Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
Finally got around to post the pictures of the building process.

Album

Building in the case was really simple, however cable management was tougher than in other cases due to the lack of places to tuck cables behind. But with a bunch of strips it worked out nice in the end.
For some reason the GPU bracket does not really stay in place, maybe I did something wrong here.

I also stole the PCIe riser cable from my Ghost S1 ;)
Nice work man! Not to be a debby downer but you might find cpu thermals are slightly improved having the heat fins vertically (others will correct me if I am wrong I'm sure).

Giving me the hype to post mine! Especially with some of the errors I made...

Reactions: Petzaa

Petzaa

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 14, 2021
Nice work man! Not to be a debby downer but you might find cpu thermals are slightly improved having the heat fins vertically (others will correct me if I am wrong I'm sure).

Giving me the hype to post mine! Especially with some of the errors I made...
I actually thought that it would be better as you said, but didn't know how to turn it :) Maybe I should try again.

awcw121

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 28, 2021
I actually thought that it would be better as you said, but didn't know how to turn it :) Maybe I should try again.

Sweet build pics! I might suggest the same as above too, coming from the same sort of build...

The L12S should fit with the fins vertically if you run the heatpipes' bends over the IO shield instead of over the M.2 heatsink. Something like this:

Having not tested the L12S with the fins horizontal, I can't compare temps. But I know that I usually run around mid 50s C at idle and 75 C under heavy gaming load with the vertical orientation.

Petzaa

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 14, 2021
Sweet build pics! I might suggest the same as above too, coming from the same sort of build...

The L12S should fit with the fins vertically if you run the heatpipes' bends over the IO shield instead of over the M.2 heatsink. Something like this:

Having not tested the L12S with the fins horizontal, I can't compare temps. But I know that I usually run around mid 50s C at idle and 75 C under heavy gaming load with the vertical orientation.
Ok, I went back and reoriented the CPU cooler (turns out it helps to read the manual haha :D). The temperature difference for a 30 min run in Blender is 1-2 degC. Now take this result with a grain of salt as I didn't measure the ambient.

However the cooling performance in this case is insane! Very well done @WinterCharm. Definately worth every penny!
Running Blender for 30 mins, and the fans are barely audible and keeping a temperature of ~60 degC above ambient. Wow :)

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Also, due to the way the heatpipes work, having the bend at the top is supposed to negatively affect heat conductivity. Noctua has this on their website

It's not always going to make a huge difference and I think the airflow in W1 could overcome it with brute force CFM lol

doot4runner

Caliper Novice
Jan 22, 2020
Finally got around to post the pictures of the building process.

Album

Building in the case was really simple, however cable management was tougher than in other cases due to the lack of places to tuck cables behind. But with a bunch of strips it worked out nice in the end.
For some reason the GPU bracket does not really stay in place, maybe I did something wrong here.

I also stole the PCIe riser cable from my Ghost S1 ;)
I found the same thing with my PCIE cover. I just am running without it.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I finally carved out the time to convert my NR200 build into the Winter One. It only took 3 weeks...

Here are some build pics (spoilers)

A big thank you to Fouzan and everyone behind the Winter One team. Knowing how much engineering went into this case was more than enough to support the project. Seeing it in person, this is genuinely a work of art.
Now compare the thermals, and you'll understand why I spent so much time on the engineering part.

I keep saying this, but as much as the build quality and finish is nice, and the case looks good, it's the thermals and noise that make this case a cut above the rest. :)

The build is beautiful, by the way. I really like how you documented the steps, and took some pictures of the ending setup. Also you have great taste in mice and keyboards.

It's a flaw that we overlooked. The current fix is a tiny square of 2 sided tape on the bottom tab. We're working on a better fix but it'll require some minor tweaks to the rear panel and the PCIE slot cover.

Last edited:

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
I finally carved out the time to convert my NR200 build into the Winter One. It only took 3 weeks...

Here are some build pics (spoilers)

A big thank you to Fouzan and everyone behind the Winter One team. Knowing how much engineering went into this case was more than enough to support the project. Seeing it in person, this is genuinely a work of art.
Nice views from the desk too

ebolamonkey3

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2021
Oh man I'm really close on pulling the trigger. Stuck on the solid panel vs. perforated panel. Will we be able to order the panel separately later? What's the temp difference of running an air cooled build with solid panel vs perforated?

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Oh man I'm really close on pulling the trigger. Stuck on the solid panel vs. perforated panel. Will we be able to order the panel separately later? What's the temp difference of running an air cooled build with solid panel vs perforated?

Air cooled solid vs perforated benchmarks will be up with tomorrow's update. :) (5950X + 3090FE for both systems)

cennis

Average Stuffer
Jan 13, 2020
What is the maximum GPU height (i.e. from PCI-E finger to the highest point of the terminal manifold) with 30mm rad + 25mm fan mounted on the top? Would the 3080 FTW3 work? Seems to be ~165mm tall with the waterblock.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Update #22 - Batch 1 Update, Batch 2 Information

--------------------------------------------------

Hello, everyone. Sorry this update ended up taking a bit longer than planned because we were in the middle of an incredibly busy week.

A Missing Shipment!?​

• The last shipment did not arrive this week as we were expecting. It was lost in transit, and we’re working with our manufacturing partner to figure out what went wrong.
  • This is delaying the shipment of the last 20 cases in Batch 1
  • We are working closely with our supply chain to find a solution. Worst case scenario, we’ll re-run the missing parts.
  • The timeline for this delay is not known yet, but we’ll keep you updated as much as possible.

Solid vs Perforated Panels - Benchmarked in an Air Cooled Case​

• A few of you reached out to us asking about solid vs perforated panel benchmarks for an air cooled build.
  • Below are the benchmarks we ran in-house at stock and PBO / GPU OC settings.
  • These are directly comparable to other benchmarks we’ve released in the past.

An Upcoming Review...​

• The Review Unit has shipped to Optimum Tech!
  • Expect a review in the next few weeks (can’t speak for OT’s schedule)
  • To ensure the store stays up after the review goes live, we’re extending the deadline of Batch 2 orders to June 14th

PCIE 4.0 Riser Upgrades​

• Those of you who’ve sent in a request for a Riser Upgrade, I should have responded to all of them by now.
  • The deadline for this upgrade has been extended to June 14th to reflect the changes to Batch 2 online orders.

Batch 2 Information​

• We’re very close to exceeding the MOQ on Batch 2
  • Metal Prices Peaked a few weeks ago, and are now dropping
  • Batch 2 Production Planning Will Commence shortly after orders close!
--------------

That's all for now. We'll continue to keep everyone posted as regularly as possible.

PS: @ebolamonkey3 these are the benchmarks you were asking for :)

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
What is the maximum GPU height (i.e. from PCI-E finger to the highest point of the terminal manifold) with 30mm rad + 25mm fan mounted on the top? Would the 3080 FTW3 work? Seems to be ~165mm tall with the waterblock.

This is in the compatibility chart https://www.winterdesign.co/part-compatibility the maximum allowable height, including terminals on a GPU waterblock is 141mm if you have 30mm radiators + 25mm fans in there.

The air cooled GPU height is technically a bit more, since removing radiators gives you a bit more room.