Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
Finally, I ordered an Apogee II from PCS (without pump) for my AMD 5xxxx. The aquanaut is certainly very good, but the apogee is ...
Now I'm going to look at the J-Hack M2426. :cool:

Last edited:

rifter

Caliper Novice
Oct 26, 2017
it doesn't look bad but I don't know how to contact the seller. I tried this
I usually just buy things on taobao and ship them through superbuy. To talk to the seller you would have to use aliwangwang or the taobao phone app with your taobao account, which is possible through the magic of google, just rather clunky. Or you could pay 8~13% more and have an agent at superbuy or another service take care of the whole transaction for you.

Is there any info on how tall the whole thing is when assembled?
With a pump like the syscooling P67 ddc-alike installed it should be around 44mm, since another block they make based on a similar template is 24mm thick.

EDIT: I have also just noticed: any version of the waterblock that includes the pump is only suitable for syscooling sc-p67 (maybe the sc-p70 might fit, since it just looks like a beefier p67. I have not been able to verify this, though). The pump cavity shape is distinct from the laing ddc, and the pumps are not interchangeable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koxx5D

lukeni

Chassis Packer
Nov 13, 2020
Just bought the value pack of PWM Arctic P14's from Scan in the UK (They are in stock)!

Can't wait for this case now!

Ah so the struggle of deciding between buying the 5 pack for £30 or buying 3 more 140mm noctuas (already have one in current case) for double the price begins.

• Haha
Reactions: WinterCharm

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
Ah so the struggle of deciding between buying the 5 pack for £30 or buying 3 more 140mm noctuas (already have one in current case) for double the price begins.

Unfortunately for me I'm a tinkerer. Even if I watch 10 reviews saying there's pretty much no difference between Arctic P14's and Noctua Nf-A12x25's, am I still going to be tempted to buy them and see for myself? You best believe I will be. For now at least I can pretend I made a fiscally responsible choice....as long as you don't ask how much the case cost... :D

Also, Noctua are due to make a new version of the 140mm fan in 2021 (Q3-4?). That really put me off buying their current 140mm fan. Also final edit, Q1 says passive CPU cooler. Can't wait to find out if Noctua is the SPK partner with Winterone!

gelbetron

Caliper Novice
Sep 18, 2020
Unfortunately for me I'm a tinkerer. Even if I watch 10 reviews saying there's pretty much no difference between Arctic P14's and Noctua Nf-A12x25's, am I still going to be tempted to buy them and see for myself? You best believe I will be. For now at least I can pretend I made a fiscally responsible choice....as long as you don't ask how much the case cost... :D

Also, Noctua are due to make a new version of the 140mm fan in 2021 (Q3-4?). That really put me off buying their current 140mm fan. Also final edit, Q1 says passive CPU cooler. Can't wait to find out if Noctua is the SPK partner with Winterone!

Noctua has shown prototypes of the passive cooler. It makes the nhd15 look small. Definitely not gonna fit in the winter one.

However, there have been plenty of hints that the partner company on the SPK likes brown and beige 😉

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Kickstarter Update #3 is here

---------------

It has been a While, everyone. Sorry for having so little to share / update everyone on. Updates will be a lot more frequent in the coming weeks, as things are speeding up again. As detailed in the update, a *lot* of things have been happening behind the scenes, including ordering stock parts, and setting up automated QA for manufacturing (yay CMM machines!)

We're also working on finalizing the packaging... I'm tempted to show It off, but I think this is one thing we're going to leave as a surprise. :)

I know you have committed to black then silver (awesome response to feedback BTW), but any idea on the % break down?

Here's the final tally:
Black: 100 (64%)
Silver: 57 (36%)

@WinterCharm if everything will go as planned what is the target delivery date? (of course departure, arrival will vary between locations)

As of right now, unless we hit a snag with: packaging, manufacturing validation, or production itself... we are on target, but we have basically zero leeway, right now (this has been the case, due to the Kickstarter's launch delay).

Thats really good to hear! Both for finalizing v12 and the psu space. BTW, I was rewatching the 5 minute guide on YouTube and I noticed you were using a L9x65 or L9i. How is the performance? I have a NH-D14 which i'm tempted to use with a cardboard side panel until SPK but if I can get better then open-test-bench performance with a L9x65 then that will better.

I was using an L9x65 in the original build video, but swapped for a Cryorig C7G. The L9x65 was too close to the 67mm solid panel, and was choking due to lack of fan intake clearance. The L9i is just not able to keep up with a 4770k. If you're curious about the temperatures with C7G + Noctua fan, This Post has a bit of information :)

I will be testing a Noctua L12S with the validation prototype,
so expect some fun air cooled results there! :)

What's the word on SFX-L power supplies? Did any beta testers try it? If I'm using the 4-drive cage, how much space will there be between the PSU and the cage?

SFX-L power supplies, are supported, up to 137mm in length. Even with a Drive Cage.

There is a bit of an overlap between the drive cage and power supply edge (about 0.7cm), but Power Supplies don't typically have any of their power connectors at the *very* edge, so there shouldn't be any issues. Most SFX-L power supplies are 125-130mm in length, so 137mm should be comfortable. :)

Here's a few pictures so you can see what I mean.

dY is the the distance from the Bottom of the Power Supply Bracket to the top of the Drive Cage.

Also shown are two areas for cable management (And yes, re-usable cable loops fit through those holes). You can also mount an Aquareo Quadro or similar fan controller to these rails. :D

Do you have information about Batch 1?

Batch 1, in Black, is currently on schedule for Late December delivery. We're finishing Manufacturing Validation right now, which will minimize errors for the production run (you never know when you'll uncover that for some reason, something you specify as ±0.1mm is actually ±0.3mm and suddenly, fitment is affected). This is why taking the time to do Validation (are the numbers you input in CAD + tolerances what you get on the real part?) is critically important. Catching these issues at the factory means they can be fixed immediately. :)

-----------------------

Sorry about the massive lull in updates, everyone. They'll be a lot more regular now :)

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
I will be testing a Noctua L12S with the validation prototype, so expect some fun air cooled results there! :)

Thank you very much for the update. Please could you test this with the fan in both configs (pulling through heat sink and exhausting out) - hopefully this won't be too much of a drag as the fan is secured using a clip. I assume exhaust will be bad because it will be right up against the solid side panel but would be fine with perforated. I currently have the blackridge cooler and it's significantly louder in the pull config, but cools about 10% better. However this is with a 92mm slim noctua so they get a fair bit noiser than the 120mm.

Sidenote about the SPK - will it come with a mounting backplate? I added the noctua l9a backplate to the blackridge and it improved thermals under aida64 stress FPU load by a further 5-10%.

Cheers and thank you for your continued work.

Reactions: WinterCharm

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
Batch 1, in Black, is currently on schedule for Late December delivery. We're finishing Manufacturing Validation right now, which will minimize errors for the production run (you never know when you'll uncover that for some reason, something you specify as ±0.1mm is actually ±0.3mm and suddenly, fitment is affected). This is why taking the time to do Validation (are the numbers you input in CAD + tolerances what you get on the real part?) is critically important. Catching these issues at the factory means they can be fixed immediately. :)

You are my hero, thank you very much for your professionalism.
I couldn't hope for better :thumb:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Would winter one be available from any channel other than kickstarter ?

Yes. Batch 2 and beyond will be sold on the Winter Design Co website. You can currently Sign Up To Get Notified about when Batch 2 orders open. Expect this to happen after Batch 1 ships.

What happened to the torx screws? Would like torx over those strip-painting-slip-inducing Phillips screws. I just got a NR200 and i still managed to chip some paint off the screws.

That middle bracket looks very interesting. Would it be possible to see a clean pic of it.

This is something I've been debating about for a while. Torx drivers are not very common, whereas philips drivers are quite common, meaning most people would have them laying around the house. Furthermore, most hardware stores carry Philips screws, so finding a replacement screw would be far easier. We've also seen repair websites give lower repairability ratings to anything that uses Torx screw. The other issue is that I have not seen too many reliable suppliers of good Torx screws with black oxide coatings. The next best option, and possibly what would represent a good middle ground, is including a hex key and some hex-drive screws, similar to the FormD T1...

I'm curious as to what people would prefer between Philips w/ no included tool, and Hex drive flat heads, with an included L-key? I'm a bit wary of using Torx because I find that the benefits it provides over a hex drive are not so great that it warrants the extra inconvenience. (I'm aware that Apple uses Torx, but they also do it because they don't want you inside their machines 😛)

As for the central beam, yeah, I'll be posting more images of it soon. :)

Thank you very much for the update. Please could you test this with the fan in both configs (pulling through heat sink and exhausting out) - hopefully this won't be too much of a drag as the fan is secured using a clip. I assume exhaust will be bad because it will be right up against the solid side panel but would be fine with perforated. I currently have the blackridge cooler and it's significantly louder in the pull config, but cools about 10% better. However this is with a 92mm slim noctua so they get a fair bit noiser than the 120mm.

Sidenote about the SPK - will it come with a mounting backplate? I added the noctua l9a backplate to the blackridge and it improved thermals under aida64 stress FPU load by a further 5-10%.

Cheers and thank you for your continued work.

Intake will perform better than exhaust, even with the perforated panels, as the bottom / top fans in the perforated panel configuration are designed to fling hot exhaust out of the enclosure, and assist in the intake of cool / fresh air from the sides, directly into the GPU cooler / CPU cooler. Also, during the Beta Program, @JDragon did test an L12 in the Winter One with solid panels, and found that intake even against the side panels, performed a *lot* better than exhaust. It had to do with fast moving air in Winter One quickly removing the exhaust if it was flung out from the fan, while there was always cool air around the intake.

The SPK will have a sensible mounting system, yes.

You are my hero, thank you very much for your professionalism.
I couldn't hope for better :thumb:

I will be doing validation and verification for every batch. That includes statistical dimensional reports via CMM, as well as material sampling and testing (to ensure that alloying is good, and materials are up to the specification set forth). The manufacturers invovled understand that I want to uphold a level of quality. It's not lack of trust, but simply the way we do things because we agreed to hold ourselves to a high standard. Mistakes and errors happen: tool calibration drifts, and bits and bearings wear out, and sometimes metallurgy creates a bad batch.

It's also part of being responsible, environmentally. CMM uses a bit of electricity, and adds time. But it doesn't add much carbon footprint, and the energy / carbon costs are astronomically higher if you have 3 bad parts / 100, as opposed to 0 or 1, that all have to take a return flight to the factory, as *another* set of parts is dispatched to each of those individuals. The added carbon footprint is crazy.

Trust, but Verify.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I think that since Phillips is easier to replace it shouldn't be included since you can buy them easily. You cant buy good Torx screws easily. Hex would be ok too I just want something that wont strip the moment I cough on it.

I certainly understand that. It's why we switched to stainless steel screws for the production batch.

Reactions: carlover670

MiniMe

Trash Compacter
Nov 25, 2017
I certainly understand that. It's why we switched to stainless steel screws for the production batch.
I'm gutted I missed the KS but I can't wait for Batch 2.
3 questions, apologies if I've missed the answer to either.

The power switch, is the cut out circular if so what diameter as I'd like to perhaps swap it for a vandal switch if possible.

Any chance of getting the screw sizes for the case, I'm also in the boat of preferring torx so would like to swap them out ideally.

If I went with a single 280, would that open allowing for DTX? If so any idea on the clearance beneath as to whether I could fit fans etc.