Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Thanks! I would just be using a single radiator but if I’m following correctly you’re suggesting a push setup (with perforated side panels/all exhaust)

case
CPU radiator
Fan /\
components
Fan \/
case

Yeah, for a single radiator configuration, that's exactly how i'd set it up.

Would love to hear how something like a 3900X or 3950X does with the L12S in this case. I'm having a bad time with my first AIO's pump noise (H100i Pro XT) :(

An L12S on an open air test bench gives you a respectable 72ºC at 1750 RPM, on an open air test bench According to Optimum Tech. Based on testing, you can expect 1-3ºC *better* performant than an Open-Air test bench in Winter One with the recommended airflow setups. With something as hot as the 3950X or 3950, I'd expect you might see a 1-2ºC drop, if you ran the case in all-exhaust mode with perforated side panels acting as the intakes.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
hello,

I am a new member of this forum that I have been reading for a long time.I wanted to thank WinterCharm for this fantastic project. I'm ready for the KS ...

Ohhhh. There’s a placeholder on Kickstarter. ?

Good lord, nothing gets past you lot ? Someone found it literally less than 50 minutes after the page being enabled... Email notifications are going out soon®.

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
@WinterCharm will the SPK support the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 and what sorta GPUs will be supported(reference/custom board). And if you can't provide that data can you please provide some time frame for when you will be discussing the SPK. I'm really interested in it but I dont want to buy a bunch of expensive parts only for it to not work with the main reason why im building a new computer in the first place. Thank you for responding.

Mikecom32

Chassis Packer
Oct 27, 2020
I found this project six months back or so via a Reddit post. Just ordered parts for the new build below:
  • Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (planned on release)
  • 2 x 16 GB DDR4-4000 CL16
  • Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 (planned on release)
  • RTX 3080 Founders (already purchased)
Planning on water cooling this setup with a custom hardline loop. I'm going to built it all in my current non-SFF case, but want to make sure I can reuse everything in the Winter One. I have a few questions:
  1. Is the Aquanaut + DDC pump the only real option with the size of the Winter One?
  2. Will an EK DDC 3.2 PWM push enough flow for two 280 GTS rads, a 5950X, and a 3080FE?
    1. If not, do you have any other suggestions?
  3. Will all this fit?
  4. I'd love to get a D5 + tiny reservoir in there somewhere, but I feel like that's going to be impossible - thoughts?

Reactions: WinterCharm

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
On Page 16, you'll find a picture of a pump next to a short GPU - depending on how short the waterblock you're using it would be possible to put a D5 in there. So no, the Aquanaut is not the only real option. There was a beta unit send to @Qzrx - he built a fully watercooled setup not using the aquanaut. reddit

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
1. Apogee II and Aquanaut for cpu mounted. Looks like fittings on a barrow will make it a hair too tall.
2. The pump is overkill for SFF. You're fine.
3. It will all fit in the Winter and still have plenty of space.
4. If you're going to waterblock an FE, then you'll have all the room in the world to fit a D5 and res on the provided bracket.

DoctorGrims

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2020
I found this project six months back or so via a Reddit post. Just ordered parts for the new build below:
  • Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (planned on release)
  • 2 x 16 GB DDR4-4000 CL16
  • Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 (planned on release)
  • RTX 3080 Founders (already purchased)
Planning on water cooling this setup with a custom hardline loop. I'm going to built it all in my current non-SFF case, but want to make sure I can reuse everything in the Winter One. I have a few questions:
  1. Is the Aquanaut + DDC pump the only real option with the size of the Winter One?
  2. Will an EK DDC 3.2 PWM push enough flow for two 280 GTS rads, a 5950X, and a 3080FE?
    1. If not, do you have any other suggestions?
  3. Will all this fit?
  4. I'd love to get a D5 + tiny reservoir in there somewhere, but I feel like that's going to be impossible - thoughts?

According to the compatibility listed on the website you can fit a tallpump/res next to your gpu. Depending on your waterblock and because the FE edition of cards have a shorter motherboard than other cards you should be able to fit something like a EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 120 DDC with ease. I'm going to use the Bykski one as a reference, the length of the entire block and gpu shoudl be around 187mm. That means you have 125mm (312mm-187mm) of length to play with a pump/res combo.

I'm upgrading my current setup to watercooling so it can fit into the Winter One with hardline tubing. However I chose to do a single 280mm radiator on the top and a single 140mm radiator on the bottom. This leaves the spot underneath the GPU and PSU towards the front of the case open for a pump/res combo. I chose the EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 D5 pump, due to its short vertical height (86mm). If my math is right you have 103mm (46mm+57mm) of height to play with if you use a single 140mm radiator. This means you don't have to squeeze a small pump between the bottom radiator and the gpu which I think looks unsightly. A total of 420mm of slim radiator will cool my setup just fine.

If anybody wants to doublecheck my math that would be great too.

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
According to the compatibility listed on the website you can fit a tallpump/res next to your gpu. Depending on your waterblock and because the FE edition of cards have a shorter motherboard than other cards you should be able to fit something like a EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 120 DDC with ease. I'm going to use the Bykski one as a reference, the length of the entire block and gpu shoudl be around 187mm. That means you have 125mm (312mm-187mm) of length to play with a pump/res combo.

I'm upgrading my current setup to watercooling so it can fit into the Winter One with hardline tubing. However I chose to do a single 280mm radiator on the top and a single 140mm radiator on the bottom. This leaves the spot underneath the GPU and PSU towards the front of the case open for a pump/res combo. I chose the EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 D5 pump, due to its short vertical height (86mm). If my math is right you have 103mm (46mm+57mm) of height to play with if you use a single 140mm radiator. This means you don't have to squeeze a small pump between the bottom radiator and the gpu which I think looks unsightly. A total of 420mm of slim radiator will cool my setup just fine.

I am planning on doing something similar if the upcoming 6900/6800 waterblock is not too long, along with the EK 120mm combo pump/res. If that doesn't work out, then I will go the Aquanaut route.

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019

For considering a 140mm radiator with a full-length GPU and the pump occupying the other 140mm space on the bottom that D5 res/pump combo won’t work. The D5 can’t be used upside-down, so you’re looking at 86mm height _across_ the full width which will interfere with the GPU. You could potentially mount it vertically, tucking the pump under the GPU but then you can’t access to ports since the reservoir’s would be facing the side panel and the pumps the bottom of the case. I’d suggest using a standalone D5 along with a smaller reservoir or T-line. Something the Quantum Intertia from EK combined with a flow meter like this Bykski 3-way Flow Indicator with the impeller removed to act as a small reservoir would be a perfect combination. You could also use a compact reservoir tucked behind the GPU like the Swiftech Micro-Res.

If you’re using a Very Short GPU like a 30XX FE then that changes things significantly and you could probably easily fit something like a D5 topped with a small reservoir.

Last edited:

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
The 3080 reference board seems to be aroun 220mm in length, which should leave plenty of room for a pump on the bracket. I imagine RDNA2 will be around the same size, maybe even smaller.

DoctorGrims

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2020
For considering a 140mm radiator with a full-length GPU and the pump occupying the other 140mm space on the bottom that D5 res/pump combo won’t work. The D5 can’t be used upside-down, so you’re looking at 86mm height _across_ the full width which will interfere with the GPU. You could potentially mount it vertically, tucking the pump under the GPU but then you can’t access to ports since the reservoir’s would be facing the side panel and the pumps the bottom of the case. I’d suggest using a standalone D5 along with a smaller reservoir or T-line. Something the Quantum Intertia from EK combined with a flow meter like this Bykski 3-way Flow Indicator with the impeller removed to act as a small reservoir would be a perfect combination. You could also use a compact reservoir tucked behind the GPU like the Swiftech Micro-Res.

If you’re using a Very Short GPU like a 30XX FE then that changes things significantly and you could probably easily fit something like a D5 topped with a small reservoir.

Hmm, I was under the assumption that I could use the FLT pump/res with the res on the top and the pump on the bottom side. The installation manual on EK's website makes it seems like I could do so? I'm still quite new to watercooling so I could be wrong.

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
Hmm, I was under the assumption that I could use the FLT pump/res with the res on the top and the pump on the bottom side. The installation manual on EK's website makes it seems like I could do so? I'm still quite new to watercooling so I could be wrong.

You can, but the problem is you then have a flat reservoir that is 86mm tall and 120mm wide going straight across—which would collide with the motherboard/GPU mounting arm because of that 120mm width. You could avoid that by placing it “under” the pump, but that’s not a valid configuration sadly.

I can’t promise it won’t work because i don’t have exact measurements for that mounting arm on hand but I’m skeptical of the fit.

Last edited:

DoctorGrims

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2020
You can, but the problem is you then have a flat reservoir that is 86mm tall and 120mm wide going straight across—which would collide with the motherboard/GPU mounting arm because of that 120mm width. You could avoid that by placing it “under” the pump, but that’s not a valid configuration sadly.

I can’t promise it won’t work because i don’t have exact measurements for that mounting arm on hand but I’m skeptical of the fit.
Ahh shoot, back to the drawing board for me.