottom. A Top 140 + bottom 280 can be used to get around the very tall cooling ports on some 3090 water blocks, as it gives you 30mm extra clearance on the GPU height. (or 55mm if you choose to not put a fan in that spot, as well).

Winter One's cooling setup is *extremely* flexible, and people still have not realized how good 140 / 280mm radiators can be, when used properly.
The arrangement is certainly flexible enough to make something work. Honestly though, since I'm in batch 2 and likely won't see the case until the end of the year anyway, I'll probably just hold onto the Winter One until next gen. Part availability/choice should be all sorted by then anyway. I don't want to spend months in this climate hunting for a specific model of a phantom.

smalltownboi

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
Has anyone tried a vtx with the FE GPUs?

It's a couple of mm more than the distance between the spine and the side panel. Hoping that a little part of the width could go under the spine.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Another Mini Update -

• Some boxes shipped out today, the rest will be shipping by the end of the week. This will close out Batch 1
  • Batch 2 is now in Production Planning. I'll be pretty busy this week as I hammer out the Supply Chain and get things ready.
  • Accessory store will open up This Weekend, and those orders will be produced alongside B2.
  • IF you have an existing B2 order, there will be a "Add to my B2 Order" $5 shipping option (to cover the additional weight + packaging), and we'll package everything together into a single shipment. Grouping things together should save people considerable money on shipping charges.
  • We're thinking of running a Group Buy for Windowed Panels for B1 Black and B2 Silver cases... This will *not* be cheap, and if we don't have the order volume we cannot really run these. I'm setting the MoQ for those to 35 orders per color. (I want to run them for Black and Silver Cases, out of fairness to all early buyers)
  • These are an extra panel option. Due to order volumes, we cannot replace existing panel choices with the windowed panel. Main reason being Aluminum costs have already backed us into a bit of a corner here... If we cut quantities of solid / perf panels by 35% and then run a third panel type at low quantities, the costs would be massive. Instead, we're doing a single low quantity run of the windowed option, and keeping the existing volumes of solid / perf panels where they are.

Have a look at this concept:

The Window consists of two pieces - a cast acrylic center, with some light machining to mount to the aluminum frame, and of course, our signature machined, satin bead blast, anodized aluminum frame that slides into the side panel recess.

Why Cast Acrylic? We wanted something robust and optically clear. In thick sheets, Cast Acrylic is very strong. Tempered glass is out of the question, as it cannot be easily mounted seamlessly in a frame like this, and sourcing and shipping it incurs ridiculous costs due to the fragility, and our packaging was not designed for it.

On the other hand, when done properly, Cast Acrylic is strong, clear, and beautiful (See the Rama chess set, for example). Pricing is TBD right now.

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
How does the shipping notification come in? Is it by email?

Correct! All of Batch 1 is now packed and ready to ship at this point... I'm just generating labels. Expect emails later today! :D

Some of it shipped out earlier this week, but I had a lot on my plate this week so some of those orders had to wait.

Also...

WINDOWED PANEL GROUP BUY IS OPEN >>>> https://www.winterdesign.co/buy