Other What's on Taobao

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm amazed the Ncase M1 is hard to obtain in China, when it's produced in Taiwan if I'm correct.

Last edited:

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
The problem is Ncase can't enter the market because the government would tax them to death. Bitfenix and some others have almost totally pulled out of the market here - the prices they have to sell their products at make them unrealistic. This is done by the government to give local companies a chance to grow without such stiff competition, unfortunately it means a lot of businesses take advantage of the situation by selling the knockoffs or clones. IP theft is IP theft, except when you're in China and the government doesn't care. Then it's just business.

You can get the nCase in China but it's around $250 and it might take you awhile to import it. Taiwan is part of China except when it's not convenient for the government here. Then it's some foreign devil.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
250$ isn't a bad price for the real thing, it's still less than what many Europeans have paid.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
250$ isn't a bad price for the real thing, it's still less than what many Europeans have paid.

Well, given average wages, that's quite a lot. I haven't been back in almost 8 years, but the cost of living was 1:1 with USD (i.e 1 USD for something in the US = 1 RMB for same thing in China).

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
That still holds about true. A livable monthly salary is about 2500rmb in the software park here. A good salary is about 5000rmb. 10,000rmb or more a month and you live like a king.

6.7rmb = 1usd

Reactions: hardcore_gamer

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
That still holds about true. A livable monthly salary is about 2500rmb in the software park here. A good salary is about 5000rmb. 10,000rmb or more a month and you live like a king.

6.7rmb = 1usd

Heh. I miss the days of ration tickets sometimes. Even if you had money there was nothing to buy. Meanwhile your work unit issues you 15 kilos of bananas for good service.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I am very glad i was not here when that happened. My girlfriemds parents tell me about growing up in the 70s when they had almost nothing to eat, the whole town would put all of their food together and eat a meal with each other. Hearing stories like that puts alot of chinese behavior into perspective. If a young person acts impolite I still get a bit annoyed though, many of them are growing up in a better environment than I had.

When and how long were you here? And where were you?

Last edited:

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
When and how long were you here? And where were you?

Beijing mostly but also Guangzhou and lots of little farming villages stuck in the 1960s. I'm loath to date myself, but suffice to say I had several things that came in boxes with this stamped on it:

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Wow. I read some books before i came here. One from a teacher in Chengdu in the late 80s and anothe from a teacher near chongqing in the mid-late 90s. Rural sichuan is still much the same (but rapidly changing) while Chengdu is more modern than any american city now.

Reactions: el01

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Oh yes. In the smaller towns, the main street is still called Liberation Road and the reception is terrible because all the buildings are made from ferroconcrete just in case Brezhnev fell asleep on the Kremlin's red button. In the surrounding countryside, the peasantry drive their vintage Liberation Tractors past faded Cultural Revolution style slogans reminding everyone that female infanticide is wrong. And said slogans are painted on walls that were probably built in Imperial times.

But then you stumble upon flatscreen TVs (720p in 2008!) in very average homes and it's incredibly jarring.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Our main street is called Peoples Road, but Chongqing's main square is Liberation Square, full of Gucci, Prada, Rolex, and other luxury brands.

The cultural revolution slogans are all gone from here, replaced by cultural revolution style advertising telling people to buy expensive stuff for their girlfriends. Because China.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Time for another edition of "What's On Taobao?" - October 2016!

I'm going to start with Jonsbo. Last time they had just released the VR1 vertical ITX case and RM4 (full atx version of RM3). They've been pretty busy since then with several more new products:

QT03 with glass panel (seems to be an updated QT01 with more style)

VR2 vertical m-ATX case. Different from the FT03, more like a mini FT05.

U4 - an ATX case similar to the m-ATX U3.

They've also got a new fan series, which is not a direct replacement for their older Eclipse series which came out last year. But they do have just as many LED lights!

I think in another thread I mentioned a case called the Limit Cube. Now they have a new one with flashier PCB design called Limit Cube 2.

Sunmilo may have a competitor in H'z - with their mk3s case:

Sunmilo wasn't idle however and released an updated BG3-e m-ATX case.

I ran into some new budget cases as well, one called the Spark Air Cube. I couldn't find that the company makes anything else and the case looks like its the same as another one, just cant remember what it is called.

Segotep has a couple nicer looking cases at low prices out too:
First is the Lux, which looks a bit like the PCCooler case i posted in August.

2nd is the EOS, not sure where they got the name, maybe they like Canon. It's got a bit of an In-Win thing going I think.

Another major maker, Bubalus, has a similar case to the EOS out called Farseer.

Aigo has a couple In-Win 805/809 copies.
https://item.jd.com/2891706.html
https://item.jd.com/3303012.html

Sahara and Sama didn't release much interesting recently.

Smaller maker ForGame has some new stuff:
A DeepCool SteamCastle looking cube.
Another transparent case that is quite popular these days.
Something that looks like maybe a Fractal Nano copy

Another maker called HuntKey has some cases listed under that brand that I was not aware were part of HuntKey.
One is the Pi2, a followup to the sort of Mac Pro trashcan case that came out last year.

MVPLAND case which looks like an In Win D Frame copy.

And while its not new I still like Alyibai, so here is their F6 triangle case:

That's all for now but I may update again if I see new things of interest!

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
While the stock panels look pretty pants in terms of ventilation, they all appear to be flat panels attached by simple screws so replacing them with your own panels should be pretty easy. The internal layout looks reasonably compact, so this might make a nice base for modding.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

That Overwatch branding surely was licensed correctly by them. ;)

I ran into some new budget cases as well, one called the Spark Air Cube. I couldn't find that the company makes anything else and the case looks like its the same as another one, just cant remember what it is called.

Corsair Carbide Air probably is the one you're thinking about.

And while its not new I still like Alyibai, so here is their F6 triangle case:

Interesting, a take on the Area51 that doesn't look tacky. There was another company that made a case similar to this but standing on one of the short faces. Can't remember who that was, though.