Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019

Waiting on KS to approve. As of Wednesday, everything was submitted beyond the last ID verification. Now we wait. :3

Serious question.

Can I fund the KS campaign from India? And can you ship it here?

That should be possible, but I will need to look at rates and tariffs. I hadn't planned on this for the KS, but if you can DM me we can try to figure something out.

To make shipping as affordable as possible for everyone, I've been negotiating with carriers on a per-region basis, which is why the KS is currently limited to US / Can / Mex / EU / UK / Ireland / AUS / Japan. However, In the future, I'll be building a more robust distribution chain next year.

Just a render. ??

I think the photoshop posted by Qzrx has you covered.

Could be cool as an add-on?

I thought of doing a handle as an add on. Even had early designs of it. But the cost would be ridiculous, because of the way it was designed (A single piece, machined from a billet of 6x4x12 cm aluminum, wrapped in stitched leather).

It would be pretty, and aero optimized, like everything else on Winter One, but the final price was coming to like $129 ? and I didn't want to release the SFF equivalent to the "Mac Pro Wheels" ? and become a meme overnight. It just didn't feel right... so it was left off.

Perhaps in the future...

I suddenly want a white version.

A lot of people want a bunch of different color options, and we hear you... But for the first launch, we're going to try and keep it simple (Black / Silver).

as an optional part for the case. not everyone wants handles

As an optional part, made to the standard I wanted, the economics were just bad, based on how few people wanted them... It would be too expensive for me to feel good about selling it even as an add-on.

Just wanted to see how it would as wintercharm did say that he has taken inspiration from the Mac Pro.
I agree about adding a two tone color as an add-on to the ks.
if it were to me I'd say Front and back panels powder coated white. All vented panels in black?

Two Tone (as seen in some of the build pictures) was only done on the Beta Units to try out various colors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arviel and robojim

shioume

Chassis Packer
Oct 21, 2019
Oh damn, I was hoping to join KS from Japan :/
I'm not too familiar with KS programs, but is it possible to use transfer services?

Reactions: WinterCharm

Demthios

Cable Smoosher
Mar 4, 2020
All exhaust (with GPU/CPU as intakes) works very well for air cooling if you use the perforated side panels.

Wondering what CPU Coolers will fit and can cool a 3900x/3950x or the new 5900/5950, Clearance was only 67mm and I assume it only bumped up a bit when the change for 280 came about.

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
Have you ever made a positive comment in a thread?

In my experience whenever I see that cat avatar I know there will be some awfully tedious negative rubbish next to it and just scroll onwards.

Best of luck with the Kickstarter @WinterCharm, I will see if I can convince the other half to let me grab case number three this year. ?

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Wondering what CPU Coolers will fit and can cool a 3900x/3950x or the new 5900/5950, Clearance was only 67mm and I assume it only bumped up a bit when the change for 280 came about.

It's now 70mm, I've been struggling to get to 72mm but the issue is with standoffs and motherboard backplates. Can't make standoffs shorter than 6.25mm or it'll break the latest ITX spec.

Will there be support for 280 AIO?

Yes! Radiators and AIOs are supported up to 312mm in length.

Reactions: Demthios

ellroy80

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2020
In my experience whenever I see that cat avatar I know there will be some awfully tedious negative rubbish next to it and just scroll onwards.

You're not the only one! ? It'd be great if the forums had an 'Ignore' button.

EDIT: It does have an Ignore button. Click on the poster's name, then click Ignore in the popup.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
KS is really bad idea. Because this Titanic will catch his own iceberg (KS).
@dKenGuru I'm seeing a bunch of reports that your commentary is generally negative, bordering on trolling. From reading your post history:https://smallformfactor.net/forum/members/dkenguru.10490/#recent-content , I'd agree. As per the rules, namely regarding "In general, use common sense and show courtesy to your fellow community members" and per the general decorum of the forum (heh, rhyme), I'll ask you to refrain from the aforementioned negative behaviour. Note that this is warning number 2 in the space of a week. Ta.

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
It's now 70mm, I've been struggling to get to 72mm but the issue is with standoffs and motherboard backplates. Can't make standoffs shorter than 6.25mm or it'll break the latest ITX spec.
If the 70mm number is accurate then the Barrow block will not fit as it is already 64mm in height without fittings. The smallest 90 degree fitting i've found is 20mm of additional height.

This is tricky. I think the only option that will work is the Aquanaut - CPU+Pump Water Block (25mm without pump). It is more expensive as you have to buy a pump separately. The EK-DDC 3.2 PWM is around 40mm in height, maybe around 45mm with the pump housing (25+40mm), which would BARELY fit. I have to confirm to exact height of the combo as this might be the only option that works.

shioume

Chassis Packer
Oct 21, 2019
If the 70mm number is accurate then the Barrow block will not fit as it is already 64mm in height without fittings. The smallest 90 degree fitting i've found is 20mm of additional height.

This is tricky. I think the only option that will work is the Aquanaut - CPU+Pump Water Block (25mm without pump). It is more expensive as you have to buy a pump separately. The EK-DDC 3.2 PWM is around 40mm in height, maybe around 45mm with the pump housing (25+40mm), which would BARELY fit. I have to confirm to exact height of the combo as this might be the only option that works.

A guy on reddit posted earlier that the Aquanaut is "55mm from the cold plate to the top of the fittings (52mm to top of the pump if you use low-profile fittings)" so I think it should have no problem fitting into Winter One.
Reddit post :

Also, I believe Barrow measures its block from the coldplate to the top of integrated pump, so with low profile Koolance fittings that might clear too. No promises though.

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
A guy on reddit posted earlier that the Aquanaut is "55mm from the cold plate to the top of the fittings (52mm to top of the pump if you use low-profile fittings)" so I think it should have no problem fitting into Winter One.
Reddit post :

Also, I believe Barrow measures its block from the coldplate to the top of integrated pump, so with low profile Koolance fittings that might clear too. No promises though.
Thank you for posting this, very helpful. Those fittings look similar in height to the bitspower, which are about 28mm in height. I will probably go the safe route and use the nouvolo block.

Reactions: shioume

shioume

Chassis Packer
Oct 21, 2019
Thank you for posting this, very helpful. Those fittings look similar in height to the bitspower, which are about 28mm in height. I will probably go the safe route and use the nouvolo block.
Yeh good idea, Barrow is a bit risky (koolance fittings are out of stock too).

Also forgot to mention, EK-DDC 3.2 PWM is about 28mm in height with the stock barb housing removed..(I'm assuming you can remove it? correct me if I'm wrong) so that + Aquanaut would work too. No need to use the exact same pump as the reddit post, fyi :)

Reactions: Arviel

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
Yeh good idea, Barrow is a bit risky (koolance fittings are out of stock too).

Also forgot to mention, EK-DDC 3.2 PWM is about 28mm in height with the stock barb housing removed..(I'm assuming you can remove it? correct me if I'm wrong) so that + Aquanaut would work too. No need to use the exact same pump as the reddit post, fyi :)
Would you happen to know the height of the EK pump inside the EK-DDC housing? I can't find dimensions anywhere, not even on EK's site. I imagine it would be around the same height as the pump itself.

shioume

Chassis Packer
Oct 21, 2019
Would you happen to know the height of the EK pump inside the EK-DDC housing? I can't find dimensions anywhere, not even on EK's site. I imagine it would be around the same height as the pump itself.

I purchased the “EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite - Acetal (incl. pump)” which I believe is a combination of the XTOP, pump and the heatsink housing you linked.

Assuming thats correct, the height excluding the XTOP (aka the pump + heatsink housing height) is around 28mm.

Reactions: Arviel