Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
You can, but the problem is you then have a flat reservoir that is 86mm tall and 120mm wide going straight across—which would collide with the motherboard/GPU mounting arm because of that 120mm width. You could avoid that by placing it “under” the pump, but that’s not a valid configuration sadly.

Ahh shoot, back to the drawing board for me.

I can’t promise it won’t work because i don’t have exact measurements for that mounting arm on hand but I’m skeptical of the fit.
Agree 100%. Best to go with a reference design and use a more "standard" pump/res combo. This will also give you more radiator space to play with.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
@WinterCharm will the SPK support the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 and what sorta GPUs will be supported(reference/custom board). And if you can't provide that data can you please provide some time frame for when you will be discussing the SPK. I'm really interested in it but I dont want to buy a bunch of expensive parts only for it to not work with the main reason why im building a new computer in the first place. Thank you for responding.

We're doing our best to stick to the Keep-out-zones for CPU coolers on the AMD and Intel Sockets. That being said, a lot of motherboard makers run really close to these, especially in the ITX space. It may mean pulling some heat sinks off and replacing them with something shorter, for some configurations of the CPU-side SPK, and relying on the airflow from the case to cool those VRMs.

On the GPU side, we're looking at supporting every reference PCB from AMD and Nvidia for the most recent 2 generations (5000 series and 6000 series for AMD, and 2000 / 3000 series for Nvidia).

@WinterCharm what are the changes that you made on the final version vs the prototype that you sent to LTT and beta testers?

Winter One v10 (BETA) --> v11 (Kickstarter Version) Changelog!

1. Slight Volume Increase from 15.4L >> 15.6L
2. Added Dual 280mm Radiators (Including the HWL GTS280!)
3. Added 30mm Radiator + 25mm Fan Support! (56.5mm *total* fan+rad clearance!)
3. Increased GPU Length to 315mm (3090 FE is now Supported!)
4. Increased CPU Cooler Height to 70mm
5. Created a Pump Bracket for mounting liquid cooling pumps
6. Switched Fully Machined Exterior (better tolerances & finish)
7. Redesigned Side Panels for another 4% cooling capacity
8. Added mounting support for AquaComputer Quadro (micro fan/pump controller)
9. All Beta Feedback Incorporated (QoL changes, major improvements, part redesigns). (it's a long list -- like 3 pages worth).

:)

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
@WinterCharm Congratulations on the kickstarter! I'll be ready at the keyboard in 9 hours ? Will there be different support pricing tiers?

yes, there is an early bird special - it’s a bit limited, so get there early ^_^

the case starts at $319. :)
I’ll post more detailed pricing info in a few hours. (I need sleep now lol, it’s 5 am, gonna catch a bit of rest before tomorrow)

dotnetapp

Chassis Packer
Sep 25, 2019
yes, there is an early bird special - it’s a bit limited, so get there early ^_^

the case starts at $319. :)
I’ll post more detailed pricing info in a few hours. (I need sleep now lol, it’s 5 am, gonna catch a bit of rest before tomorrow)
Instant buy from me :p, is there any hope that the case comes in novembre?
Having a lan party with friends for a weekend early december ? (need to show off the case)

Reactions: WinterCharm

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
I have a small question for those who want to install 2 x 280 heaters and a long graphics card. Where to put the pump, and which pump model?
It seems to be quite complicated ...

I think that finally, I'll install a 280 on top and a 140 on the bottom, like some of the ones here. This should be enough to cool down the cpu and the graphics card.
Do you have other ideas ?

• Love

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
I have a small question for those who want to install 2 x 280 heaters and a long graphics card. Where to put the pump, and which pump model?
It seems to be quite complicated ...
The pump can go below the GPU (like this) or on top of the CPU (via Aquanaut).

I think that finally, I'll install a 280 on top and a 140 on the bottom, like some of the ones here. This should be enough to cool down the cpu and the graphics card.
Do you have other ideas ?
Use a short gpu like the 3080/3090 FE or the reference model and you can basically use any pump.

• Love

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Instant buy from me :p, is there any hope that the case comes in novembre?
Having a lan party with friends for a weekend early december ? (need to show off the case)

Going to do our best to deliver in early december, but the ~2 week launch delay we incurred is going to make that very troublesome :/

Right now, the target is to ship all cases by end of November, or first week of december, if possible, but that will really depend on how many orders we get, and what happens if we run into a production hell or holiday shipping delays. Even products with insanely tight supply chains like the iPhone (did you know Apple products only stay on the shelf for an average of ~2 days?), there have been delays.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
JUST OVER AN HOUR TO GO! ?

I just want to say thank you to everyone here, for all the support and love you've shown this project over the last year. It's come so far in such a short time, and it's all thanks to you lovely humans. <3

Here's a quick summary post, for anyone who's just getting caught up to what's going on:

Kickstarter

Hello everyone! It’s been a long time coming, but the Winter One Kickstarter is finally happening, and goes live in just a few hours!!!

COUNTDOWN TO LAUNCH IS HERE

Get there early for a limited time price! ❄. * ・ 。゚. * ☆━ヘ(>_<)/

FOR PRICING INFORMATION SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM :)

Winter One v11 — (Kickstarter Version) Changelogs!!!

1. Slight Volume Increase from 15.4L >> 15.6L
2. Added Dual 280mm Radiators (Including the HWL GTS280!)
3. Added 30mm Radiator + 25mm Fan Support! (56.5mm *total* fan+rad clearance!)
3. Increased GPU Length to 315mm (3090 FE is now Supported!)
4. Increased CPU Cooler Height to 70mm
5. Created a Pump Bracket for mounting liquid cooling pumps
6. Switched Fully Machined Exterior (better tolerances & finish)
7. Redesigned Side Panels for another 4% cooling capacity
8. Added mounting support for AquaComputer Quadro (micro fan/pump controller)
9. All Beta Feedback Incorporated (lots of little changes, too many to list)

I'll be making a more detailed post with v11 changes this weekend, and will go into a lot more detail.

Thermal Testing

Winter One's thermals are incredible. This sort of cooling in an SFFPC case is unheard of, and the results are pretty jaw dropping.

Winter One Air-cooled:

* with fans at 900rpm in bottom >> top flow, a 2080Ti and 3800X ran 2-3ºC *cooler* **than an open air test bench**
* with a Raijintek Morpehus on a GTX 1080, **using case fans *only*** achieved, 73ºC temps on the GPU.
* Airflow is so strong it overwhelms some GPU coolers that exhaust out of the long edge of the card (like the 2080Ti FE). Turn fan RPMs *Down* (from 1300 >> 900) to achieve 4-6ºC better temps :)

Winter One Liquid-cooled:

* v10 Beta Unit with [Dual 240mm Magicool G2 Radiators, and Swiftech MCP50X pump]()
* 3900X + 2080Ti, running Prime95+FurMark *at the same time*.
* 3900X at 75ºC, and the 2080ti at 52ºC
* Water held steady at 42ºC (+12ºC vs ambient)
* Fans were at 1200rpm, and system was *utterly* silent.
* This was during a heatwave — Ambient Temps were a blistering 30ºC (85ºF)
* Performance Panels + Dual 280’s is expected to improve cooling by another 30%

All Thermal Testing was done with Beta (v10) Units and Solid Panels.

-------------

Acoustic Optimization:

Measurements Taken with a UMIK-1 Reference Mic on v10 Beta

* Below 26dBa at 1200 rpm (NF A14)
* Peaks spread at roughly 200, 400, and 800Hz due to optimization
* Nothing above 1.2Khz is louder than 22dBa (keeps high pitched noise away)
* Measurement distance was 20cm

-----------

Airflow

I thought you'd find these interesting, as you can get a really nice look at the incredible airflow of Winter One :)

Airflow in with Solid Panels (Bottom -> Top)

Airflow with Performance Panels (Side Intake -> Bottom / Top Exhaust)

----------

See What Beta Testers Are Saying About Winter One:

Below are two reviews from Beta Testers of Winter One :) These users have been building in an early-access version of Winter One v10, and they loved it so far.

Performance is where Winter One Shines… both sets of radiator fans run with almost completely unrestricted intakes meaning no turbulence, no chop, and almost no noise whatsoever no matter how fast the fans are running. In general gaming and ML scenarios, the system is inaudible… Dead silence vs. overclocking in an SFF case with no-compromise hardware isn’t going to be a compromise and I cannot wait to build in it (again)!

@Qzrx Link to Full Review

It's a damn good case, and the moon is made of machined aluminum cheese.

@gelbetron Link to Full Review

--------------

Winter One Website Update

A *lot* of information went live on the [Winter One Website](http://www.winterdesign.co) over the last few days. Be sure to check it out:

* Finalized Dimensions for Winter One
* Part Compatibility Information
* Build Photos
* Airflow, Design, Materials, Thermals, and Acoustic Optimization Section
* Kickstarter Countdown Page!!!
* Augmented Reality Preview of Winter One

----------------

More Pictures of Winter One

Gorgeous Finish

Cork-Padded Feet

Machined Top Panel

Next to a Monitor and Keyboard

-----------------

## Part Compatibility

---------------

Pricing and Configurations

mikro_do

Cable Smoosher
Oct 18, 2020
I'm also hyped!
Could you please post a picture of the side panels (especially the slide mounting) before KS goes live? So I can see if I can make myself a glass panel?
I really want to buy the Winter One, but a glass panel is important for me :)
Or is it just a solid panel with the same dimensions all around (no thinner parts for the mounting) and I would just need a glass panel with the same dimensions?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
make glass panels as 1 of the stretch goals. since bottom-top airflow is already so good with this case, plenty of users will want the glass panels to showcase the internal hardware. 15.6L is a bit big for me but let's see ?

Reactions: Mikecom32