Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

kodek

Caliper Novice
Nov 11, 2020

2x EK torque rotary 90° vs 2x Barrow rotary 90° - only 5mm difference in height (31.5mm vs 26.5mm without thread) but this could actually make a difference since there is 57mm clearance for radiator + fans in the W1 spec. (HWL GTS 280 is 29.6mm high so with barrow fittings it adds up to 56.1mm). I went with barrow's rotary ones instead of static because it will be much easier to work with them and it should perfectly fit. Also I don't need to buy more than I need to find the one with correct angle.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
2x EK torque rotary 90° vs 2x Barrow rotary 90° - only 5mm difference in height (31.5mm vs 26.5mm without thread) but this could actually make a difference since there is 57mm clearance for radiator + fans in the W1 spec. (HWL GTS 280 is 29.6mm high so with barrow fittings it adds up to 56.1mm). I went with barrow's rotary ones instead of static because it will be much easier to work with them and it should perfectly fit. Also I don't need to buy more than I need to find the one with correct angle.
You inspired me so went and grabbed some spare parts. I just grabbed some old EK fittings and tried them on my 280 rad.

My intended rad isn't the "prefered" HWL 280 rad (GTS 280 - 312x153x29.6) but is a Bykski (B-RD280-TN - 310x142x29) as I could actually order them in October.

I like the dual 45 (assuming it fits with the power connector), its a much smoother flow so will likely make activities like bleeding easier.

Last edited:

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
Almost ready to rock n roll on this aquanaut vs. apogee vs. block test, but ran into a couple issues. First, apparently speedfan and the strix x570i don't play together well. Second, I can't find a way to log data and trend these tests. Now I'm really regretting not having a quadro. Appreciate any recommendations otherwise I'll probably wait until mine is delivered.

Have you been able to start your tests?

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
How do you insert photos directly in your posts, without using something like imgur?

Here's my plan for the psu cable.

Hardwarelabs L series and noctua chromax fans.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
How do you insert photos directly in your posts, without using something like imgur?

Here's my plan for the psu cable.

Hardwarelabs L series and noctua chromax fans.

How much does the fitting extend past the radiator, will it hit the case side? The HWLabs rads have ports further from the center than my Bykski.

The pics are posts on imgur, then to embed, use the picture option (Ctrl+P) and put in the direct picture link (right click then open in a new tab in imgur to get the direct picture link). You can then resize in the post.

Loving the all black.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHudacris

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
How much does the fitting extend past the radiator, will it hit the case side? The HWLabs rads have ports further from the center than my Bykski.

The pics are posts on imgur, then to embed, use the picture option (Ctrl+P) and put in the direct picture link (right click then open in a new tab in imgur to get the direct picture link). You can then resize in the post.

Loving the all black.
My loose calculation tells me the combination is less than the 155 mm max width for radiator support - so I think it will fit. If the horizontal rotary does not fit, I'll use another stationary 90 to make that connection.

*sneak peek - not all black. 😄

If this doesn't work out, I'll find something that does.... I have a few spare fittings...

and thanks for the tip on inserting pictures!

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
I'm using 12 mm OD chrome tubing.

I had everything lined up for 14 mm OD, but made the switch in fear of routing clearances.

Reactions: Goatee

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
yeah... I really have way too many. There's some in there that I would just as much give away if someone wanted, because I won't ever use them. I've gathered them here and there over the last year or so, buying $20-$30 at a time.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
yeah... I really have way too many. There's some in there that I would just as much give away if someone wanted, because I won't ever use them. I've gathered them here and there over the last year or so, buying $20-$30 at a time.

I picked up a load more in the aliexpress sale in October. Bits power 90 male/female, female/female, extensions all around £1 each with free postage.

Ideal for SFF builds where you may need a lot of them.

Reactions: DrHudacris and mxj1

jupiterking

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 23, 2020
Out of curiosity, what's the dimension from the top of the case to the first hole in the perforated side panels? Curious of how much of the brown noctuas will be visible under my radiator.

smalltownboi

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
Ok, we Are just a couple of weeks away for the first batch to start shipping and I really wanted to wait until then.
And I know many of you have thought about this, don’t you think we ask @WinterCharm to create a distribution plate for the winter one for the front plate.
Curios to see what he can come up with.
What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: WinterCharm

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Ok, we Are just a couple of weeks away for the first batch to start shipping and I really wanted to wait until then.
And I know many of you have thought about this, don’t you think we ask @WinterCharm to create a distribution plate for the winter one for the front plate.
Curios to see what he can come up with.
What do you think?

Sounds like a cool idea for some... but I'm not a big fan of distro plates. I think that idea may also be lost on the customer base for this kind of case.

smalltownboi

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
Hmm.
I was still imagining the distro to be completely within the realms of the design language of the winter one.
Formd's render was something I was going by. Additionally if the back layer is made of copper, it could help in dissipating additional heat.

Still if many aren't looking for this to be under consideration, then it wouldn't make sense to pursue anymore.