Windows 10 Build 1803

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
I am running Win 10 1803, which will reach its end of service on 12th Nov.

I like to know how many of you guys are, like me, still running this Build 1803?
And, if so, what is your plan?
I have been disabling all auto-update options (but nonetheless, it still updates itself once every 35 days or so, if there is an update awaiting).

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
All desktops at home + my partner's laptop are fully updated. The IT department at work recently pushed an OS update to my laptop, but can't remember if it's on 1809 or 1903. I see no reason to not keep pace, I've never had issues with a single W10 update, and I like a lot of the features in newer builds.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I've never had issues with a single W10 update
Good to hear that, thanks for the info.*
That's not what I have experienced with previous Win versions, thus I had disabled auto updates as OP (I rely on my FW for security).
Unlike OP I never noticed it to force update though, so I might be still running the first build. Will check when back at home.

*just made a quick search and these updates don't look so clean to say the least:
"Consequently, even those happy on Windows 10 1803 will have no choice but to comply. Meanwhile, in just the last month alone, Windows 1903 updates have broken the Search and the Start Menu (twice), caused USB and audio problems, screen discolouration, spiked CPU usage, failed to install and disconnected users from the Internet."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...warning-1903-upgrade-windows-10/#4c3adfb36c09

Then I am probably not going to touch it...

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Good to hear that, thanks for the info.*
That's not what I have experienced with previous Win versions, thus I had disabled auto updates as OP (I rely on my FW for security).
Unlike OP I never noticed it to force update though, so I might be still running the first build. Will check when back at home.

*just made a quick search and these updates don't look so clean to say the least:
"Consequently, even those happy on Windows 10 1803 will have no choice but to comply. Meanwhile, in just the last month alone, Windows 1903 updates have broken the Search and the Start Menu (twice), caused USB and audio problems, screen discolouration, spiked CPU usage, failed to install and disconnected users from the Internet."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...warning-1903-upgrade-windows-10/#4c3adfb36c09

Then I am probably not going to touch it...
Yeah, I've heard of plenty of issues, but I've come to see them as happening to a vocal minority rather than a significant portion of users. Not that that makes it okay, but it's not enough to deter me from updating at a reasonable cadence. Btw checked my work laptop, and it's on 1809, so I guess it's officially a year behind.

As for the message of 1803 being EOL'ed and forced updates to 1809, I think I saw that when I pulled out an old, unused PC from storage a month or two back. IIRC it pretty much told me that I would need to update ASAP and that the update couldn't be deferred. There are LTS (or whatever they're called with Windows) releases for anyone who doesn't like this, I suppose.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
I've had no problems over about 8 PCs running this update, a real mixed bag as well. Then again I haven't had any problems with W10 full stop.

Reactions: Valantar

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Ok, I bited the bullet yesterday and updated from Win 10 Pro 1803 to 1909. When I did a manual check, I thought Win 10 will go up to 1903 (as reported by some sites) but it did not but went straight to 1909. Went smoothly and done in about 15 minutes with a few reboots in between.
So far no problem...it is a relief.
This post should be a happy ending to this thread.

Reactions: BaK