Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Looks like some legit feedback. I would ignore the comments if I was the creator though. Lots of salty 12 year olds it seems.
Yup!

Stuff we've also already acknowledged and are addressing with some tweaks to B2. I'll have a full post responding to the review later in the week. I do wish he'd build a loop in it, but I understand that his schedule is really busy, and he might not have the time.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I do wish he'd build a loop in it, but I understand that his schedule is really busy, and he might not have the time.
this is just my inference of his comments in the video, also factor in previous videos and builds - he can't be bothered to do a full custom loop because W1 does not make his shortlist of potential housing for his permanent build
  • M1 and T1 were housing his main build for certain time period - multiple videos, multiple loops with different components and upgrades
  • Meshlicious was a main build candidate - couple of videos and 1 bad ass hardline loop
  • C4 is going to get loop only because it's so similar to the M1 that I think that he thinks it can be a replacement/sidegrade, plus the temps in his testing were not really satisfactory so he wants to try dual 280-rad.
  • W1 not even in the list due to various reasons listed out in the video - majority of which you're addressing in B2. But IMO his biggest issue is the visual of the vent holes. The side panel is the first thing you look at when the case is on the desk and if it's not catching your eyes then that's that. And now the price tag comes in again as that set the initial expectation so high that when the case is not perfect the letdown is real.
hopefully you can keep improving the case with later batches and revisions. W1 is on the right track, just need to keep moving forward

smalltownboi

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
I have yet to receive mine, but this does not bode well. The panel fitment and anodizing issues seem pretty substantial, and the slop in the GPU is surprising. For the first time, I'm second-guessing backing this project.
Yes. I’d rather have mine shipped in the second batch. I don’t want my gpu hanging off the pci-e slot.

Reactions: Shinken1

Kundahli

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 29, 2017
I wish this case was more optimized for air cooling. Too many watercooling focused cases in ITX market these days.

I agree with this. It is unfortunate that there was no solid side panel build tested in this review. One of the major selling points of this case for me was the ability to keep enthusiast parts cool with minimal noise when using the solid panel option.

Reactions: Petzaa and August

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
I agree with this. It is unfortunate that there was no solid side panel build tested in this review. One of the major selling points of this case for me was the ability to keep enthusiast parts cool with minimal noise when using the solid panel option.
Think the SPK will change that equation for users of the case but it seems like it will come at a high cost too

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
The side panel is the first thing you look at when the case is on the desk and if it's not catching your eyes then that's that. And now the price tag comes in again as that set the initial expectation so high that when the case is not perfect the letdown is real.

If I would have been getting this case, I would definitely go with silver plus solid side panels. The chimney airflow seems sufficient for the dual 280 custom loop setup.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
If I would have been getting this case, I would definitely go with silver plus solid side panels. The chimney airflow seems sufficient for the dual 280 custom loop setup.
well I asked for glass side panels as an option / stretch goal during the KS campaign, would have been neat since most SFF cases NEED perforated side panels whereas the W1 really doesn't

Reactions: morj

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
well I asked for glass side panels as an option / stretch goal during the KS campaign, would have been neat since most SFF cases NEED perforated side panels whereas the W1 really doesn't

Yeah, I'm really sad I missed out on the Circle Pro case (especially since we have watercooled RTX 3080 with length under 210mm), @CircleTect did the glass side panels thing extremely well. Would be interesting to see some glass side panel implementation in the Winter One too.

Neptimus7

Caliper Novice
Mar 16, 2020
It's still the only SFF case with dual-radiator support out there so 🤷‍♂️
Edit: (legitimately) thanks for the corrections people. I should have specified dual 280 rads.

Also seems like the issues are entirely due to the manufacturing process. Given that this is an entirely new supply chain I'm honestly surprised more people haven't mentioned similar issues (in fact, has anybody mentioned similar issues yet?).

Last edited:

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020

Also seems like the issues are entirely due to the manufacturing process. Given that this is an entirely new supply chain I'm honestly surprised more people haven't mentioned similar issues (in fact, has anybody mentioned similar issues yet?).
DAN C4 probably would fit 2 rads

Reactions: Neptimus7

baevid

Chassis Packer
Dec 24, 2020
Of course, this case ticks all the boxes I want but if QC is subpar, then it makes it less worth the price it demands. It should be near perfect with the anodizing color match, gpu slot fitting, panel rattle, etc.

zk2004mb

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2020

It's the most elegant solution for dual rads but definitely not the only one. You can do 2 rads in Ncase m1 without any modification. You can even do 1x280 and 2x240 in NR200 with some effort.

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
It's the most elegant solution for dual rads but definitely not the only one. You can do 2 rads in Ncase m1 without any modification. You can even do 1x280 and 2x240 in NR200 with some effort.
I used to think the same thing which led me to give up on sff. I will gladly further explain to anyone, in PMs, what's wrong with custom loops in those cases if it helps save them from wasting their $$ on buyers regret.

AP2

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 1, 2017
I’m seriously having buyers regret after seeing the the OT video. So far my experience with this Kickstarter has not been great.

Sold my T1 cause I was told my case would ship 2nd week of April, but that didn’t happen. Then I was told it was going to ship the following week.., well that never happened. Then parts were lost by the courier to complete the rest of batch 1. At this point I have no idea when I will get the case.

ChorizoNinja

Average Stuffer
Jan 12, 2020
The only problems I have with my case are the io plate not compressing the rear io of the gpu correctly (and is a little bit damage, corner has small damage) and that I needed to solder the switch to turn on again, not biggie, as I wanted to braid it. The anodising of my panels is spot on.

Building the loop was the easy part, and the performance is stupid good. For me the only thing that could potentially be improved was ram temps in highly binned b-die sticks at stupid voltage (some of them are going for 1.55v now). Yes, you can raise the Artic P14 of the case to 1200-1400 rpm and have the problem solved as then the sticks will be under 50 C, but that create unwanted noise.

If you have 2 HWL 280 gts with the ports facing to the io shield of the mobo and gpu, and artic p14, you can use this, with 2 noctua na4x20.

With this I have my 3090 pumping 400W, my ryzen 5950x pumping 140W total package, having the temps of the GPU under 60 C, the CPU under 75C on the hotspot (voltage while gaming and streaming is 1.138V, with some jumps to 1.325V, which creates the max temps using CTR), and the RAM around 45C, all of it while running my DDC pump at 1700 rpm, my fans around 950 rpm for the radiators and the 2 small noctua at 2500 rpm out of 5000 rpm, so it is pretty much silent.

As a comparison, my gsync ultimate display has a fan that makes more noise than the whole computer, and you can barely notice it already.

As a last note, if your motherboard has an m.2 on the back, I would recommend putting a small 3mm heatsink on that boy. Not strictly needed, but specially if you have a 3090, it will reduce your temps for that drive around 10-15C while gaming.

After building custom loops in the NCASE, Louqe Ghost and this one, I would take this any day.