Other What's on Taobao

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
The jonsplus guys told me they have or are close to securing a US seller/distributor. So we will see. I personally don't have the time to put toward getting these distributed.
FWIW - newegg has a listing. $300. It was 269 a few weeks ago. I guess shipping went up.
No, they're milking it.

A retailer has a shipping account and other logistics advantages. $300 is about what that case would cost if you bought it via SuperBuy and used UPS Next Day Air shipping.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
No, they're milking it.

A retailer has a shipping account and other logistics advantages. $300 is about what that case would cost if you bought it via SuperBuy and used UPS Next Day Air shipping.
A 10% margin on a premium product where they provide the warranty and everything related to importing it... does that really qualify as "milking it"? I doubt Newegg employees work for free.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
A 10% margin on a premium product where they provide the warranty and everything related to importing it... does that really qualify as "milking it"? I doubt Newegg employees work for free.

It is a ton more than 10%, whether they are charging $269 or $300. Even a high end Chinese case is typically all of $100 (maybe $150), retail on Taobao, before shipping outside China. And that is consumer cost for buying 1 of them; not corporate bulk rate. If someone is charging $300 domestically in the USA, that isn't a 10% markup.

In the example you quoted....2/3 of the end consumer cost is the consumer paying an arm and a leg for international instant shipping at consumer rates.

The only case I know of that is remotely close to $300, retail, before S/H, on Taobao or Superbuy is the iQunix ZX1

Last edited:

MaZo

Average Stuffer
Dec 6, 2020
They sell the darkFlash DLH21 / Yogo S1 for $238 while it’s been on JD for $69-76 (excluding Superbuy costs)...

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
They sell the darkFlash DLH21 / Yogo S1 for $238 while it’s been on JD for $69-76 (excluding Superbuy costs)...
That's not Newegg, it's DarkFlash Direct (whoever that is) selling through Newegg. No doubt Newegg demands a cut for letting them use their storefront, but you can't blame Newegg for the price difference. It's definitely a big markup for what looks to be direct sales through a 3rd party storefront (i.e. no distributors involved), but again, it's not Newegg setting the prices.

And the same goes for the Jonsplus above, it seems, as it's sold by Corn Electronics. No idea if that's a US-based or China-based business, but it's not Newegg setting the prices.

digispa

Cable Smoosher
Mar 5, 2017
The jonsplus guys told me they have or are close to securing a US seller/distributor. So we will see. I personally don't have the time to put toward getting these distributed.
FWIW - newegg has a listing. $300. It was 269 a few weeks ago. I guess shipping went up.
Yeah I came across that one. The seller's rating didn't give me a lot of confidence, but I guess you gotta take what you can get. I already have a lot of mixed feelings about paying $300 for a case that I know is worth only half that.
No, they're milking it.

The $300 on newegg included shipping. If it didn't, I would totally agree that they're milking it.

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
There is a new 17.8L case from Warhead Design called LP-matx that can support mATX mobo and 240 rads. To be released in April/May 2021

And a new 21.8L case from ZZAW called C3 that can support mATX mobo, 360 rad, vertical or horizontal GPU and ATX PSU

Nero

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2020
Just thought I'd tell you guys, I've canceled my X2 order.

My agent told me the seller promised he would ship around the 20th of December, obviously he didn't so I decided to cancel, get a NR200P and wait for the new cases made with the new generation of GPUs in mind to be actually available.

Many cases are a centimeter or two away from being able to fit the largest 3090s with a 280mm AIO, so I expect many refreshed/new designs this year.

Meanwhile the NR200 has been a no bullshit, readily available solution for me, it's a hair big for my tastes but it will keep me happy until I fall in love with a new smaller case.

There's really something to do in the 14-15L range, and I think the Meshlicious is the first of many great no compromise cases in that range.

@prayogahs that first case is looking very promising, except for the lack of 280 AIO support. At these sizes I really think there's no real excuse for not having the option

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
A few people in the QQ group have received Acat X2 today (without accessories). Mine will take longer as I ordered all the accessories, and a US standard power cable.
This space gray version is a bit disappointing as you could clear see the difference in color.
this is pretty much standard for Formula/Acat cases. my old Formula X1 gunmetal/grey was exactly the same as pictured.

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I was wondering if it's possible to fix by exposing the darker component under the sunlight for a few months to let UV lighten the color.
in the couple of months I had the case, it was situated near the window with plenty of sunlight (tropical country) and I couldn't tell if the colour changed at all. that process maybe too slow to be worth it IMO so just take it as a 'feature' I suppose

Firebear

Trash Compacter
Oct 17, 2019
A few people in the QQ group have received Acat X2 today (without accessories). Mine will take longer as I ordered all the accessories, and a US standard power cable.
This space gray version is a bit disappointing as you could clear see the difference in color.
nice that it gets going - i hope mine won't take too long and will ship to superbuy before cny. D: I only did the custom painted top mesh and an EU plug (i hope lol) - I have black so i hope it looks okay.

fongalv

Caliper Novice
Jan 4, 2021
I too have been browsing Taobao looking for a suitable case(still can't decide) and saw this supposedly new 2021 design, the AKLLA A4 PRO.

It seems to be slightly taller and wider than the usual AKLLA A4 v2 and able to take a 280 radiator. I'm currently considering either one of the AKLLAs or the ZS-A4 v3, depending on whether I want to add an AIO.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...lv9kC&id=621907317021&ns=1&abbucket=19#detail

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
I was wondering if it's possible to fix by exposing the darker component under the sunlight for a few months to let UV lighten the color.
If UV has any effect, you could try building a UV curing box with UV-C lights (The nasty kind that will burn your skin and eyes, seriously be careful with them).

That should accelerate the effect dramatically, but obviously try it at your own risk, the effect might not be as desired.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I too have been browsing Taobao looking for a suitable case(still can't decide) and saw this supposedly new 2021 design, the AKLLA A4 PRO.

It seems to be slightly taller and wider than the usual AKLLA A4 v2 and able to take a 280 radiator. I'm currently considering either one of the AKLLAs or the ZS-A4 v3, depending on whether I want to add an AIO.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...lv9kC&id=621907317021&ns=1&abbucket=19#detail

Over on the SFFPC subreddit someone had one of these...not too bad:

ofc perfectionists would get up in arms over the color mismatch...which for what taobao cases cost due to shipping--isn't unreasonable.

Reactions: MaZo

KevintheGuo

Caliper Novice
Dec 7, 2020
It's nice to see the case now! But the color mismatch is a little disappointing - I wonder if the silver color would have better color matching?
In any event, my case shipped on Tuesday - I didn't order anything special except for US plug. hopefully it won't take too long to get here..

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Over on the SFFPC subreddit someone had one of these...not too bad:

ofc perfectionists would get up in arms over the color mismatch...which for what taobao cases cost due to shipping--isn't unreasonable.
The one in reddit is the 'older' version, A4 v.2
A4 pro is the 'upgraded' version. One of the improvements is that the holes are now chamfered.

Reactions: Skripka