Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
  • The Quadro/Octo operates independent of the base system, which means you could use it in isolation to test the loop without having to run the whole system. This can be very handy when cleaning the loop with the Mayhems Blitz Kit for example… Or when you need to watercool an eGPU. Additionally if you were to switch systems (say Intel to AMD etc.) or clear CMOS the whole setup can carry over without reconfiguration.
  • The Aquasuite app is ok, not too bad. It supports both soft and actual sensors meaning the fan speeds can be adjusted on a curve based on readings from actual hardware sensors, or HWINFO etc (note that the latter requires Windows to boot otherwise fans run at 100%).
  • Many ITX boards have fan headers all around the board but the Quadro/Octo being a dedicated device can actually help cable management by routing all fan cables to one place.
I would not build new systems without such a device.
Time to spend even more money...

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Almost ready to rock n roll on this aquanaut vs. apogee vs. block test, but ran into a couple issues. First, apparently speedfan and the strix x570i don't play together well. Second, I can't find a way to log data and trend these tests. Now I'm really regretting not having a quadro. Appreciate any recommendations otherwise I'll probably wait until mine is delivered.

Last edited:

gelbetron

Caliper Novice
Sep 18, 2020
Almost ready to rock n roll on this aquanaut vs. apogee vs. block test, but ran into a couple issues. First, apparently speedfan and the strix x570i don't play together well. Second, I can't find a way to log data and trend these tests. Now I'm really regretting not having a quadro. Appreciate any recommendations otherwise I'll probably wait until mine is delivered.

Hwinfo64 for logging data
Argus or FanControl for fan/pump control

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020

I second hwinfo - that's what I use along with Aquasuite.

For the fans, can you set the fan speed in the bios to a fixed speed, taking out any variable there?

Reactions: WinterCharm

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
I second hwinfo - that's what I use along with Aquasuite.

For the fans, can you set the fan speed in the bios to a fixed speed, taking out any variable there?
So that's the question. Do I fix fan speed or coolant temp? I feel like for the best test of a cpu block I should be fixing coolant temp.

nikfloyd

Efficiency Noob
Jan 12, 2021
While waiting for parts, I took the opportunity to do a bit of loop planning. It will be my first water-cooled system (and first ITX...), so I decided to have a sanity check in Fusion with the .step files.

So here it is (dual GTS 280 - Alphacool Eisdecke D5 - EKWB RTX3080 RE block - TechN AM4 block - Asus X570-i MB - Generic SFX(L))

The loop : Bottom Rad > QSD / Temporay Res (filling-bleeding) > Pump > GPU >Top Rad > CPU > Bottom RAD

Rem.:
- The overall height (282mm) of the .step seems a little bit off. 2*57mm(rad+fan) + 170mm(MB) = 284mm and that is without any space for the riser
- It will be a tight fit around around the MB shrouds (IO and m2). Dual rot 45 fitting needed?. Or another MB altogether (that was the only one on Grabcad that seemed accurate enough). Other parts dimensions should be accurate.
- The support beam in the .step is in 3 parts (2 are mostly overlapping)
- The MB and GPU alignment width-wise, I'm not so sure about (limits correspond to back-plates? or the board itself)
- Idem for the GPU height-wise...

Since I'm a noob, I'm certainly missing something evident.
Thoughts?

CPU SIDE:

GPU SIDE:

ckrueger99

Trash Compacter
Apr 19, 2020
While waiting for parts, I took the opportunity to do a bit of loop planning. It will be my first water-cooled system (and first ITX...), so I decided to have a sanity check in Fusion with the .step files.

So here it is (dual GTS 280 - Alphacool Eisdecke D5 - EKWB RTX3080 RE block - TechN AM4 block - Asus X570-i MB - Generic SFX(L))

The loop : Bottom Rad > QSD / Temporay Res (filling-bleeding) > Pump > GPU >Top Rad > CPU > Bottom RAD

Rem.:
- The overall height (282mm) of the .step seems a little bit off. 2*57mm(rad+fan) + 170mm(MB) = 284mm and that is without any space for the riser
- It will be a tight fit around around the MB shrouds (IO and m2). Dual rot 45 fitting needed?. Or another MB altogether (that was the only one on Grabcad that seemed accurate enough). Other parts dimensions should be accurate.
- The support beam in the .step is in 3 parts (2 are mostly overlapping)
- The MB and GPU alignment width-wise, I'm not so sure about (limits correspond to back-plates? or the board itself)
- Idem for the GPU height-wise...

Thoughts?

CPU SIDE:

GPU SIDE:

Wow! These are beautiful 3-D drawings. How did you do them?

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
What a great job! I was thinking about something like that, but it will depend on the waterblock of my graphics card.

Thanks for sharing, I have less trouble visualizing what I'm going to do.

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
I was originally planning to have top rad flipped other way with tubing run between fan and top of psu... After seeing that it looks like there might not be enough clearance. Curious if anyone knows whether it's possible to have top rad ports in the front.

nikfloyd

Efficiency Noob
Jan 12, 2021
Wow! These are beautiful 3-D drawings. How did you do them?
Thanks!
These are screen capture from CAD (Fusion 360)
@WinterCharm shared the .step file with the positions/clearances of the main parts.
Then I found most of CAD files on GrabCad, and modified if necessary for the correct dimensions.
AlphaCool has most of their stuff in CAD on their site also.
Then fitted all together...

Some more images on imgur

What a great job! I was thinking about something like that, but it will depend on the waterblock of my graphics card.

Thanks for sharing, I have less trouble visualizing what I'm going to do.
I was having trouble visualizing myself...
WB here is 220mm, but I'm not sure about it's exact position (block or GPU itself). But it is within more or less a 5mm margin

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Thoughts?

Disagree with the first part! 😉

One thing to watch out for is the power inlet. Appears to be just below the GPU, and could conflict with the G1/4 extension? 😮

Abstractly (if you're going with EPDM), I've found it significantly easier to make tubing runs "unnecessarily" long, so as to relieve strain on fittings, and give you a bit of extra length to work with. That might mean doing something like…

Top Rad > Pump > GPU In > Bottom Rad

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Thoughts?
These are awesome!

My quick observations, it appears that your flow through the GPU block is backwards. I'm also curious to see if you're able to account for the PSU plug at the rear of the case - it looks like your current fittings will collide with it.

Last edited: