Other What would you like to see in a ITX case?

Mopar63

Caliper Novice
Jul 13, 2019
I have to say the Cooler Master NR200 has pretty much hit what I am looking for. The feature set fits my needs and the price point is VERY reasonable.

Tonyblu331

Caliper Novice
May 9, 2020
PSU Support: SFX
CPU cooler support: 240mm Radiator
GPU support: ~2.5 Slot
Fan support: 5x 120mm
Storage support: At least 2 SSD but 3 or 4 will be ideal
Size: (LxWxH): ~17L
Materials: CNC Aluminum
Layout: Don't care as long as it looks sleek and minimal.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
I am interested in those tiny APU cases. Not the thin cases but those that can fit at least a 50mm height cooler.

PSU Support: PicoPSU
CPU cooler support: >50mm
GPU support: Not required, I have another dedicated 15L gaming rig.
Fan support: 2x 60mm or 80mm
Storage support: 2x2.5
Size: (LxWxH): under 4 L
Materials: Steel or Aluminum, doesn't really matters.

Check this out. I've got all the parts set for a custom water-cooled 4750G build in this once it ships next month (https://j-hackcompany.com/?product=j-hack-pure-mk2)

rainmaker33

Average Stuffer
May 8, 2020
Check this out. I've got all the parts set for a custom water-cooled 4750G build in this once it ships next month (https://j-hackcompany.com/?product=j-hack-pure-mk2)

I've been checking them out. I like their clean and simple design. I am more interested in the first version without the GPU slot but it's no longer available.
I wish more manufacturers make these type of enclosure. I might just settle for a Realan/e.mini H80 instead for the size.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
I've been checking them out. I like their clean and simple design. I am more interested in the first version without the GPU slot but it's no longer available.
I wish more manufacturers make these type of enclosure. I might just settle for a Realan/e.mini H80 instead for the size.
I had the same issue, decided to use the gpu slot for a dual 60mm rad. I bought his Pure X case to build a portable gaming pc for my brother in law (https://pcpartpicker.com/b/92rV3C) and its honestly my favorite case I own to tinker in, compared to the dan a4, salvo s402 and a K39. I'm really looking forward to the Mk2 and at the very worst figure I can use the gpu slot for any number of Pcie add-ins if the custom loop doesn't work/needs to be swapped out. (i bought a 1650 ddr6 for my bother in law's build and it plays most mid-tier games pretty well). I'm particularly interested in the possibility of bifurcating the slot to accommodate some dumb thing i dont really need to do

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
CPU cooler support: any waterblock or block/pump combo DDC/D5
GPU support: 2 slot in any sizes with waterblock.
Fan support: double 240 and 280 rads with 25mm fans.
Storage support: 2-3 SSD
Size: around 20 L
Materials: CNC metal.

+ waterplate or distroplate for safe space and allow more compact size.

Last edited:

saxovtsmike

Chassis Packer
Feb 25, 2020
GPU clearance minimum Slotcoverheight + 70mm, 3 Slot Cooler width + 15mm for Slim Fans, 330mm Lenght
Standard Layout, no Riser
SFX PSU
280 Rad Top (30mm Slim Radiator+ 25mm Fan) and Bottom( 3Slot Gpu aircooler+ 15mm slim or Slim Radiator + 25mm Fan)
Space for a propper Pump/Res Combination
Aircoolercompatibility for full Towercooler is defined throu mentoned GPU Clearance

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Going a different direction and saying better aesthetics. So many sff cases are plain square sheets, half covered in holes. I know extra things like recessed pci brackets into the rear of the case, carrying handles, etc add size but it can be done and still be small.

Comparing Mjolnir to a Dan a4 for instance, a couple of liters can make such a difference in style. Or the elegant Z line in the Zaber Sentry vented panels add some very nice details to a plain box imo.

Reactions: Walderstorn

rainmaker33

Average Stuffer
May 8, 2020
I had the same issue, decided to use the gpu slot for a dual 60mm rad. I bought his Pure X case to build a portable gaming pc for my brother in law (https://pcpartpicker.com/b/92rV3C) and its honestly my favorite case I own to tinker in, compared to the dan a4, salvo s402 and a K39. I'm really looking forward to the Mk2 and at the very worst figure I can use the gpu slot for any number of Pcie add-ins if the custom loop doesn't work/needs to be swapped out. (i bought a 1650 ddr6 for my bother in law's build and it plays most mid-tier games pretty well). I'm particularly interested in the possibility of bifurcating the slot to accommodate some dumb thing i dont really need to do

Looking forward to your new build. Do share with us the pros and cons of the Pure X case.
Really hope to see more compact APU cases being made.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
cons are only really the limited GPU compatibility. Cooler and PSU options are great, build quality is also awesome. It's only really undone by the fact that the Velka 3 and the K39 exist, but the thermals are much better and the build process is actually enjoyable when compared to the contortionist act you get with the K39 (I've never built in a Velka but from what I understand they're about the same experience.) If you're looking for something that's literally just a mobo and a Pico PSU, CustomMod makes (is making?) a 2.1L APU case (https://en.custmod.com/sl1), but the guy above's point its not an aesthetic that I'm crazy about.

That all being said, I'm entirely biased in favor of J-Hack. I've bought a bunch of parts from him and everything has been really well built. He's also been super responsive to my questions and has been very helpful.

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
I prefer a horizontal MB mounting like the LZ7, the J-Hack Pure XL or the 678 Case. You can include a short GPU with direct MB connection, but move the PSU (SFX) from over the MB to the side opposite the GPU standing up on its side. No need for legacy storage. The case would still be boxy and tall enough to allow for taller cooler & direct access to the MB without moving the PSU - rather like the LZ7 XTD but smaller without the space for large GPU's. Boxy style has enough room for fans.

Last edited:

HYPERBOLOCO

Trash Compacter
Sep 27, 2015
CPU cooler support: 165mm
GPU support: Vertical 3 slot GPU (fans facing into the case)
Fan support: 1x 180/200mm bottom intake / 180/200mm top exhaust (ala Silverstone Alta F1)
Storage support: 1xHDD cage support for 1x3.5+2.5 or 3x2.5
Materials: Brushed Steel or Aluminum. Interchangeable side/front panels with wood/marble/etc veneer
Shape: (LxWxH) Monolithic Column esque. Sort of like the old HP Voodoo Omen

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
CPU cooler support: any waterblock or block/pump combo DDC/D5
GPU support: 2,5-3 slot in any sizes with waterblock up to 340mm long
Fan support: double 240 and/or 280 rads with 15-25mm fans + distro plate for more internal space and more compact size.
Storage support: 2-3 2.5" SSDs
Size: around 20 L
Materials: CNC metal (Al is better)

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 12, 2020
Here's an idea for a dual purpose case. Dual purpose case meaning;
  • With a GPU card
  • Without a GPU card, aka an APU-Build
Looking at the image of the K39 Case below; the reviewer's hands are holding onto the motherboard mounting tray. Why does the motherboard mounting tray have to be in a fixed position at the middle of the case? It's obviously designed only for a GPU build and nothing else!!

If the motherboard mounting tray (along with the backplate opening) could be moved (upwards in this image) into the unused GPU card space then you would have plenty of room for an APU-Build with a tall CPU cooler (hopefully tall enough to fit the 70mm Noctua NH-L12S) ? Would that be so hard to do?

Last edited:

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Hello, I’m currently in the process of starting up a company for itx cases, and I’m trying to gauge the audience of what you’d like to see supported.
If you could fill out just a basic list of what you’d desire in one that would be great thanks!
PSU Support:
CPU cooler support:
GPU support:
Fan support:
Storage support:
Size: (LxWxH)
Materials: (aluminum, wood, or any other suggestions)
PSU Support: SFX or more
CPU cooler support: At least 47mm
GPU support: At least 270*130*40, around 300 long would be nice
Fan support: 1 or more
Storage support: At least one 2.5" drive bay
Size: Sandwich case <= 8 Liters
Materials: Aluminium, steel, tempered glass, good quality plastic maybe

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
CPU cooler support: ~75mm tall to fit Barrow CPU pump block with rotary fittings. Or 55mm if the case can fit a standalone DDC pump.
GPU support: 3-slot 320mm long air-cooled, 2-slot 265mm long water-cooled
Radiator support: 2x240mm 27mm thick radiators with 25mm thick fans or 1x 240mm AIO. Radiators shouldn't obscure the motherboard.
Fan support: 4x120mm 25mm thick
Storage support: Don't care. 1x M.2 is enough for me.
Front panel I/O: 1xUSB Type-C
Size: (LxWxH): Sandwich layout < 14L
Materials: Metal, TG window

I've seen Winter One which ticks radiator and fan support boxes but I prefer to build around an internal frame like in T1, and it's too big.

Last edited:

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
Id like to be able to get a smaller case that can accommodate the 210ish mm Zotac mini cards in a sandwich style layout. the YTC M69 v2 was the closest thing I've come across that was sub 5 liters to do so but that has been discontinued. It's always a bummer to have things like the 1080 ti and 2070S mini available but not in something smaller than the Skyreach 4 mini.