Other What would you like to see in a ITX case?

TbrooksGA

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Sep 16, 2020
Hello, I’m currently in the process of starting up a company for itx cases, and I’m trying to gauge the audience of what you’d like to see supported.
If you could fill out just a basic list of what you’d desire in one that would be great thanks!
PSU Support:
CPU cooler support:
GPU support:
Fan support:
Storage support:
Size: (LxWxH)
Materials: (aluminum,wood, or any other suggestions)

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
PSU Support: SFX (no need of SFX-L)
CPU cooler support: air cooler height 160mm (if this is not possible, the next step down is 135mm)
GPU support: 2.5 slot + 320mm 280mm length
Fan support: 3x120 (preferably two 120 intakes in the front and one 120 exhaust (or 2x80 or 2x92) in the back )
Storage support: 1x2.5'' none (M.2 format is the future)
Size: (LxWxH): 12-13 10-11 litres
Materials: stainless steel or aluminum
Others:- traditional layout without use of a riser cable, preferably without a transparent side panel but with a well vented one instead

Edited on 2020/11/18, 11/25

Last edited:
Reactions: Mopar63

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
PSU Support: SFX
GPU support: 2.5 - 3 slot + 250mm length
Storage support: 2 x 2.5''
Size: (LxWxH): preferably <= 10L
Layout: 1st preference is classic layout, 2nd is sandwich (CPU & GPU back-to-back)
Lots of exhaust holes - all the way to the front panel especially in front of the GPU. Good to be able to eject hot air early.
CPU cooler support: air cooler, max height according to layout. For sandwich I imagine 65mm. For classic layout usually it can go taller.
Fan support: 80mm and larger. Good to have, not compulsory
Materials: aluminum

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Layout: 1st preference is classic layout, 2nd is sandwich (CPU & GPU back-to-back)
Lots of exhaust holes - all the way to the front panel especially in front of the GPU. Good to be able to eject hot air early.
Yes, I prefer classic layout too.
And yes, front panel should have vent holes too.
And, vent holes all around the 'skirting' portion of the case (ie on both side panels and front panel) so that when hot air exhausts from the card in any direction, those can escape out of the case directly.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
And, vent holes all around the 'skirting' portion of the case (ie on both side panels and front panel) so that when hot air exhausts from the card in any direction, those can escape out of the case directly.

Yes, a lot of current GPUs have longitudinal heatsink fins pattern, which will eject hot air forward & backward. Having vents on the front panel will help to remove this hot air as early as possible.

I understand this is not going to be a clean-looking one but then again one can always make some nice design patterns using exhaust holes too.

TbrooksGA

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Sep 16, 2020
PSU Support: SFX (no need of SFX-L)
CPU cooler support: air cooler height 160mm (if this is not possible, the next step down is 135mm)
GPU support: 2.5 slot + 320mm length
Fan support: 3x120
Storage support: 1x2.5''
Size: (LxWxH): 12-13 litres
Materials: stainless steel or aluminum
Thanks for your input!

TbrooksGA

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Sep 16, 2020
GPU support: 2.5 - 3 slot + 250mm length
Storage support: 2 x 2.5''
Size: (LxWxH): preferably <= 10L
CPU cooler support: air cooler, max height according to layout. For sandwich I imagine 65mm. For classic layout usually it can go taller.
Fan support: 80mm and larger. Good to have, not compulsory
Materials: aluminum
Thanks for giving feedback!

Alexander

Average Stuffer
Jun 24, 2018
CPU cooler support: 240mm AIO
GPU support: 2 Slot
Fan support: 3x 120mm
Storage support: Not fussed
Size: (LxWxH): ~15L
Materials: CNC'd Aluminum (with plenty of holes in all the panels for ventilation)
Layout: Sandwich

Aesthetics are the most important element for me.

miptzi

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 20, 2017
The smallest tower style possible , but non-sandwich. Classic. Sized like metalfish T40 but 15mm taller for slim exhaust fan, and full front mesh for 2x120mm slim intakes. No storage slots, top with handle

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
CPU cooler support: 70mm
GPU support: 2.5 slot, 320mm
Fan support: 2x120mm
Storage support: 2x2.5
Size: (LxWxH) ~10l
Materials: Aluminum
Layout: Sandwich

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
PSU Support: Anything brickless
CPU cooler support: Anything that can hold a blackridge
GPU support: 2 slot Low Profile/ITX
Fan support: What ever fits that is quiet
Storage support: Just an idea...
Size: (LxWxH) Under 4L

rainmaker33

Average Stuffer
May 8, 2020
I am interested in those tiny APU cases. Not the thin cases but those that can fit at least a 50mm height cooler.

PSU Support: PicoPSU
CPU cooler support: >50mm
GPU support: Not required, I have another dedicated 15L gaming rig.
Fan support: 2x 60mm or 80mm
Storage support: 2x2.5
Size: (LxWxH): under 4 L
Materials: Steel or Aluminum, doesn't really matters.

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 12, 2020
I want an APU Case!! - Forget GPU!! - Forget Legacy Storage!!

CPU cooler support: Low Profile air CPU Cooler, but 70mm for cooling more CPU cores
GPU support: Forget GPU, or make a separate case that includes an (add-on) section for GPU builds
Fan support: Yes, remove hot air buildup from small cases
Storage support: Forget Legacy Storage; The future for APU builds is NVMe mounted on the motherboard
Size: Form follows function
Materials: Steel or Aluminum, doesn't really matter

I can't find this APU build case anywhere. Maybe APU builds are a niche. I don't see why. It's a damn nice build for non gamers, non RGB-ers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark13

rainmaker33

Average Stuffer
May 8, 2020
I want an APU Case!! - Forget GPU!! - Forget Legacy Storage!!

CPU cooler support: Low Profile air CPU Cooler, but 70mm for cooling more CPU cores
GPU support: Forget GPU, or make a separate case that includes an (add-on) section for GPU builds
Fan support: Yes, remove hot air buildup from small cases
Storage support: Forget Legacy Storage; The future for APU builds is NVMe mounted on the motherboard
Size: Form follows function
Materials: Aluminum

I can't find this APU build case anywhere. Maybe APU builds are a niche. I don't see why. It's a damn nice build for non gamers, non RGB-ers.

Maybe this is what u need.
Rajintek Ophion 7L

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 12, 2020
Regarding the Ophion 7L;

• I would want to lop off the top 10% and bottom 10% of that case.
  • I would want to locate the SFX PSU at the bottom rear sucking air from the case and expelling that air from the bottom rear.
  • I would want the SFX PSU to be modular because I only want two cables; the ATXPWR-24Pin and the 4/8-pin EPS12V power for Mobo/CPU, no power cables for Sata, Molex, Fans. Fan power would come from Mobo.
  • And, I would want (after-market) specific length cables to match my motherboard required length.
The SFX PSU naturally creates a void space next to it so that is where I would want a case fan to expel air out the bottom. An option would be to add extra case space on top for case (fans).

But I don't want this (survey) to be all about APU builds. I realize that APU builds may be a niche and that most ppl want their big GPU graphic cards.

Damprol

Chassis Packer
Aug 5, 2020
I'm readying an APU build, but I'm waiting another year or so for DDR5 memory to help out the graphics performance. I'm using a pico-psu with an external 240w ac-dc though so IDK about sfx cases. You could try something like an lZ7. I'm using a silverstone ml 10 for my build which supports cooler up to 63mm.

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 12, 2020
My InWin Chopin APU graphics don't need help. Though, I don't do gaming.

Yep, I looked at the Lazer 3D LZ7 and I would want to lop 10% or 15% off the side of that case reserved for GPU. Since the LZ7 is assembled from pieces why not be able to order slightly shorter/smaller pieces so that you could eliminate GPU space when GPU space is unwanted, or eliminate legacy storage mounting space when legacy storage is unwanted?

Reactions: Mark13

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
PSU Support: SFX. SFX-L is okay as well.
CPU cooler support: 60mm clearance is adequate for most, or support for a 120mm radiator.
GPU support: "Reference" style cards are generally all I care to support. Something around the size of the 3080 is fine.
Fan support: At least one 120mm. Two is very good.
Storage support: NVMe is the future, but space for at least one 2.5" might attract buyers. 3.5" if you can fit it.
Size: The NCase I believe is the pinnacle of size to performance ratio, so nothing larger than 338mm x 160.6mm x 255.5mm
Materials: Aluminum, or thicker steel if weight is no issue. Tempered glass if transparent anywhere. High quality wood is fine if multiple stain options are present. Any lighting source should either be white, or RGB-W, not just RGB.