Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

smalltownboi

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
Not quite on with the rear power button trend. But something like this.
And it glows too.

Anyways, it's upto wintercharm to decide if it can be changed now.

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
I ended up throwing things around in Sketchup to plan my loop and realized if I would use the upcoming FE block from EK, I'd have to go with the terminal that is faceing out of the side not to the pump. This means I'll probably go with 2x90's to connect the Pump to the GPU.

This leaves me with 2 questions @WinterCharm :
a) Can you tell me what is the total clearance from the PSU to the sidepanel (red line)
b) I assume the pump bracket is something like an "L" like in the screenshots you once posted: Will I be able to adjust the height somewhat freely (to align the pump outlet with the GPU inlet) or is it fixed? (blue line)

Thanks in advance :)

Mikecom32

Chassis Packer
Oct 27, 2020
I'm wondering the same thing. EK's D5 cylindrical pump/reservoir combo units all look to be too tall. There's a possibility that replacing the tube with the shortest one they offer could fit by a few mm, but I'm waiting for EK to confirm the actual length of the stock tube on their shortest model. Napkin math says that based on the volume delta with the stock tube, it would be really tight and eliminate the top ports.

@WinterCharm sorry to keep @ing you. Any chance this EK flat reservoir would fit? The dimensions are 120 x 120 x 86 with the included bracket.

I wish there was a stripped down CAD model I could use to try mocking up a few options... ;)

I ended up pulling the trigger on the smallest size EK flat reservoir with a D5 pump. This is all going into my current case, and I needed to get something ordered. Hopefully it'll fit, but it was a bit of a shot in the dark.

Ne1nLives

Cable Smoosher
Aug 30, 2020
Now that I think about it, I’m also inclined to agree that not having a power button up front might look better.

On a side note, re: the most recent backer update, does that mean the LTT video fell through?

• Sad
Reactions: WinterCharm

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
@WinterCharm

So, I have money and you have an idea for a windowed panel... We should trade. Take my money!

I noticed in the email you mentioned the cost incurred with tempered glass. Would you use something like acrylic instead?

If you designed the mounting mechanism to hold the acrylic with brackets and use screws directly into the panel, this would allow us to change materials if we wanted.

My Lian li v1000 windowed panel is constructed this way.

• Haha
Reactions: WinterCharm

smalltownboi

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
I love these last pushes when people start coming out of the woodwork to ask that the project conform to their every desire/nitpick.
I
I just had to get it out there hadn't I?.
One can always nitpick. I could always fix the things myself if that bothers me so much.
Now I feel bad for starting this.

Love how the community backs the creators.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
re: the most recent backer update, does that mean the LTT video fell through?

Sort of: they're still waiting for parts to arrive, so the project has been pushed back. :/ it's been a rough day, but I've been hard at work doing final checks on v11.

Thankfully I had some semblance of a fallback marketing plan ready to go. I'll also have a post here later today, addressing the last few pages of comments (been really busy, forgive me), and get back to answering everyone's questions and concerns. :)

The pump bracket is awesome, though. I'm really happy with how the design turned out, and I cannot wait for everyone to get their hands on it.

Am I the only one hoping for some tempered glass perforated panels?

There's one material I was exploring for this. Only problem is, it begins to melt around 55ºC which is cutting it dangerously close... but it's essentially a SLA-fused glass-like polymer, that I was hoping to use. However, that melting point makes it a no-go for custom reservoirs and/or perforated glass panels, next to very hot® PC components.

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
There's one material I was exploring for this. Only problem is, it begins to melt around 55ºC which is cutting it dangerously close... but it's essentially a SLA-fused glass-like polymer, that I was hoping to use. However, that melting point makes it a no-go for custom reservoirs and/or perforated glass panels, next to very hot® PC components.

We've played around with this, or something similar in my lab. Not recommended. Left a few pieces on a window sill on a warm day and came back to permanently deformed parts.

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
The pump bracket is awesome, though. I'm really happy with how the design turned out, and I cannot wait for everyone to get their hands on it.

Yes, very nice job. :)

I almost forgot this :

"The Lower Spine extending across the entirety of the case was necessary to solve 4 problems we found in the Beta version.../..."

I can't wait !!!

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Any recommendations on which 280 AIOs could fit in the winter one. The kraken x62/63 is 3mm longer.
Looks like EVGA has one that *just* fits. 312mm in length.

A quick note on Radiator Dimensions -- there are screw posts that stick out by ~ 2.5mm on the corners at the top / bottom of the case. This can cause a bit of trouble with "perfectly square" radiators, so caution is advised with 280mm AIOs. Winter One was sized around the best performing 280mm radiator (HWL GTS 280), but for AIOs, because they tend to be larger, or shaped a bit differently, (sometimes due to an integrated pump) it's recommended that you pick a 240mm AIO that you know will fit without any trouble.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Not quite on with the rear power button trend. But something like this.
And it glows too.

Anyways, it's upto wintercharm to decide if it can be changed now.

It's far too late to make a change like that, as the front panel and rear panel have been finalized. Also, remember: the front panel is a key switch. You can make custom keycaps for it, even doing some really nice pours for acrylic ones... :)

I felt like because there are some serious customization options available for people who are making their own power buttons, it made sense to showcase the power button on the front.