Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

nikfloyd

Efficiency Noob
Jan 12, 2021
One thing to watch out for is the power inlet. Appears to be just below the GPU, and could conflict with the G1/4 extension? 😮
I made the same observation. But I don't know exactly where the power inlet is. Perhaps @WinterCharm could provide that info in CAD?

And yes, I'm going with the smaller EKWB ZMT 15.9/9.5. But with your loop suggestion I'm going to have to cross somewhere. For there needs to be 32mm from GPU block to the side panel and I don't know that yet either.

My quick observations, it appears that your flow through the GPU block is backwards. I'm also curios to see if you're able to account for the PSU plug at the rear of the case - it looks like your current fittings will collide with it.
That somewhat of a compromise that I'm not so sure about. Most of the GPU blocks I checked have the inlet towards the rear of the case. That means backwards in my projected loop. But EKWB, for the RTX 3080 RE at least, doesn't seem to prescribe a definitive way, but there is surely a preferred one. And in that case it is most surely backwards. If I can cross the tubes as @August suggested, I could switch the flow for the gpu.

Anyway, it is in flux. That was to have that kind of feedback that I posted. So thanks!

My thought process to this point in time:
- As @Post-Newt also found out, I'm not positive that there's clearance for the top rad outlet on top of the PSU. And perhaps that's me, but I'm not super keen to have a water fitting just over the PSU grill.
- For bleeding the loop, it seems to me that having both rads outlets on the same side would be preferable. So both rads oulets to the rear. Tilt the case on the front face for filling\bleeding.
- There's need for some leeway to open either the top or bottom sufficiently to remove the side panel for access.

Work in progress...

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
My quick observations, it appears that your flow through the GPU block is backwards. I'm also curious to see if you're able to account for the PSU plug at the rear of the case - it looks like your current fittings will collide with it.
Surprisingly, EK's blocks have relatively few ill effects from being run backwards!

Reactions: DrHudacris

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Surprisingly, EK's blocks have relatively few ill effects from being run backwards!

I've read that article. I've also tested this for myself with a different water block and can confirm the temperature differences are within a small margin of error.

However, OCD haunts me... And backwards is backwards. 😁

Oh, and this arrived yesterday:

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Something like this?

This is the shortest 90 degrees elbow I could find:
https://koolance.com/fitting-single-black-swiveling-elbow-low-profile
I loathe having to use low profile fittings b/c you have to get lucky with where the final position of the stem torques down or else you get a significant decrease in orifice and it's fairly easy to loosen those koolance fittings when messing with the tubing. Also doesn't feel right that such a spacious layout in this case for tubing runs would need a lot of fittings. I wonder if this kind of psu cable mod might help.

Reactions: Koxx5D

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
I loathe having to use low profile fittings b/c you have to get lucky with where the final position of the stem torques down or else you get a significant decrease in orifice and it's fairly easy to loosen those koolance fittings when messing with the tubing. Also doesn't feel right that such a spacious layout in this case for tubing runs would need a lot of fittings. I wonder if this kind of psu cable mod might help.
It’s a rotary of sorts; you tighten it down with that top screw after positioning the body of the fitting as needed.

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
Something like this?

This is the shortest 90 degrees elbow I could find:
https://koolance.com/fitting-single-black-swiveling-elbow-low-profile
A little warning regarding those Koolance fittings: the paint comes off black ones very easily, they stained my GPU block...
I'd buy a bunch of Barrow/Bykski non-rotary elbow fittings instead and find one which would face the right direction when screwed in. On AliExpress they cost like 1/8 of Koolance elbow fittings.

Last edited:
Reactions: mxj1

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
I've been successful in purchasing a bunch of these and trying different ones until I find one with the fitment that I want.
Agreed, or get a female to female and use a 3mm Spacer Extender Adapter. That then gives you 4 different thread options so you can find the right orientation.

Reactions: DrHudacris

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
My thought process to this point in time:
- As @Post-Newt also found out, I'm not positive that there's clearance for the top rad outlet on top of the PSU. And perhaps that's me, but I'm not super keen to have a water fitting just over the PSU grill.
I just rewatched the assembly video, and it appears as though SFX users may be able to flip the power supply bracket and move the psu further down, allowing for room to run a coolant line over the psu.

If there is, I'll definitely be going this route. If there is not, I think this would be a good QOL improvement in the future.

Reactions: WinterCharm

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
I just rewatched the assembly video, and it appears as though SFX users may be able to flip the power supply bracket and move the psu further down, allowing for room to run a coolant line over the psu.

If there is, I'll definitely be going this route. If there is not, I think this would be a good QOL improvement in the future.
I've been running water above PSUs for a few years now.

G23 Mr Gimp

Caliper Novice
Bronze Supporter
Sep 14, 2020
I've been thinking about the PSU inlet for a few days, and think having it oriented vertically and further toward the edge of the case, on the side that the PSU resides might be a neat QOL improvement. You could possibly run the PSU lead down the side of the fans / rad that way.

@Koxx5D , only reason I'm holding off on buying a 3090 FE is as I can't see a block that I would want to use as yet. Needs to be copper coldplate and acetal top for me.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Are we getting a weekly update this week?

Sorry to keep you waiting. 😅

Update #8 is Live!

Tl;Dr:
1. First Look at some Production Parts (pretty pictures!)
2. Production Stock Materials have been verified.
3. CMMs are dialed in. Minor corrections, where needed, have been applied. Parts are within tolerance. 😎
4. Build Manual is being written.

Here's a good look at part quality. 😍 -- There are a few more pictures in the update. Don't miss them!

So I'm planning to go AIO until the SPK is released, wondering what people's recs are for AIOs?

Almost any 240mm AIO will fit in Winter One. The Above-CPU clearance is 70-71mm, so even AIOs with taller tubing should fit without any problems. For convenience, consider going with an AIO that has rotatable outlets on the CPU block.

While waiting for parts, I took the opportunity to do a bit of loop planning. It will be my first water-cooled system (and first ITX...), so I decided to have a sanity check in Fusion with the .step files.

So here it is (dual GTS 280 - Alphacool Eisdecke D5 - EKWB RTX3080 RE block - TechN AM4 block - Asus X570-i MB - Generic SFX(L))

The loop : Bottom Rad > QSD / Temporay Res (filling-bleeding) > Pump > GPU >Top Rad > CPU > Bottom RAD

Rem.:
- The overall height (282mm) of the .step seems a little bit off. 2*57mm(rad+fan) + 170mm(MB) = 284mm and that is without any space for the riser
- It will be a tight fit around around the MB shrouds (IO and m2). Dual rot 45 fitting needed?. Or another MB altogether (that was the only one on Grabcad that seemed accurate enough). Other parts dimensions should be accurate.
- The support beam in the .step is in 3 parts (2 are mostly overlapping)
- The MB and GPU alignment width-wise, I'm not so sure about (limits correspond to back-plates? or the board itself)
- Idem for the GPU height-wise...

Since I'm a noob, I'm certainly missing something evident.
Thoughts?

CPU SIDE:

GPU SIDE:

You may call yourself a watercooling noob, but you did an amazing job of planning out this loop! As for your question about tolerances and the STEP files being slightly off, as noted in readme.txt these files are not going to be exact, due to tolerances, and being an approximation of the space in Winter One. However, they will get you very close, and if you're within the bounds of the "boxes" your loop should be okay. :)

Beautifully planned. Just mind the power cord. It's centered to the Slot #2 tab at the bottom of the GPU.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but can the Mini DTX Crosshair VIII Impact be supported if I were to only use 25mm fans at the bottom?

Sadly, No.
1. The Add-in Card that contains M.2 slots is too tall, and will interfere with the side panel.
2. It will throw off riser cable attachment by a considerable margin, as the riser would need to be longer than it currently is.

While moving the PSU lower isn't an option in the case, there is about 2 cm of room above the PSU before you hit a fan / radiator. You should be able to cheekily route some G1/4 tubing through there 😉

Edit: It was pointed out to me that one could rotate the PSU bracket by 180 degrees, to lower an SFX power supply. That would totally work.

Last edited:

lukeni

Chassis Packer
Nov 13, 2020
Sorry to keep you waiting. 😅

Update #8 is Live!

Tl;Dr:
1. First Look at some Production Parts (pretty pictures!)
2. Production Stock Materials have been verified.
3. CMMs are dialed in. Minor corrections, where needed, have been applied. Parts are within tolerance. 😎
4. Build Manual is being written.

Here's a good look at part quality. 😍 -- There are a few more pictures in the update. Don't miss them!

Almost any 240mm AIO will fit in Winter One. The Above-CPU clearance is 70-71mm, so even AIOs with taller tubing should fit without any problems. For convenience, consider going with an AIO that has rotatable outlets on the CPU block.

You may call yourself a watercooling noob, but you did an amazing job of planning out this loop! As for your question about tolerances and the STEP files being slightly off, as noted in readme.txt these files are not going to be exact, due to tolerances, and being an approximation of the space in Winter One. However, they will get you very close, and if you're within the bounds of the "boxes" your loop should be okay. :)

Beautifully planned. Just mind the power cord. It's centered to the Slot #2 tab at the bottom of the GPU.

Sadly, No.
1. The Add-in Card that contains M.2 slots is too tall, and will interfere with the side panel.
2. It will throw off riser cable attachment by a considerable margin, as the riser would need to be longer than it currently is.

While moving the PSU lower isn't an option in the case, there is about 2 cm of room above the PSU before you hit a fan / radiator. You should be able to cheekily route some G1/4 tubing through there 😉
Damn I am so looking forward to this, it is mine and I guess a lot of peoples first foray into the ITX watercooling space, and I am excited to see what we can all come up with. Got a lot of things on the shopping list but have yet to pull the trigger until my case is shipped.