Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
This being first run, even with beta testers, i was anticipating some issues. But, you can tell the quality and attention to detail that went into this case. im really looking forward to getting the rest of it together once my parts arrive.

gelbetron

Caliper Novice
Sep 18, 2020
This being first run, even with beta testers, i was anticipating some issues. But, you can tell the quality and attention to detail that went into this case. im really looking forward to getting the rest of it together once my parts arrive.
There was a reason my review of the beta case was basically all positives. Not that there weren't issues, but wintercharm was so on top of listening to feedback and listing out/executing fixes that I didn't feel it was fair to put him on blast. Plus, he himself openly discussed all the issues the beta testers found here and the KS page anyway

Reactions: Qzrx and mxj1

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
I'm
There was a reason my review of the beta case was basically all positives. Not that there weren't issues, but wintercharm was so on top of listening to feedback and listing out/executing fixes that I didn't feel it was fair to put him on blast. Plus, he himself openly discussed all the issues the beta testers found here and the KS page anyway
I'm receiving the exact same experience.

I have no regrets about spending $400+ on this case.

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Just wait until you're running benchmarks. That's when Beta testers started freaking out.

Optimus arrived - like a match made in heaven.

The fans in the background pretty much mean that I could put this thing in an oven and still have good temps lol

I've got a flat copper heatspreader on the way for the 10900k. When it gets here, I'm going to swap in the apogee and see how it performs without the mora.

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
FYI for those receiving the first wave of cases. There's a kinda-sorta issue with an easy fix.

The standoff included is approx. 4mm OD and the standard appears to be 5.5mm (confirmed by measuring available NCase and 011D). The OD was small enough to fit through the asus strix x570-i screw holes leading to board flexing.

The fastest solution is to apply pressure against the rear panel ports while tightening the screws. This will create a misalignment and allow one side of the standoff and screw to clamp the mobo.

If you have M3 nylon washers available, then use those instead. If you are still waiting for your case, then I recommend ordering M3 nylon washers with <10mm OD.

Last edited:

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
FYI for those receiving the first wave of cases. There's a kinda-sorta issue with an easy fix.

The standoff included is approx. 4mm OD and the standard appears to be 5.5mm (confirmed by measuring available NCase and 011D). The OD was small enough to fit through the asus strix x570-i screw holes leading to board flexing.

The fastest solution is to consistently apply pressure against the rear panel ports while tightening the screws. This will create a misalignment and allow one side of the standoff and screw to clamp the mobo.

If you have M3 nylon washers available, then use those instead. If you are still waiting for your case, then I recommend ordering M3 nylon washers with <10mm OD.
I experienced the same on the z490i strix. For me this caused a small issue with the io not lining up.

I used stone stainless m3 washers I had available to prevent the standoff from passing through the board. The motherboard has grounding traces at the standoffs, so this should be fine.

*My stainless washers are most likely from Lowe's.

To make adding the washers easier I cut the heads off of flour m3 screws to create studs. Then installed the washers and motherboard over the studs. One by one I removed the studs and install the screws.

... My hands are way too big to stumble around with those tiny washers...

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Quick word about the standoffs issue.

Thanks to @mxj1 and @Post-Newt I was informed of this rather quickly. I'm aware of the issue, and that this needs to be addressed, and we are going to address it.

---------------

Here's how we're going to mitigate this:
If this issue affects your motherboard and your case has already shipped, please reach out to us. We'll dispatch some nylon spacers to you.
They will fit around your standoffs and hold your motherboard up, allowing you to secure it. To start this process:

1. Take a picture of your rear panel serial number
2. Take a picture of the issue
3. Send them to the support email on the card that came with your case.

If your case has not shipped yet, don't worry. we will be including the spacers in the box for all shipments affected by this issue (all Kickstarter ordres).

---------------

How did this happen?
Based on the mini ITX addendum to the ATX specifications the callout on page 9 for 0.16 inch diameter through-holes in a mini ITX motherboard is 4mm. This is why we chose 4.2mm OD standoffs. If the motherboard is correctly specced, the standoffs should work without any issues, and have the least chance to interfere with a lot of the chonky backplates that have been appearing lately.

However, it appears that more and more manufacturers are starting to lightly ignore the specifications. (GN did a piece on this with regard to the E-ATX standard). We've been using 4.2mm OD spacers for the entire beta test and this issue never showed up. And we don't have the resources to test every single motherboard out there.

---------------------

I'm really sorry this slipped through. Both Kickstarter batches appear to be affected by this issue (we've already made central spines for all cases, Batches 1 and 2), and we're going to do our best to make it right. Another announcement will be made in this week's Kickstarter Update, but I wanted to put word out here as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
Quick word about the standoffs issue.

Thanks to @mxj1 and @Post-Newt I was informed of this rather quickly. I'm aware of the issue, and that this needs to be addressed, and we are going to address it.

---------------

Here's how we're going to mitigate this:
If this issue affects your motherboard, please reach out to us. We'll dispatch some nylon spacers to you.
They will fit around your standoffs and hold your motherboard up, allowing you to secure it. To start this process:

1. Take a picture of your rear panel serial number
2. Take a picture of the issue
3. Send them to the support email on the card that came with your case.

Hi, I have the same motherboard as post, so I will encounter the same problems. I live in France and I don't want to bring washers from the USA to fix this little problem. Please tell me exactly what I should buy. I guess I'll understand better what's going on when I get the case. Thanks to
Hi,
I have the same motherboard as Post-Newt , so I will encounter the same problems. I live in France and I don't want to bring washers from the USA to fix this little problem. Please tell me exactly what I should buy. I guess I'll understand better what's going on when I get the case. Thanks to you guys :)

Which one ?

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Hi,
I have the same motherboard as Post-Newt , so I will encounter the same problems. I live in France and I don't want to bring washers from the USA to fix this little problem. Please tell me exactly what I should buy. I guess I'll understand better what's going on when I get the case. Thanks to you guys :)

Which one ?

The spacer you need // spacer we will be sending out, will have the following measurements:

• Inside Diameter: 4.34mm (0.171 inch) (Acceptable range: 4.25 - 4.5mm)
  • Outside Diameter: 6.35mm (0.25 inch) (Acceptable range: 5.5 - 7.5mm)
  • Length: 6.35mm (0.25 inch) (Acceptable Range: 6.25-6.45)
Acceptable Ranges are noted to make it easier to source metric spacers, as much of the mITX / ATX specification is written in Imperial standards, forcing our horrible unit system on the rest of you. o__o

This will perfectly match the length of the standoffs (which are 6.35mm as the mITX / ATX specifications dictate) on the spine. You will need 4 of these for the motherboard side if you have this issue.

We will be including 4 of these with every single case that has an affected central spine (All of the Kickstarter Batch). If your case has already shipped and you have this issue, please reach out to us and we will get you some of these. If you don't have this issue, currently, but upgrade to a new motherboard in the future, and then have this issue, reach out to us at that time. 10 year warranty isn't just for show. :)

Note: measurements are in the image below are using the Imperial System (inches) (Not SI, which is EXTREMELY annoying)

Last edited: